Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

G’day,

I have just finished restoring my 1500 44PS 1967 beetle (matching numbers, H-Motor). At this moment, I am having trouble with the engine running as it should. Number 1 and 2 are staying cool while number 3 and 4 are running at a normal temperature. When idling and running up to 1300 rpm, the engine runs quite okay. After that, I had the impression that the engine sounded very limpy or dragy. The compression is okay (all four of them are between 8 and 8.5). I still have to check if there is no air leak on the single port side (No.1 and No.2).
I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

Benno

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Beetle1966 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1966 Reply with quote

I'm not really helping, but that's a '67.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1966 Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I'm not really helping, but that's a '67.

Thank you noticing the error. Sorry, I don't know where the 66 came from. Very Happy Anyway, I made the correction. Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Nice looking car. My brother had a Euro '67 (1500, 6V, covered headlights, front discs, etc), and we all loved that car.

If one side is running hotter or cooler, I'd check for any obstruction in the fan housing, loose flaps/rods with the thermostat mechanisms, check if all tins are in place, then check for air leaks at the manifold causing lean/hot running, and even exhaust and heat exchanger leaks or other failures. Then dig a little deeper and check valve adjustments and plug color.

When did this problem first show itself? Was it uneven before the restoration, or is it new? What all was done on the motor?

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

yes, check for an intake air leak on that side, a squirt of carb cleaner or propane should find the leak if present. take a look at all 4 spark plugs, see if one side looks different. also ohm out the spark wires, and cap.

also recheck valve clearances.

oh and double check the spark wires are not going to the wrong plug, done that before!

good luck

ps very nice looking car, you done good Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Nice looking car. My brother had a Euro '67 (1500, 6V, covered headlights, front discs, etc), and we all loved that car.

If one side is running hotter or cooler, I'd check for any obstruction in the fan housing, loose flaps/rods with the thermostat mechanisms, check if all tins are in place, then check for air leaks at the manifold causing lean/hot running, and even exhaust and heat exchanger leaks or other failures. Then dig a little deeper and check valve adjustments and plug color.

When did this problem first show itself? Was it uneven before the restoration, or id it new? What all was done on the motor?

Thank you for the quick reply.
The fan housing is okay. All the mechanisms have been fitted correctly. The same goes for all tins. The only thing I noticed was the copper gasket on the inlet manifold (1-2) not being in the right place, which wasn’t sealing properly as it should. After taking the manifold off, the copper gasket showed on one side that it wasn't compressed (as it should). It didn’t give me the impression that it was sealing properly.
I will give it a go tomorrow. It’s too late here right now as it is 9:45 PM (CET). I will let you know if it was successful. Before and after the restoration, the motor was left alone and was running well.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Beetle1966 wrote:
The only thing I noticed was the copper gasket on the inlet manifold (1-2) not being in the right place, which wasn’t sealing properly as it should. After taking the manifold off, the copper gasket showed on one side that it wasn't compressed (as it should). It didn’t give me the impression that it was sealing properly.

This is likely your issue. On single port heads, often such gaskets get squashed into the head, and it just looks like the metal of the head. Then if you put ANOTHER gasket on, it won't seal or sit flush, causing your lean condition on that side.

I found a photo in the gallery illustrating this. (in this case, the copper is mashed and there is a second steel washer above it. If these were swapped, the steel would look like the aluminum head material.

Here is a thread with a photo of just such a case:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642632

I'd pull the manifold and check both sides very carefully.
Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

G’day,
Guess what I have found when I took the inlet manifold off? I found double sealing washers on both sides. The upper copper ones for no.1 and no.2 did not seal properly. Half of the copper ring wasn’t squashed properly as it should’ve been. This lead to an unwanted amount of air, getting sucked in. I took the old ones out, assembled the lot, started the motor and “Bingo”, the motor ran like a “Beauty”, as he should.
Thank you all for the big help.

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

It's so cool when someone posts an issue like this and how quickly it got solved with just a few posts from the experts.

Well done!

Applause
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

You have a beautifully done Beetle, Benno. Now that the engine runs well, go out and drive it alot!

Page 4 of the registration document shows "Jahr 1966"- this could've been the source of confusion. Here in the USA we go by the model year (1967), compared to much of Europe's "date of first registration".
Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

G’day,
I had another good day in the garage. The motor is still running well, but I had to adjust the valve clearance. I also checked the pressure on all 4 pots and I was happy with the kilometres the car has done (close to 97000 km). Next step will be cleaning the car, which is really necessary. The rubbers still need to go on the rims. Then the car will be ready for some more photos.

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Zenith Blue 67s rock! Laughing

nice job painting the rims, it will look a lot better!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:

Damn right they rock! Cool
Slow 1200's

Mine. Little Blue.

Beetle1966, Your car is just beautiful. Nice work.
Any chance you have a pic of the front brake setup without the wheel on? It's disc brakes right?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Should be disc brakes off the similar vintage Ghia. That's why it has 4-lug wheels, unlike the USA (drum) models with 5-lugs.
Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Slow 1200 wrote:

Any chance you have a pic of the front brake setup without the wheel on? It's disc brakes right?

Okay, tomorrow is Sunday. No work, a day to have barbecue. On Monday, I will take a front wheel off and take a photo of the disk assembly. It’ll be done in a jiffy, mate. Laughing
Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Here is something off-topic for a moment:
There’s something that just crossed my mind. A long time ago (1986), my family and I visited L.A.. At that time, we booked a room at the HEIDI Motel. There we met Chucks from Chucks’ convertible. After all those years, I lost contact with this fantastic man. After arriving in L.A., he even took us out for lunch. The attached photo shows him on the right hand side, the other one is, guess who, me.
I wonder if anyone knows Chuck. I would really appreciate anyone’s help in finding him.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Have you been to his website?

https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Beetle1966 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Slow 1200 wrote:

Okay, tomorrow is Sunday. No work, a day to have barbecue. On Monday, I will take a front wheel off and take a photo of the disk assembly. It’ll be done in a jiffy, mate. Laughing

I hope that these photos are showing what you want to see. As you can see, I still need to clean up the lot. The disc assembly is from ATE.

Beetle1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

I need someone’s advice on how to get the 6 Volt horn working properly. In default mode (engine off, ignition on, 5.5V messured on the horn), it just gurgles. Laughing When the engine is running, the horn works fine. Is there anything I can do to improve that?
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 44 PS VW beetle 1967 Reply with quote

Beetle1966 wrote:
G’day,
I had another good day in the garage. The motor is still running well, but I had to adjust the valve clearance. I also checked the pressure on all 4 pots and I was happy with the kilometres the car has done (close to 97000 km). Next step will be cleaning the car, which is really necessary. The rubbers still need to go on the rims. Then the car will be ready for some more photos.

This is a great paint job. What color ref did you use , because these rims are looking like stock.
By the way, congrats for your 1500 67. This is a rare combination in Europe. And is is looking complete. So thake care of this beauty.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: