Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

G60 on a Syncro
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

Hey guys,
My first post on here.
I own a 1990 Syncro with 16" alloys
I'd like to do the big brake thing
Question,
I have a pair of G60 callipers.
Is there a thread which explains the method to install these callipers on a Syncro hub? The carriers project approximately 12mm past the rotor hub face?
Is there a bracket that offsets this calliper?
Thanks in advance
Peter

Type 3 Syncro Kombi, EJ22 Subaru
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

http://www.syncro.ca/tech/audibrakes.htm
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
http://www.syncro.ca/tech/audibrakes.htm

Yep - the above link is the method I have tried - and unless I am missing something - it doesn't work on a Syncro Hub ?
As I said in my post - the calliper carrier projects 12mm past the hub/rotor face.
Peter

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

You have a picture of what you are trying to describe? Do you have something unusual like ABS?
I used the above instructions on a few syncros.
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

Like I said - I maybe missing something but I've followed specs (syncro.ca) including the 8mm spacers - it all looks good until you realize the carrier is proud of the rotor hub. Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

Peter,

Answering your PM question. The conversion you asked me about was on a Syncro 16" model. Do you have a true 16" or a Syncro 14 with 16" wheels added on? The only reason I had to resort to a 303mm ML320 discs is because the Syncro 16" has a suspension upright which places the standard T3 caliper further away from the center of the hub compared to Syncro 14's. Adding the G60 dual piston calipers would leave the 276mm-288mm discs too small for the revised placement of the caliper.

The disc you are using appears to be thicker than the Audi 100/200/5000 discs which most people who are adding this conversion have used. The vent holes certainly look nothing like the ones I've seen others used.

I would also ask to confirm that you are using the dual piston caliper vs. the single piston G60. The keyway which the disc needs to pass through is different in the single vs. dual piston calipers.
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

BenT
My Syncro is a 14" originally
Rotors are 25mm thick with a 46mm top hat and approx 280mm diameter - I say 280mm as I'm away from home at the moment and I can't measure them and I had 10mm removed from the diameter.
Calipers are Girling G60 dual piston units

peter

OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

The carriers will protrude outside the mounting face of the wheel, so not all wheels can be used with these brakes. As the article says: "Do your wheel shopping carefully"
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

I followed the same build instructions on my girling 60 conversion. I'm using rotors from a B5/A4 chassis, I believe 288/25mms.

I had a small casting flaw in the ends of my caliper where they'd rub the rotors, I used a hand file to remove the dimples. This fixed that rubbing. I believe original rotors for the G60 were 283 or 285 which would clear any casting imperfections.

I am also using 15" eurovan steelies this requires a lot of working the calipers over to allow the wheels to fit.

Good luck and double check with tools that your rotors are correct because they don't look like what I've seen. Yours look large!
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

peterT3syncro wrote:
... I had 10mm removed from the diameter."

This explains the odd appearing rotors (disc). 😏

peterT3syncro wrote:
- it all looks good until you realize the carrier is proud of the rotor hub.

Just clarifying to make sure this is a typo and not some regional terminology difference. Are you saying the caliper carrier "protrudes" beyond the plane of the hub? Wondering because your pics also make the rotor appear as if it will not fit through the keyway in the caliper carrier. Is that even an issue? As for the caliper carrier sticking out beyond the hub, it shouldn't matter as much as your wheels should have an offset to provide from the hub. This is where wheel selection becomes important. In other words, the mounting surface of your wheel is not like a flat plate. Am I making sense to you?
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

Guys
Thanks for the responses so far,
BenT
Yes - you are correct - if you applied a straight edge across the rotor/hub face - the carrier (caliper) would hold the straight edge up.

Some more photos below - with the complete caliper mounted and bolted up.

To be honest - I was pretty impressed with how it all bolted up - until I went to mount the road wheel.
The road wheel is a VW tiguan 16" with a ET of 33
So as far as I see it at the moment I have two choices:
A/ Find a different wheel with a hub mounting that has a clearance away from wheel centre (spokes)
B/ Scrape the idea

The likes of the Mercedes Vito - see photo - appears to have a clear hub mount but the offset is between 45 and 60mm depending on year.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

You have 3,
1; machine/mill off the material from the caliper that's interfering.

2; wheel spacers and hardware. This will change your offset.

3; look at the tiguan steel wheel, it may clear?

I honestly did exactly what you're running into. I had my brakes orange powder coated, bolted up and my wheels rubbed. Fortunately I have another set unpainted. I had to take material away from the caliper to clear my wheels.

I know it seems crazy, but you'll have a hell of a time trying to bleed the air out with the nipple at the bottom. Audi had it at the bottom I know, but we're shade tree!
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

I came in here expecting to find this:

peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
peterT3syncro wrote:
Question for Chris,
I own a 1990 syncro which was fitted originally with 14" rims
Previous owner install 16" VW Tiguan alloys (6.5 wide with 33 offset)
I recently fitted a big brake kit using G60 Girling calipers.
My recent thread is here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664566

M problem now is the caliper carrier protrudes past the rotor hub face.
What would be your recommendations Chris?

thanks in advance

Peter

I would suggest making a cardboard template that follows the contour of the hub, brake rotor and caliper. Then transfer the original template to another piece of cardboard to create another template that you can use to gauge the fitment of the brake/hub/caliper assembly into the wheel. That will allow you to see how far off the Tiguan wheels are and if it's possible to grind a little bit away from the caliper or if it's too far off and you need to find a different set of wheels.

Last week end I followed Christopher's suggestion and made the template so I could check a few different wheels.
In doing so, I thought I'd best start with other vehicles I own - that being a VW Caddy (nor sure what you call them in US? -small van based on a Golf)
My Caddy has 16" 7x spoke alloys fitted plus a steel spare wheel.
So I dropped the spare wheel.
And found that the spare is a 15" rim
Checked it against my template - and no go. The rim is too small.
So
I thought I'd check the Caddy 16" alloys.
Jacked up the Caddy, removed said wheel and offered it up to the Syncro front hub (with the large G60 brake installed)
And Bugger me dead - the wheel went straight on - fitted - no interference.
Rotated the wheel - fine.
Moved steering from side to side - fine.
Tried the same wheel on the rear suspension of the Syncro - no issues.
Having said that, the Caddy rim is fitted with a 205/55 x 16 tyre - so the profile is low.

Front Axle - syncro - Caddy Alloy fitted

View from inside front axle looking towards the rear

rear axle

rear axle

peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

VW Caddy wheel has a ET of 43
16 x 7 inch

ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

What part numbers did you use for the rotors?

both the rotors and the pads in the original write up have the first 2 numbers wrong.

Rotor/Disc
477 615 301 WRONG
447 625 301 CORRECT
Pads
477 698 151 WRONG
447 615 301 CORRECT
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

For my 2wd I have the following part numbers:

Disc (1998 VW Passat) 282mm

8E0 615 301C

Pads (1992 Audi V8 Quattro) Girling

441 698 151E
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

Hi there
The parts I used I have listed below - remember I am based in Australia, so possible part numbers may alter slightly (?)
The disc pads are to suit a audi 100, 200, 80, 90, A6 Quattro S4 front pads, local suppliers P/N:
DB 1253 or Bendix BCDB1253
http://www.ultracheapauto.com.au/bendix-front-disc...ro-db1253/
Rotors
http://www.dba.com.au/dba-part-finder/?view=part&id=DBA807

Note:
The rotors I removed 10mm from the diameter.
And
Syncro has a different hub to the 2WD version - neither can be swapped
Hence this thread - which is based on a 14" wheel Syncro - not a 16" wheel version (as built)

ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

Ok i misunderstood what the issue is.

I used 276x25x45 discs on my syncro. I milled the hangers so the calipers would be as close to the center of the hub as possible. 16" steel passat wheels fit with no grinding of the wheel or caliper.

I agree with dkoesyncro. Your going to have to grind, use spacers, or use different wheels.

There is a left and right caliper if your bleeders are on the bottom, your calipers are likely on the wrong sides.
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: G60 on a Syncro Reply with quote

You haven't read my earlier comment properly - the alloy wheel off the Caddy
fits
As for the bleed ports on the caliper - in the photo I have the wrong caliper on the wrong side - I checked and there is a left and right caliper.
The photo take was just a trial to see if the caliper and wheel worked - and it did. Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: