Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb distributor combination
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

I have 1600DP engine I have the solex 34 pict 3 carb with 09 distributor but there was another distributor in a box of parts. The carb has vw 427 on the bottom left of the flange and B3 262 on bottom right. On the tag which I wouldn't trust on a 43year old car because it is removable is 131 290 33C. This carb apparently never had a dual vacuum distributor because it has only 2 vacuum ports, one on the left which is plugged, close to the by pass adjustment and another on right near base that EGR is connected to. No vacuum ports on front.

The other distributor in the box of parts is a Bosh single vacuum only advance.
0 231 137 035
113 905 205T

Would this distributor work with this carb better than the 09.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

The vacuum-only distributor you have in your box is intended for carbs that generate a blended vacuum signal, which the 34PICT-3 does NOT do. (however I have seen them used on there and they "work" sort of, but you get no advance curve really, it's either no advance at idle then pretty much full advance whenever the throttle is opened)

Years ago I wrote a long explanation of the vacuum advance plumbing on VW/Solex carbs:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

In that thread I mention the numbers on the base flange of the carburetor, on the left side by the throttle arm, this is the Modification State number assigned by VW and DVG(the company that actually made them) and each one was for a specific application originally.

You gave us a tag number but you left off the first 1. It should be 113 129 033C, and if it's still matched, the base flange would be VW 427_1. And your description of the vacuum ports is correct for that carb. EGR fitting plus Vacuum advance fitting - the distributor was a single vacuum dual advance (SVDA) and used the popular 043905205 "034" distributor.

By the way, when you say "no vacuum ports on the front", you should say "on the rear" or "facing the rear" as such references are in regard to the vehicle overall. Wink

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
I have the solex 34 pict 3 carb ... The other distributor in the box of parts is a Bosh single vacuum only advance.
0 231 137 035
113 905 205T

Here's a link to the specs for your distributor:
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#A6970M

It is a SVA (or SVSA) and meant to work with the earlier 69-70 1500cc engine which had a 30Pict carb. These tapped the vacuum advance from the venturi area of the carb throat and require much less vacuum (~4In-Hg) than the later SVDA distributor that glutamodo referenced (~12in-Hg). If you try to run it with your carb it will jump to FULL vacuum advance as soon as you open the throttle and pretty much stay there.

You could try selling/trading your spare distributor to someone with an earlier carb. If you can find an original VW/Bosch distributor (VW 043 905 205, aka. Bosch 0231 170 034) ion good shape, buy it.
As a last resort, you may want to buy the NEW Pertronix SVDA distributor, which is just a clone of the 205/034 with electronic points.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:
I have the solex 34 pict 3 carb ... The other distributor in the box of parts is a Bosh single vacuum only advance.
0 231 137 035
113 905 205T

Here's a link to the specs for your distributor:
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#A6970M

It is a SVA (or SVSA) and meant to work with the earlier 69-70 1500cc engine which had a 30Pict carb. These tapped the vacuum advance from the venturi area of the carb throat and require much less vacuum (~4In-Hg) than the later SVDA distributor that glutamodo referenced (~12in-Hg). If you try to run it with your carb it will jump to FULL vacuum advance as soon as you open the throttle and pretty much stay there.

You could try selling/trading your spare distributor to someone with an earlier carb. If you can find an original VW/Bosch distributor (VW 043 905 205, aka. Bosch 0231 170 034) ion good shape, buy it.
As a last resort, you may want to buy the NEW Pertronix SVDA distributor, which is just a clone of the 205/034 with electronic points.

OK, I have more parts. I do have a Bosch 0231 170 034 VW 043 905 205 but I can wiggle the shaft. Bushings are wore. Can I get parts to fix it?

I also have a duel vacuum advance retard 0 231 176 028 VW 043 905 205C and a carb with 3 vacuum ports for it but the aux fuel jet behind the plug is stripped I can't get it out. I soaked it in carb vat for a day and 1/2 along with carb I am using. After that and washing and blowing it out carb. cleaner goes through it good. Apparently that jet is clear but not sure.

I also have another distributor Treuhaft type 10 is all that is on it. It is centrifugal advance only.

What would be the best option with what I have. The Thing runs pretty good with the 09. Present carb is good, runs with idle jet all way in, I like that. What about the Treuhaft carb?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

Well, the auxiliary fuel jet is part of the idle circuit, so if you test it and it idles good, it's probably fine...

Those late Bosch distributors aren't really designed to be taken apart and rebuilt.

That 205C was the distributor used in California in 1974 on manual 4-speeds along with the 34PICT-4 carburetor. You could just run it as an SVDA and not hook up the vacuum retard. (if the retard side even works, it often goes bad long before the advance side does)

One other note - you said what you have now runs pretty good, which is better than a lot of people say with an 009, so you might just call it good and not worry about it too much.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Well, the auxiliary fuel jet is part of the idle circuit, so if you test it and it idles good, it's probably fine...

Those late Bosch distributors aren't really designed to be taken apart and rebuilt.

That 205C was the distributor used in California in 1974 on manual 4-speeds along with the 34PICT-4 carburetor. You could just run it as an SVDA and not hook up the vacuum retard. (if the retard side even works, it often goes bad long before the advance side does)

One other note - you said what you have now runs pretty good, which is better than a lot of people say with an 009, so you might just call it good and not worry about it too much.

Since I am told my svda distributor can't be rebuilt and I can use my dvda with the retard not connected I think I gonna do that. With no place on my carb for the retard line that one less place to plug. Will that throttle plate have the right size hole for operating the dvda as a svda
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

You should be OK with the SVDA size hole in the throttle butterfly.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
OK, I have more parts. I do have a Bosch 0231 170 034 VW 043 905 205 but I can wiggle the shaft. Bushings are wore. Can I get parts to fix it?

Are you checking this with the distributor installed? If I understand correctly, some (or all?) distributors have an upper bearing but the lower end of the drive shaft "floats" and is held in place by the drive gear. The drive gear in the case becomes the lower bearing.
So if you are feeling a lot of free play at the bottom end of the shaft it may be normal. But if the top end wobbles a lot relevant to the body then you may have a problem. The person to ask is probably Glenn as he rebuilds the older iron bodied distributors, he may have more insight.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:

Are you checking this with the distributor installed? If I understand correctly, some (or all?) distributors have an upper bearing but the lower end of the drive shaft "floats" and is held in place by the drive gear. The drive gear in the case becomes the lower bearing.
So if you are feeling a lot of free play at the bottom end of the shaft it may be normal. But if the top end wobbles a lot relevant to the body then you may have a problem. The person to ask is probably Glenn as he rebuilds the older iron bodied distributors, he may have more insight.

The top wobbles, but how much is a lot?? I think it is too much because I can open and close points with a side wiggle, mot much but it will change dwell. Anyway I have taken it and the DVDA apart and they are almost identical. The point plate looks exactly alike and there is no # on either. The centrifugal advance looks the same except for a notch on lower part that serves no purpose.

glutamodo, you said these distributors weren't meant to be rebuilt, why? I took these 2 all the way apart except for the bushings. With new bushings and a new vac advance can that distributor would be just like new. The DVDA one is good, just needed the old stiff grease removed and lubed. I'm gonna use that one as SVDA
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb distributor combination Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:

The 170 034 distributor should have some play at the top. It has a separate points cam assembly held in place by a pesky c clip under the felt wick. It has plastic spring retainers that becomes brittle with age. Both of these items are part of the poor quality comments from those of us that rebuild them. Glenn does not rebuild the aluminum bodied distributors like the ones being discussed here. and I will only rebuild certain versions, the earlier the better.

Starting in the early 1960's Bosch began running two bushings in the shafts. Prior to that there were no bushings at all. The bushings take care of horizontal play which is hardly ever a problem. The drive dog and the metal and phenolic shims that go on top of the drive dog take up vertical play.

when you grasp the points cam and wiggle it side to side you are in effect advancing the spark which is entirely normal.

If the middle number of the nine parts numbers are the same the weights assembly will be the same. So a 0 231 168 001 and the 0 231 168 002 will have a different weights assembly than a 0 231 170 001. The points plates may be the same, it's "what lies beneath", the weight assembly and vacuum canister that makes the distributors operate differently. Just about the only thing that is the same between the early cast iron distributors and the later DVDA is that they both advance spark when operating properly.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: