Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

I'm looking into different phone mounts want to find something that is going to hold my phone securely, but also be out of the way of the safari hinges, what have you guys come up with? Currently I'm using a suction cup one that fits between the ashtray and steering wheel, but I can never get the angle right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epayne611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

I cut a little hole in my case and flush mounted a magnet. Usually I stick on the radio delete plate.
Only downside is every once in awhile walking close to something metal and the phone "latches on" through my pocket.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/SMART-EASY-Magnetic-Phone-Holder/dp/B00Q8XGLA6
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/SMART-EASY-Magnetic-Phone-Holder/dp/B00Q8XGLA6

I'd try that but the little metal disc that you put on the back of your phone prevents wireless charging Sad. I'll take pictures of what I have. I'll probably get a suction cup one similar to the one I've been using, but with more positioning options. Kind of like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRGOKQ8/ref=wl_it_dp_...&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

here's the suction cup one I've been using, but it's a little close to the wheel and kind of in the way of the hinge. You can see on the new one that is made to go into AC vents fits nicely between the lines in the dash...

i'll give it a good testing over the coming days and report back. It was only ten bucks, here's a link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014881T2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i'll give it a good testing over the coming days and report back. It was only ten bucks, here's a link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014881T2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

I'm old fashion - it sits on the seat next to me.
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

An older iPhone (5) fits perfectly in the ash tray.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

oldthingguy wrote:

This. A phone is the last thing you need to worry about while driving a bus. My co-pilot answers texts while we drive. If you think you're going to blue tooth in a bus, I'd like to see that with all the rattles and road noise. If I'm by myself, I check it when we stop. I do have a GPS mount, it goes in the vents next to the radio, similar to the one you mentioned. It's nice to have that while driving around Seattle for us. Like any big city...I don't even think the people who live there know ALL the streets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

Any phone balances really well over the speedometer. I drive by sound more than anything else anyway.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Any phone balances really well over the speedometer. I drive by sound more than anything else anyway.

Yes, I've done that with a GPS speed app running to check my speedo.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
If you think you're going to blue tooth in a bus, I'd like to see that with all the rattles and road noise.

The stereo that I suspended under the parcel tray on my single cab connects to my phone via bluetooth. The microphone is built in to the stereo that is at knee-level. Callers can hear me well enough. I have to talk up, but no worse than the OEM hands free system in my last car on the motorway.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
oldthingguy wrote:

This. A phone is the last thing you need to worry about while driving a bus. My co-pilot answers texts while we drive. If you think you're going to blue tooth in a bus, I'd like to see that with all the rattles and road noise. If I'm by myself, I check it when we stop. I do have a GPS mount, it goes in the vents next to the radio, similar to the one you mentioned. It's nice to have that while driving around Seattle for us. Like any big city...I don't even think the people who live there know ALL the streets.

I live in a city with a bunch of traffic so I always use an app called Waze to navigate. It will route you around the backups. But yeah not for texting, just for nav!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

so the first phone mount didn't end up working as I would have liked, so I found this one....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see it it's actually in a really good spot and I'm still able to open and close the safaris and it's not hitting my knuckles on the steering wheel.

Robbyvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

tha mount will be handy but it sure is ugly....

i've ordered a flexible kind of wire to attach, it should arrive next week... i'll post some pictures
volksfahrer.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

Very dangerous!!

Your phone will block the oil and generator light!

66 panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

Robbyvm wrote:
tha mount will be handy but it sure is ugly....

i've ordered a flexible kind of wire to attach, it should arrive next week... i'll post some pictures

yeah it's ugly! but it works Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

Aircooledaccessories.com has a really cool stainless drink holder for split screen that work real good for phones, drinks, snub nose 38, etc.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

Mine (dumb phone) is in my pocket. Works perfect, since I can't hear it, I don't hafta answer it.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

Amazon accidentally shipped us two selfie sticks, and it got me to thinking. Anyway, here's what I came up with. Haven't driven with it yet, but it seems like it'll be alright. If it doesn't work, nothing lost but a useless selfie stick. Not mods to the ashtray were needed.

Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Mounting - post pictures of what you've come up with! Reply with quote

zozo, how did that work out?

Here is a CD player slot mount. I trimmed it some.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: