Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tools left behind
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Tools left behind Reply with quote

Have any of you left tools behind. I have. Vice Grips on the clutch cable. Found them when I went to adjust clutch again. Wonder what had happened to them.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

I'm missing a couple of wrenches and I cleaned the crap out of my garage at the beginning of the summer so my guess is... yes.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

I don't have any tools Laughing
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

I bought replacements for pretty much every tool I own at least 3 times over...

"He who looses tools" would be my Native name in a crappy low budget western about aircooled VW's.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

back in the early 80's I was working in one shop on a squareback and my magnetic screw starter came up missing. Oh well. Fast forward to the late 80's, I'm working in another shop on the same squareback and I found my missing screw starter hanging from the body under the compartment lid. Shocked
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
back in the early 80's I was working in one shop on a squareback and my magnetic screw starter came up missing. Oh well. Fast forward to the late 80's, I'm working in another shop on the same squareback and I found my missing screw starter hanging from the body under the compartment lid. Shocked

now that's a trip...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

Not a tool exactly but I left my Bus church key hanging from the back gate latch of my Single Cab years ago while working on it in my driveway.

I could have swore I never drove anywhere before it went missing but it was gone later the same day.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

most found tool was the magnetic wrench used to secure the long starter bolt nut.- back before D heads.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

I worked on a customer's T4 bus in 2013, and left my ratcheting 10mm box wrench on the distributor timing clamp. Three years later, I bought the bus from them and got my wrench back. I was ecstatic. Totally worth $1500 to get the wrench back. Laughing

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

I lost a 13/16 socket and 3/8 drive ratchet momentarily while doing a valve adjustment on a customers car. I found it when I went to start the car it spun around and off the generator pulley nut into the deck lid making a small dent. Neither my boss nor the owner was happy but it was a teaching moment. Here at work a fellow left one bolt in the intake of a jet engine on a DC10. It subsequently was ingested upon starting. It caused 6 million dollars damage and he got a week off. The rest of his career we called him "the 6 million dollar man". You gotta love it.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

I have a 21 year old son and a neighbor. Both like to borrow my tools. Unfortunately some never make it back.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

These stories are interesting. By the way I do not leave my vice grips on the clutch cable anymore.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

Not a tool, but I just found a pair of sunglasses that "disappeared" back at the start of Summer, when I re-charged the A/C in girlfriends car.

Yesterday, I rec'd a shipment for ISP that contained someone's box cutter. Laughing Wonder if I should pay the postage to ship it back? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Have any of you left tools behind. I have. Vice Grips on the clutch cable. Found them when I went to adjust clutch again. Wonder what had happened to them.

I worked at a VW/dune buggy rental agency in 1974 "Sun Buggy Rentals"), we also did work for outside customers. I did EXACTLY the same on one of the dune buggies, found Vise-Grip and retrieved it a month later.

Years later, I had broken off the battery retaining stud off my 1971 VW, nut must've rusted on. I drilled a hole through the pan, pushed a hex bolt up from underneath, put on a nut to hold that bolt in place as a "stud", and used the same Vise-Grip horizontal on that bolt head to hold it from turning as I tightened that holding nut, and again forgot about the Vise-Grip. Months later, it was still holding on.

That Vise-Grip was purchased in 1962, I still use it all the time. I don't like aftermarket, off-patent copies of these, have recently bought some genuine ones at garage sales for 50 cents to $1, they clean up well in vinegar. On one I had to add a new spring.

VERY handy Vise-Grip line extensions were the needle-nose (which I actually envisioned way back, turns out Vise-Grip was trying to find an alloy strong enough for the narrow snout), bent needle nose VG, and especially the LC-12
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One tiny bent needle-nose VG I had since new was defective as jaws wouldn't tighten all the way for small stuff; just recently I drilled out the rivet, and ground down the metal a little, then re-assembled with a screw and locknut, works great now.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

Quote:
Vice Grips on the clutch cable.

And I thought I was the only one who did this Embarassed
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

Lets pour a little out, for all the tools we have lost along the way.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Deja vu for me, except it was needle nose vise grips inside a door and it was almost 20 years later I found them.

Scored a few other mechanics' leavings as well over the years, the memorable ones are a sweet pair of Snap on slip joint pliers in a car, and a rivet bucking bar inside the wing of a Piper Cherokee that had been riding around in there for 40+ years.

And yes, I did the wrench on the generator nut deal just once as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

And yes, I did the wrench on the generator nut deal just once as well.

Me, too. No damage, but a helluva bang and a new stripe in the shorts.

Also have done the clutch cable/vise grips story. Thankfully only on my own VW.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

I use a 3/8" 13mm universal snap on socket to loosen the distributor and it went missing in action. I found it a few years later in front of the rear pulley slightly ground down
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tools left behind Reply with quote

...Can't even count the sockets & wrenches that always seem to fly out from the frame head area within 1 mile of pulling out of the driveway after doing anything up front. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: