Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
SGKent wrote:
aeromech wrote:
I need to speak to Cynthia about this but here's my plan.

I have a complete long block in a basket that I purchased a few months ago when I bought my 1971 bus. This morning I spoke to my engine builder, Kenyon Machine, and we agreed that tomorrow morning I can bring this engine to him to inspect and start the process of building the long block. That way, we can save a ton of time.

Cynthia also is considering having me do a brake booster mod because she's having a hard to stopping the bus. I've done this several times with good results and even spoke to my welder Carlos this morning about fabricating a plate and welding it to the beam.

sounds like a good plan Gary

Sure does. My only suggestion on a mostly stock 1776 is to makes sure it is dynamically balanced. there is nothing like a long life, smooth running engine.

Yep. Kenyon has a shop he sends the rotating parts out to for balancing. I'll be sure to include that clutch plate too.

Depending on what he finds, I might opt for brand new heads. Century Distributors sells new heads that use the deep reach T4 style spark plug. Century has been a greats source for parts in the past.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Brian wrote:
Luckily we have a spare bug you can use I guess.

Caveat: it doesn't have any brakes sometimes. Want to learn how to work on brakes?

And rebuild starters

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow those jeans.

I have a 1776 with dual Dells and straight cut cam gears for a little whirring sound and things have been extremely reliable for 6+ years. I think it depends on who builds your motor and how and more importantly upkeep of the engine.

Sad to see VW shops still ripping people off by thousands (what it sounds like to me) and thinking they can get away with it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Cynthia also is considering having me do a brake booster mod because she's having a hard time stopping the bus. I've done this several times with good results and even spoke to my welder Carlos this morning about fabricating a plate and welding it to the beam.

How big of an improvement is this Gary on an all drum 70 bus? I've seen your thread where you did this before and was curious what percent improvement it was? Now, I've never driven a booster assisted bay bus before.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I loved my 1970 with tight adjusted drums and two leading shoes on front, but my 1971 with boosted stock discs was like throwing out four anchors in comparson - they are sweet.

I would hold off on spending her money and get the drums working perfectly though, they are pretty good.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Cynthia also is considering having me do a brake booster mod because she's having a hard time stopping the bus. I've done this several times with good results and even spoke to my welder Carlos this morning about fabricating a plate and welding it to the beam.

How big of an improvement is this Gary on an all drum 70 bus? I've seen your thread where you did this before and was curious what percent improvement it was? Now, I've never driven a booster assisted bay bus before.

If there were unlimited funds available I would consider adding a front disc brake kit and compatible master cylinder along with the booster. $2000 Shocked The booster alone will require less foot force but it will not change the stopping distance or eliminate the need for periodic adjustment.

Aloha
tp
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

It's extreme. Works great. Photobucket is down or I'd show you pictures.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I am sure sorry to see you having issues, Cynthia, but sounds like you are on the right path now. I know it can be frustrating dealing with issues. Once this is behind you, you should have a good, reliable VW. These really are great vehicles and if sorted properly, give very little trouble. Like anything else sometimes you have to spend some time and money fixing previous issues. Hoping the rest goes well!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

See you when you get here girl. Ill have either some dogs ready or Jalapeno Pineapple Grilled Chicken Breast. Cool

Drive safe.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I would hold off on spending her money and get the drums working perfectly though, they are pretty good.

Pretty sure that part of her $2800 went to having brake work done and she is still having trouble stopping.

Several years ago I had a gal named Brook Empe come to me for some work on her very nicely restored 1968 Camper. She said that it was so hard to stop when going down hill that she had to push on her knee with her hand to give more pressure. I installed the booster.... problem solved.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Pretty sure that part of her $2800 went to having brake work done and she is still having trouble stopping.

Several years ago I had a gal named Brook Empe come to me for some work on her very nicely restored 1968 Camper. She said that it was so hard to stop when going down hill that she had to push on her knee with her hand to give more pressure. I installed the booster.... problem solved.

I have to admit that I've thought of retrofitting a booster on my bus so my gal can drive it w/more confidence. I've also noticed this bus is much more sensitive to brake pull than my bugs if the front brake pad adjustments get off much.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing and don't forget that English made electric power steering. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

can there be an end to it??? somebody STOP ME---

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
See you when you get here girl. Ill have either some dogs ready or Jalapeno Pineapple Grilled Chicken Breast. Cool
Drive safe.

Is the Cookout today or next Saturday. Think

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Tomorrow

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Tomorrow

Oops my bad, forgot Im a day ahead of you. Have fun y'all.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Tomorrow

Oops my bad, forgot Im a day ahead of you. Have fun y'all.

Dont forget to buy some of that real expensive Emperor tea before you leave.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Bummer about your engine issue!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Her engine issue has led her to living the next phase of her life with a decent set of folks looking out for her by making her self sufficient.

Getting help when getting started is what it's all about. All the stories about self made people aren't the ones to follow, it's the 99.999% others who did it by learning and giving back as soon as you can.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Her engine issue has led her to living the next phase of her life with a decent set of folks looking out for her by making her self sufficient.

Getting help when getting started is what it's all about. All the stories about self made people aren't the ones to follow, it's the 99.999% others who did it by learning and giving back as soon as you can.

well said - much of what I have learned in my life if from other professionals who were willing to share and pass on their knowledge. She is in good hands now.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Got to meet Emma and Sven plus Cynthia sans Sunny the bus tonight at Jasons.
We jumped in Jason's camper for a ride with his super Camper Special, wow, nice engine! Lot's of other great people so it was fun to meet and talk to you all.

87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 52

Jump to: