Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tar boards motor compartment
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

do your self a favor. and if you have loose tar boards . take them out or fix them ! it cost my friend his motor . the tar board got sucked in the fan and you can see what happened . I had to pound that rear main of the crank with a hammer the case is junk the pin that pins the barring is loose (junk)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Note ; there is an old thread on Samba that tells about having a rag used to check the oil sucked into a NEW engine and ruining it .
I found that i can stuff a small rag into the back of the bumper upright ; handy and out of the engine compartment .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

a head temp, oil temp, oil temp press. gage may save the day if the operator is watching the gages. install some monitoring gage to help prevent engine destruction.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I attached a $12 " Back up Beeper " to the oil light ; when the oil light goes on the beeper does too .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

not the point at all you don't need a gage a beeper or anything at all you need to do check your tar boards (its freee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
not the point at all you don't need a gage a beeper or anything at all you need to do check your tar boards (its freee

There is no need to bag on a guy that is offering free help. Maybe someone can use his idea to prevent the same damage that your friend experienced by not paying attention to his engine. Almost anyone that drives an ACVW knows and understands the signs of an over heating engine before terminal damage takes place.
Have a great weekend!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Let me warn you as well, the new tarboards with the waffle print become extremy floppy when they heat up. So make sure they are secure as well
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
Let me warn you as well, the new tarboards with the waffle print become extremy floppy when they heat up. So make sure they are secure as well

I think when I am going to replace the ones in all 3 of my cars I am going to put the tar boards in then paint aluminum like what they use in race cars and cover the tar boards I think it will look good and stay clean
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
I attached a $12 " Back up Beeper " to the oil light ; when the oil light goes on the beeper does too .

A fine idea for another failure mode. However, if oil pressure fails because of over heating it is likely already too late for the motor, or at least the heads.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Yeah I'v done a long block swap for a little old lady for this exact reason. It's not a matter of not paying attention, it's about knowing they are notorious for this.

This lady kept having overheating issues that were intermittent. She'd pull over, pop the decklid and could not find any problems. She had been doing all her oil changes and valve adjusts since 1972 religiously and very adept to problems popping up. Even after 40 years, there's always something new to learn. All the "car guys" in her family could not figure it out for weeks and tried to get her to sell the bug.

She heard about me and tracked me down, I walked up to her car, popped the decklid and yanked a huge chunk of tar board from the fan. Also checked for loose foam or pillows that are stuffed in the upper cavities, but nothing there. The tar boards were in ok shape, but the lower edge behind the shroud was flaking off.

Other things like the carb inlet pipe coming loose, battery terminals close to the seat springs, plastic fuel filter at pump.... All suspect on this near perfect 2 owner car. A lot of guys will say, "it's been good for 40 years so what?". If there's even a chance, address it now. Here we had a 1600 that was never removed, EVER and as soon as I even touched the carb fuel hose, the inlet pipe just fell out.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I'm fixing a 67 for a guy, and he put in some kind of replacement insulation, never seen it before, some kind of compressed cotton, but it was loose, so.....I ripped it out.
Yeah I feel bad, but, it's for the best.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

all said and done it cost my buddy 1200.00 check them tar boards
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
all said and done it cost my buddy 1200.00 check them tar boards

Don't have them. Good to go.
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I keep a rag stuck there too. I remember reading that suggestion here and thinking it was a good idea (you probably mentioned it).

grandpa pete wrote:
Note ; there is an old thread on Samba that tells about having a rag used to check the oil sucked into a NEW engine and ruining it .
I found that i can stuff a small rag into the back of the bumper upright ; handy and out of the engine compartment .
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

toddmin wrote:
I keep a rag stuck there too. I remember reading that suggestion here and thinking it was a good idea (you probably mentioned it).

grandpa pete wrote:

It's nice to be appreciated ; Thanks.....

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Did a check on my bug today, to start it as the weather is above zero.

Noticed the tarboards are curled up on the sides, after only being in the vehicle for just over a year.

Did a search but saw no reference to replacing the tar board with better material (metal) to make them last. Has this been done sucessfully ?

Tom
BotanyBandit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Maybe a question that's been asked elsewhere, but I was wondering if there were any consequences to NOT using the tarboard? I am considering using tintable raptor bed liner in the entire engine compartment. That should help insulate and deaden sound. Thoughts?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

BotanyBandit wrote:
Maybe a question that's been asked elsewhere, but I was wondering if there were any consequences to NOT using the tarboard? I am considering using tintable raptor bed liner in the entire engine compartment. That should help insulate and deaden sound. Thoughts?

I don't have tar boards on my '66. My interior is fully dynamat'd and carpeted. Plus I have a speaker shelf in the rear that further deadens sound. With my radio on I can't even hear the fan noise. Not sure why people are so hung up on tar boards when there are other ways of blocking out engine compartment noise.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Chris Vallone sells his own brand of tar boards. Anyone here have any experience with these?
https://youtu.be/MnHeCHHx9B8
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

How many of you actually keep a constant check on your oil pressure light when you're cruising down the road. Especially on a long trip in the bright sunlight? I think the beeper idea is an excellent idea. Most all modern aircraft use some sort of attention getter when a warning light comes on. If you lost oil pressure 30 seconds after the last time you looked, it'd save your engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: