Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical short process of discovery
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Electrical short process of discovery Reply with quote

This is on my 1985, out in the desert Southwest, middle of nowhere.

In the last 48 hours I have a cascading short ( I think) but the electrical system is my Achilles heel.

First I blew the fuse #8, ( this is 8 amp and controls the cigarette lighter, stop lights, and interior lights).

Replaced the fuse and after a few hours I blew fuse #2 ( this is a 8 amp and controls right tail parking lights, right side marker lights and front side marker light, and license light.

Noticed at that point that the #8 was also blown again.
As I was pulling over I also caught a very brief whiff of what I thought was a burning wire smell.

This made me think I would find a section of easily identifiable burnt wire under the dash, but it visually looks fine.

Driving a little further, looking for a place to pull off to safely dig some more instead of being on the hiway, I now also have a flashing red indicator for the coolant level / coolant temp, even though both are fine.

I'm wondering if these suggest to anybody a particular area I should be looking in?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical short process of discovery Reply with quote

id disconnect tbe battery except for test purposes at this point.

once disconnected, drop the fuse panel and inspect tbe wires and connections on back side. also examine the tail lights, as both fuses that blew are associated with the tail light housing.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical short process of discovery Reply with quote

Also check the ground stars behind the fuse box and in the engine compartment. If the grounds go out the electrons go looking for another path to ground often thru other circuits.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical short process of discovery Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate that.
Good ideas!
I WILL get this sorted
gonna see life my way

borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical short process of discovery Reply with quote

i would be willing to bet that you have corroded bulb sockets in one or more of the lights you mentioned.
the wiring @ the housings is next in line when it gets real bad.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical short process of discovery Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
i would be willing to bet that you have corroded bulb sockets in one or more of the lights you mentioned.
the wiring @ the housings is next in line when it gets real bad.

Thank you! This targeted the area.
But you were born in a bus so you know the electrical systems much better than I do.

I'd replaced both of the front turn signal housings before and remember how they were corroded, but since they were new took off the rear housings first. Remembering the fronts gave me hope this was the problem but, they looked brand new. Rolling Eyes

Figured I'd just try to trace the harness forward mostly because I didn't want to enter the wiring madness up front again, ha ha.

And I didn't have to go far... the right rear harness, near the license plate door, was not secured and had been rubbing against the body.

Rubbed through the heavy harness and 3 of the 4 wires were in contact with the body.

This did not take care of the flashing red coolant light but I suspect that I caused that myself during my initial foray into the under-dash wiring, and there's tons of posts here about that.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
Back on the road.
gonna see life my way

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: