Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Pans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

I've actually seen that thread, even posted in it Laughing . You say those are Brazilian pans, but they look like the WW pans. If they are the WW pans, I hope mine don't do that, because it will be the exact same set up. I'm going to a swap meet tomorrow, who wants to bet there are going to be NOS VWoA pans there for $100 each side. (No one, yea I didn't think so either) alright I'll order the pans soon. I have to get this done befor the snow. I don't have a garage.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

The Zito pans are fine. I have installed several sets of them. Most recently on my Super.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They fit fine. The WW pans are very nice too. Not sure they're nice enough to justify the price difference.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

I've actually decided to use what I've got Laughing here's my current progress.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Something definitely wrong with your welding technique there ....way too much spatter ...not too sure of the cause, those with more experience could likely tell you. You should be grinding those welds down with an angle grinder grinding wheel, or flap disk to make sure you have enough adhesion ...and just clean it up. You need a weld every inch or so ....top and bottom.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Something definitely wrong with your welding technique there ....way too much spatter ...not too sure of the cause, those with more experience could likely tell you. You should be grinding those welds down with an angle grinder grinding wheel, or flap disk to make sure you have enough adhesion ...and just clean it up. You need a weld every inch or so ....top and bottom.

I know I have to grind them, don't worry, I had to leave though so I just primed it so it won't rust. My welder isn't good right now, it's burning holes everywhere.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Right ....sorry. Didn't mean to be 'looking over your shoulder' ....lol
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Here are a couple of suggestions to make the job easier for you:

Install the crossbraces onto the tunnel first. They will require some tweaking to get a good fit and it is harder to do with the floor pans attached. Tack them in place and hammer and bend until they fit well, then ...

Fit the floor pans. I have never done a floor pan install that didn't require some trimming. Fit the floor pans, adjust, trim, tweak until they fit flat without having to stand on them. Drill larger holes in your pans so you can weld to the heavier metal under the pans.

Now here is the part you may not like. Put the body onto the tacked on parts to make sure everything lines up correctly. Only after it all fits well do you start the final welding. And, you need to skip around a lot when welding. If you do all your welding in one area you will heat that area too much and cause things to warp and buckle and move around.

Check out this thread, second page, for how you want things to look. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544918

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Install the crossbraces onto the tunnel first. They will require some tweaking to get a good fit and it is harder to do with the floor pans attached. Tack them in place and hammer and bend until they fit well, then ...

Fit the floor pans. I have never done a floor pan install that didn't require some trimming. Fit the floor pans, adjust, trim, tweak until they fit flat without having to stand on them. Drill larger holes in your pans so you can weld to the heavier metal under the pans.

Now here is the part you may not like. Put the body onto the tacked on parts to make sure everything lines up correctly. Only after it all fits well do you start the final welding. And, you need to skip around a lot when welding. If you do all your welding in one area you will heat that area too much and cause things to warp and buckle and move around.

Check out this thread, second page, for how you want things to look. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544918

I would put the body on BEFORE tacking the pans. Bolt the pans loosely into the captive rocker panel nuts, and make sure you have good contact with the pans and the lip you're welding to (weight pressing down). Looks like you need to weld hotter. More melting, less spatter. Bigger holes in the pan will help with starting the weld pool on the lip metal below, which is thicker and will hold the heat.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

I didn't use the Zito cross members. They were thin and I didn't like them. I drilled the spot welds out on the Zito pans and left the German members on the tunnel. Then rewelded the Zito pans to the German cross members.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

I would put the body on BEFORE tacking the pans. Bolt the pans loosely into the captive rocker panel nuts, and make sure you have good contact with the pans and the lip you're welding to (weight pressing down). Looks like you need to weld hotter. More melting, less spatter. Bigger holes in the pan will help with starting the weld pool on the lip metal below, which is thicker and will hold the heat.

Great suggestions and saved me from having to type it. Smile
07 Boxster
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

I tried welding them desperate from the cross member in the back, but it didn't work, but I think it would have if I had cut more metal off. The pans are alll trimmed, so firms that isn't an issue. I'll put the body on for the heater channels. The cross members in using are WW, mine were toast.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

That's what I did. Left that part of the German pan in.
07 Boxster
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Mine was worse than yours i think i have a picture.

they were both rusted terribly so i just replaced them.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Turn the heat up on your welder. Way up.
07 Boxster
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
Turn the heat up on your welder. Way up.

I can't Shocked all I can do is wire speed.

Bought it for $35 on sale
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I'm assuming you already have it on MAX? Might try turning the wire feed down and holding the wire on the part to be welded longer? Not many options to choose from though.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

You bought the wrong welder then. Search for a good used mig welder. Get the biggest shielding gas tank you can afford. You'll thank me.
07 Boxster
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I'm assuming you already have it on MAX? Might try turning the wire feed down and holding the wire on the part to be welded longer? Not many options to choose from though.

I think I have it on low because that's what it suggests. Might be on high. The get what you pay for part; I read in someone's signature once " the only cheap part of a VW is the driver", I guess that true for me. Laughing I saw a good deal and bought it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

Also ....those weld-to surfaces are way too rusty to welding to. You have to polish them up with a flap disk or sandpaper or SOMETHING to get good contact. I'm taking this thread off my watch list .....too frustrating to follow.
Good luck with your project.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans Reply with quote

What weld to surfaces? Those pictures aren't current. All of the surfaces I'm welding get hit with a 40 grit sanding disk on the grinder until they shine. I'm not trying to make this confusing, it's just this thread has literally exploded today in terms of responses for this topic. I keep getting suggestions, that I can't answer because I don't know at the moment. I'll take more pictures tomorrow.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: