Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

Hi All-

I went through a carwash a while back and it had a top brush at the exit end of the tunnel that took my DS wiper for a ride up the windshield. It did not break off and I was surprisingly able to return it to position. It did operate properly until today. I attached some pics as I removed the assembly. There is a shear bolt/hex cup that has enough resistance to allow wiper arm to travel but will strip out to protect the arm and prevent body damage. I have never had one apart so I thought this is a cool design and posted some pics. They are only $1.30-$2.00 a piece so you might want to order a couple to throw in your bag on you next parts run.

I searched here, looked in my Bentley and Chilton's without finding anything on this cap.

Bus Depot calls it a Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover. Other vendors have some as well.

http://www.busdepot.com/211955275a

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

use a small exacto blade to clean the serrations in the spindle before you push the wipe back on.

Now the bad news, the wiper motor has a plastic gear in it that easily cracks. If it does after that event the wiper will be slow then stop. The fix is in classifieds. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1720906
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

ac78 wrote:
There is a shear bolt/hex cup that has enough resistance to allow wiper arm to travel but will strip out to protect the arm and prevent body damage.

There's a possiblility you may have misinterpreted the function of that cap, it's just a cap, purely decorative, the act of retightening the nut in the middle of the arm hole is likely what restored your wiper action.

If that larger nut that holds the pivot to the body is turning with the wipers you have siezed pivot shafts and your plastic gear in the motor is doomed.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

each time the wiper arm moves independent of the center shaft.
you'll want to use a pick and clean out those little grooves, those are what actually do the job you were thinking the plastic nut did..
if it happens alot you'll have removed too much material and would require new wiper arms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

73-79 wiper assembly removal and lube
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7421198#7421198

Wiper Refresh FAQ
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445921&highlight=

Bug but you get the idea
Wiper Motor Tutorial on removing, diss-assembling, cleaning
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6270827&highlight=#6270827

thnx mayor ratwell

Good luck
Tcash
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

That cap is NOT "purely decorative" it acts as a seal to prevent water from getting in the bushing and seizing the shaft. They wear out over time and should be changed. Hard to find good ones these days that do the job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

Thank you for all the responses and especially the links. I was not search for terms that would have lead me there. Have check my Bentley again to find that exploded view.

I do find it curious that the cap has a hex end and no value. I did make assumption based on the wiper giving vs getting ripped off the bus. Maybe I'm dead wrong on that and spent too much time changing out snowblower bolts...

I did tighten it back down and seems to be functioning but from what you guys are describing I may have stripped out that gear on the motor a bit.

Edited- btw, is one arm spring supposed to have much more tension on it? My PS was much harder to deal with because of the spring.

Thx!

VW Campmobile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

What happens sometimes is this nut loosens up.

But do to the wiper arm and this shaft being different metals, tapered and splined. The wiper arm gets stuck on there even though the nut it loose. Maybe when the brush hit it, it knocked it loose.

If the nut is tight and the wiper arm still moves, the splines in the arm or on the shaft are stripped out.

Tcash
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

Thx tcash! I'll monitor and take it back apart this weekend for more thorough cleaning.

VW Campmobile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Spindle Cover PSA Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
That cap is NOT "purely decorative" it acts as a seal to prevent water from getting in the bushing and seizing the shaft. They wear out over time and should be changed. Hard to find good ones these days that do the job.

Correct, I meant as far as the mechanical function of the wipers it's not a player. But yes it is a seal, the hex is to keep it from rotating along with the shaft.

Ac78, the spring tension should be the same for both arms, springs get weak or bent, or the hinge where it folds away from the glass wears, all add up to crappy wiper performance.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: