Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

"The later brakes with 313mm rotors will bolt on to the earlier front uprights if you drill the holes out from 16mm to 18mm. Can't comment on a really early van like a '93, but definitely true for the majority of years."

I'm coming into this topic late, with a newly purchased '95 EVC. Could someone give some more clarification on the quoted comment?

I assume 16" wheels still be needed...?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

The bigger brakes from the '01-'03 vans definitely require 16" wheels.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Thanks...I was hoping that I would not have to invest in the wheels...but that will just be another expense.

What is the drilling that was mentioned...so that the original mounting points could be kept?
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

I used a later (2001-03) van's front spindles to upgrade my front brakes. I am not sure if you can drill the holes on a '93. The '93 vans were originally designed around 14" wheels and much smaller calipers / rotors. Here's why you need 16" wheels for the larger calipers and rotors:

Xtremjeepn wrote:

Stock 1993 front caliper vs the 2001+ front caliper.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is of course why they need 16"+ wheels.

CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Minor correction Bill, the early T4s would only accept 15” wheels and larger. I’ve attempted some 14s but they won’t go over the calipers.

wildenbeast wrote:
I used a later (2001-03) van's front spindles to upgrade my front brakes. I am not sure if you can drill the holes on a '93. The '93 vans were originally designed around 14" wheels and much smaller calipers / rotors. Here's why you need 16" wheels for the larger calipers and rotors:

Xtremjeepn wrote:

Stock 1993 front caliper vs the 2001+ front caliper.

This is of course why they need 16"+ wheels.
Awdrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Great job wildenbeast

I have a 1993 weekender as well and have a 1999 and 2002 parts van. Can I upgrade my 93 to the 01+ front and rear discs being mine does not have ABS?
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

With that 2002 parts van you definitely can do it. I'm not sure on the '99 parts. You could cross reference the part numbers with the 01-03 parts to see if they changed with the bigger discs that were offered with the 01-03 vans. Mine did not have ABS either. I've seen some '93 vans with ABS but it does not seem common for that model year.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

I have a 99 that I put 01-03 front brakes on. The 01-03 mount with a larger diameter bolt. I enlarged the factory caliper mounting holes in the spindles so that I could mount the 01-03 calipers on the 99 spindles. The amount of material on the spindles around the holes is the same between 99 and 01-03. I did this years ago and no troubles so far. Smile

Edit: Sorry, I saw 99 and missed that you are actually trying to put them on the 93. I don't have experience there.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Awdrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Great to hear. Appreciate your response.

Yes I agree it is def worth the extra effort to get the safety of the braking power.

Ok, so now for the real silly question... the rear drum just uses a cable and no fluid correct?

If so, I need to transfer over all the brake lines that go to the back wheels from the 02?

moderator: please don't block me for such a silly question. Smile
Awdrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Ok I see the brake line leading to the drum.

Wilden are those 205-55-16's?
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Mine are 235/60 R16. I wanted to go taller but couldn't justify it with the mountain driving I do as bigger tires would slow down the van going uphill.
Those Michelins pictured above came with the rims I bought. I never drove with them though. I have had Geolanders on my van the entire time I've owned it (originally 15s and later the upgraded 16s).

Awdrocks wrote:

Wilden are those 205-55-16's?

KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Sorry to necropost (reply to posts that are long dead) but unfortunately @tds3pete hasn't logged on for two years so I can't ask him this directly.

tds3pete wrote:
I replaced the stock rear drums with discs on my 95 EVC. I located a set of trailing arms from a 99 EVC and did the switch.

It was a plug and play deal, very straightforward. In addition to the added rear discs, the trailing arms widen the stance a little at the rear for better handling.

It does require an alignment when you are done .

Has anyone else done this swap (rear drums to 99 discs)? Is it as simple as purchasing calipers, rotors, and rear trailing arms? @wildenbeast's post suggests it more complicated, is that simply because of Pete using a '99 setup vs. the larger '01-'03?

The previous owner of my '95 Eurovan CV upgraded the wheels to 17" Mercedes wheels but kept the stock brake setup, the pads and rotors are due for some love this fall so I was thinking it may be time to upgrade?

225/50 R17
rdubois2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Upgrading the rear brakes from drum to disc on early Eurovans is not too difficult. You need the trailing arms, calipers, rotors, spindles, emergency brake cables and brake lines. I would also recommend getting them from a 2001 to 2003 because the rotors are larger than the earlier models. While you are at it, I would add the rear sway bar from a 2001 to 2003 also which greatly improves the handling. With the 16" wheels and rear sway bar my 1993 Eurovan drives much better in the mountains.

Based on my experience removing them from the donor, swapping the front upper control arms will be difficult, but is not required to use the later spindles. The bolts that hold the torsion bars on the upper arms are not easy to get to. If you plan to install new suspension bushings and ball joints while doing the front brake upgrade, you may want to swap the upper arms. The lower control arms are different than the earlier models and must be swapped to use the later front spindles.

I haven't swapped my front yet, I hope to swap them out this winter. I am planning to swap all four arms on the front and put in new ball joints and bushings while upgrading the front brakes.
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

rdubois2 wrote:
Upgrading the rear brakes from drum to disc on early Eurovans is not too difficult. You need the trailing arms, calipers, rotors, spindles, emergency brake cables and brake lines. I would also recommend getting them from a 2001 to 2003 because the rotors are larger than the earlier models. While you are at it, I would add the rear sway bar from a 2001 to 2003 also which greatly improves the handling. With the 16" wheels and rear sway bar my 1993 Eurovan drives much better in the mountains.

Based on my experience removing them from the donor, swapping the front upper control arms will be difficult, but is not required to use the later spindles. The bolts that hold the torsion bars on the upper arms are not easy to get to. If you plan to install new suspension bushings and ball joints while doing the front brake upgrade, you may want to swap the upper arms. The lower control arms are different than the earlier models and must be swapped to use the later front spindles.

I haven't swapped my front yet, I hope to swap them out this winter. I am planning to swap all four arms on the front and put in new ball joints and bushings while upgrading the front brakes.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't planning on upgrading the fronts yet simply due the the amount of parts/work needed to do it, but if swapping the rears drums to discs is going to be the same undertaking regardless of the model the parts comes from (2001 or 1999) than it's a moot point, the bigger/better brakes win.

I was hoping that going with a '99 setup (for the rears only) would be more of a "direct fit" situation though, with the model dimensions being the same; matching a 1995 & 1999 vs matching 1995 and 2001-3.
mpilihp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

I know this is an older thread but I have a couple questions.

First I read elsewhere when installing these components on an older Eurovans for 16 inch wheels and bigger brakes that the torsion bars need to be set for more tension to lift the vehicle more to provide clearance for the 16 in wheels.

Is this true and how do you do that and know you have it correct?

Thank you. Phil
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger or Better Brakes for '95 EVC Reply with quote

I have just barely started investigating this, but epytec.de shows options for T4s, just showing this as an option, I hope to find time to do the research to see if this would work, or if epytec has other options, to put rear discs on a 95. Maybe if I put it here somebody else will figure it out for me. Very Happy

https://epytec.de/en/FilterResult/index/value/mark...ult/484666
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: