Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

This will document the resurrection of my 1970 VW which I bought in November 1972 with about 40K miles from original owner, the newest vehicle I've ever had.

This got its 1835cc DP engine in Oct. 1976 because I wanted more power and update to dual port heads. This 1970 was my daily driver until 1993 when with 260K and with 2 kids I felt it was time to retire it to save about $500 insurance costs per year (drove it into my backyard for its retirement party; everyone brought their VW stories).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now that I'm now retired, it's time to get this running again. The tires were only flat on the bottom.

Its 1835cc engine had been swapped into my 1971 Convertible a decade ago. Anyway, grabbed the spare from my 1971 and mounted that, pumped some air into some others, attached my tow bar, and moved it for the first time in 23 years. Only the left rear wheel was stuck, freed that up with impact wrench and 36mm socket.

This engine is in it right now, the original 1971 engine from my Convertible: the engine we drove for 4 more years after the oil stud vanished in 2003 and Mrs. Cusser kept driving without any oil. This should make an interesting autopsy, hope engine case is OK to re-use, as matching number for the 1971 and never has been apart yet.

So got this into my driveway today; work will progress over several months as I'm older now, and it's still in 90s temperature-wise. I'll need all-new brake hydraulics and flex lines, new battery, will rebuild the engine (likely to stock 1600cc), will rebuild fuel pump (which was from the 1835 engine but leaked when swapped in a decade ago), generator and carburetor condition were OK 23 years ago, big question mark today. I'll need a pressure plate with center ring, as I removed the center ring to swap the 1835 engine into the 1971 a decade ago. I'll need new tires, new gland nut, and likely a host of other parts.

Next step is either to pull the engine or to pull the drums to see if I need new brake shoes in addition to the wheel cylinders and master cylinders; likely will just do new, as not expensive and will need to remove the shoes anyway to add new wheel cylinders.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

I look forward to this - I've always liked your down to earth approach. I'm on my last hurrah to retirement so I'm can add to the $$ bucket for later builds lol. Good luck!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

This will be awesome! Popcorn Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

This will be interesting. Hope it goes smoothly.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
This will be awesome! Popcorn Popcorn

USMCbug wrote:
This will be interesting. Hope it goes smoothly.

I should note that this is NOT going to be a restoration; this will be to resurrect as a driver, in all its patina glory !!!

With engine to be machined and rebuilt, possible transmission needed, new brakes, new battery, plus other items, my estimate is ballparked at $3K.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Still awesome. Pic of you in 1972/in car and then one of you in car after its done. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

You do all or most of the work and there's no reason you can't accomplish this goal. I'd even say you could come in under budget if you just do mechanicals. Do the engine yourself and take pics, you know folks here will help you. If you haunt the swaps you can keep costs down as well, plenty of good used parts out there. Sounds like fun, good luck Very Happy
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

I've been wondering when you were going to get this one going again. I would probably start with the engine, and while it's out getting machined you can pay attention to the brakes.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

The sooner it cools off in the Phoenix Metro area Mr. Cusser {[ not his real name ]} I am the as John Muir says in his manuals designated assistant. However seems like the project is getting underway. Looking forward to digging into this and get it on the road. Most of the work from what I understand will be accomplished by him. The big issue is the case, may be warped cracked or maybe just need align bore and deck surface. I am sure he will keep us all posted for sure.
Maybe a few more weeks for cooler weather.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
However seems like the project is getting underway. Looking forward to digging into this and get it on the road. Most of the work from what I understand will be accomplished by him. Maybe a few more weeks for cooler weather.

No, gt1953 - not rushing into this, just wanted to get the ball rolling by getting it into my driveway. I've got softball tonight, a retirement party for former co-worker tomorrow, going up north Friday morning for a few days. So basically mounted tires that could hold some air for 30 minutes on it, and towed it out from side yard, around the block and into my driveway. And I hosed leaves out of the engine compartment.

The engine is basically just held in by the bolts/nuts, no cables, fuel lines, exhaust, etc., so engine pull will be quick. I don't want to do that right now as then I'd have to drag the engine into garage and have it take up space for a longer time. And since I've decided to do new brake shoes as well, there's no reason right now to even open up the brake drums to take a look-see. Realistically, I should order brake parts and fuel pump/carburetor rebuild kits, and engine parts that I KNOW that I'll need - if I get around to it.

Gt1953 - I know you're mostly interested in the teardown of the engine, to see what damage was caused by losing all oil, yet still running an additional 4 years after losing bearing slivers. So I'll wait for you for that - just remember that I haven't been "in" a VW engine since 1986 with my 1835 !!! I know you'll be coming down here for Volkstock in early November - not too far away !!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

1986? So it's been 30 yrs VWs haven't changed,what has changed is everyone is taking pics and sharing info. I'm still building stock engines and have a camera just ask I'll send info as needed. Very Happy
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

I told you retirement was a good thing. Now you have time to play!

Take lots of pictures during the rebuild. Hopefully, that tin-can air cleaner didn't let too much water into the bowels of the motor.

I've gotten quite a few OEM parts from the Samba Classifieds. Some sellers are priced for novice owners, some more realistically. For instance, I needed a new horn button--the padded later-model kind with the removable Wolfsburg emblem. I saw them priced up to $75.00, but got a beautiful one for $30.00. Wtb ads can work wonders, too.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

From what I read here about "new" fuel pumps with pivot rods without clamps, and overall quality, I assume that the majority on the site would go with rebuilding my leaky original German fuel pump instead of buying new. Correct ???
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Good project to start a retirement. Have to stay busy or go to seed real quick. Jeff
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

"Correct ???" Yes!!! Dancing

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
my estimate is ballparked at $3K.

3k??

Have you forgotten about the Grapes of Wrath $200 engine build? Razz

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513083

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I assume that the majority on the site would go with rebuilding my leaky original German fuel pump instead of buying new. Correct ???

Have ya checked for a kit?
I have seen them for the early pumps with "threaded" fuel lines.

FWIW . . . In my '70 Beetle, I have one of the "new" fuel pumps with pivot rods without clamps that you mention.
One night, the pivot pin fell out of the pump. I replacet it with a long 6mm bolt . . . one that was only partly threaded so that a nut and washer tightens against the pump body, but the pump arm is not riding on threads. It's been working like that for two years now!

I kept my stock German pump, so LMK if ya find a rebuild kit that works for yer original pump!
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Cusser wrote:
I assume that the majority on the site would go with rebuilding my leaky original German fuel pump instead of buying new. Correct ???

Have ya checked for a kit?
I have seen them for the early pumps with "threaded" fuel lines.

FWIW . . . In my '70 Beetle, I have one of the "new" fuel pumps with pivot rods without clamps that you mention.
One night, the pivot pin fell out of the pump. I replacet it with a long 6mm bolt . . . one that was only partly threaded so that a nut and washer tightens against the pump body, but the pump arm is not riding on threads. It's been working like that for two years now!

I kept my stock German pump, so LMK if ya find a rebuild kit that works for yer original pump!

Isn't this it?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198555

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

I bought an alternator-style Brosol pump from Wolfgang International. It has a circlip to keep the post in. It was more expensive than other pumps, but it gave me 2.8 lbs. pressure without stacking gaskets.

I've had it for months and no issues.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection thread for my 1970 VW Reply with quote

Some people have reported poor results with that rebuild kit. The last fuel pump I worked on, I only used the diaphragm and gaskets. I didn't like the way the check valve fit so reused the original.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: