Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locker versus Syncro
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

I want to turn one of my vans over to my daughter who will be using it on a fair amount of rough dirt roads. I have a syncro which will need a small fortune to make road worthy and my 83 1/2 POS which I could have a locking rear axle put into and can otherwise be gotten into pretty good shape (excepting paint) for a few thousand more. Also have a later van with an auto that would need engine work and a locker assuming such can be had for an autobox.

Just interested in others thought and experiences as to which direction to head.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker verse Syncro Reply with quote

The automatic actually off roads really well. I'd say better than a 2wd non locker. As long as you have momentum or don't lift a wheel, you can get a lot of places with the auto.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

I would spend the money on a good set of A/T tires and a portable air compressor before going the syncro route. For actual roads 4wd is not normally going to be needed unless deep mud, snow or sand are involved. Now trails and unmaintained forest service roads can be another matter. And even then driver skill and ground clearance are often limiting factors. This is my experience at least.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

I drove a 2wd van that had a Peloquin limited slip just installed. It drove great. You could really feel a difference. Apparently, they will tame crosswind gusts better than the standard open diff, along with the better off-road traction.
I want to put a Peloquin unit in my factory Syncro locker. I've been told you can run both - there's room.

http://www.peloquins.com/products_094.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

What kinda rough roads are we talking about here? Having driven a heavily modified Syncro and a bone stock 2wd with big tires on the same dry dirt roads and trails back to back at Syncrofest as well as exploring other trails and dirt roads in my 2wd, I don't believe a Syncro, locker, or LSD is necessary for dirt roads. A bone stock 2wd vanagon can get up anything that would be considered a "road" with nothing more than some aired down AT tires. If you are talking about trail obstacles, snow, mud, sand, large rocks/boulders, etc then that's another story.

ATMO

YMMV
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

I'm with drifter. A good set of A/T tires on that automatic and it would be quite capable. I'd put a well sorted auto with good shocks and tires at the top of the "makes sense" list.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

#1 cause for disablement is tires

#2 is gnd. clearance

after that, you will want 4wd

I agree on use of the A/T - the only problem with an old vehicle is inability to push start it
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I drove a 2wd van that had a Peloquin limited slip just installed. It drove great. You could really feel a difference. Apparently, they will tame crosswind gusts better than the standard open diff, along with the better off-road traction.
I want to put a Peloquin unit in my factory Syncro locker. I've been told you can run both - there's room.

http://www.peloquins.com/products_094.html

Hello, you would be swapping out the syncro carrier/locker with the Peloquin TBD. They manufacture a TBD that also has a locking feature, that will work with the syncro vacumn servo setup. Then you end up with a TBD that can also be locked where as the syncro carrier/locker is a open differential when it is not locked.

To the original poster, I am not sold on putting your daughter into an antique for a daily driver. Perhaps a good used Subaru would be a more practical vehicle. Our 2wd vanagon does fine on dirt roads, but is terrible on wet muddy grass.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

To the original poster, I am not sold on putting your daughter into an antique for a daily driver. Perhaps a good used Subaru would be a more practical vehicle. Our 2wd vanagon does fine on dirt roads, but is terrible on wet muddy grass.

Sorry but I don't see this as that much of an issue, the newest vehicle that my daughter has ever driven regularly is my '91 Multivan and at present she is driving my '77 bus, either has done her pretty well.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

a vid on 2WD off road.... as mentioned good AT tires and 12V air compressor...
I myself was surprised...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-bNOyahWE
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
a vid on 2WD off road.... as mentioned good AT tires and 12V air compressor...
I myself was surprised...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-bNOyahWE

Did you post the right video? That is just a dirt road, I would drive any car with enough ground clearance down it.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

oppss... sorry

Link

but the other one is still surprising he?

Very Happy
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

When my van was stock, I got stuck......alot. Wet grass and slippery muddy grass would get me every time. I put the GW lift on it with AT tires and I felt I could go most anywhere, f you are sticking to logging roads and surfaces with grit. Good tires and clearance to navigate rough roads are all you need. I found my limits with the above when I introduced mud, muck, snow, and make your own road. Now with the Peloquin I have no issues. Yes I have had to pull out the come-a-long and even back my wheeler off the trailer to winch my van through some nasty. If you are sticking to 2-track gritty roads. Clearance and ATs are all you need as long as the grade stays below 15%ish. -Chad
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

AKWesty wrote:
I put the GW lift on it with AT tires and I felt I could go most anywhere,

Don't want another tire thread, but what AT tires did you choose that work so well?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

2WD vanagon w. Peloquin going off road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4AkiH-uTpg
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
AKWesty wrote:
I put the GW lift on it with AT tires and I felt I could go most anywhere,

Don't want another tire thread, but what AT tires did you choose that work so well?

BFG ATs
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

I've seen a 2wd auto tackle a lot more than shown in the video!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And I'll have to find more. There was a thread about something similar last year?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
2WD vanagon w. Peloquin going off road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4AkiH-uTpg

Meh, any 2wd should be able to drive that, same with the other video where they stacked a rock under the passenger side to get over the obstacle.

The picture that Hans posted above proves better a van's worthiness for the OP's daughter to adventure in.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

MarkWard is right about a newer vehicle with ESC and ABS being a much safer vehicle for an inexperienced driver than any antique for a daily driver. And a good used Subaru would fit that well.

OTOH, we don't know how many years she has been driving, her texting habits, nor how many driver's ed. events she has taken at your local race track, autocrossing experience, rally driving, etc.

Idea a critical issue not touched on yet is what happens to her if the antique vehicle dies in the outback

which van is more reliable? you've been around here for a long time, so I assume you know that answer, or can find out
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Locker versus Syncro Reply with quote

If there is mud on these back roads, go for the LSD. I don't do any off road driving in my work van. However, there are a couple of driveways I frequent that have the kind of topsoil that turns to slick snot when it rains. With the weight I carry, if I just get half a tires width off the road base, I'm screwed. At least oncea year I have to get helped back onto the road.

Hans
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: