Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I really hope this turns out well but my experience says it probably will not.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

Not all pigs have lipstick, and not all lipstick is on pigs. TheSamba is here to clean the lipstick and find the beauty.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I'm talking about life outside The Samba. For some, that is tough to comprehend. But I've found that when you show the world something nice and shiny and beautiful one of the most common outcomes is shit.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

You will want to read the owners manual and pay close attention to driving instructions.
You cannot drive these like a new car. A well tuned 1600cc in a 68, top speed
where it is happy is like 60 mph. With short burst to 65.

Owners manuals
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php

GD
Tcash
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

Link

This is getting very old.

Wishing the new bus owner a very happy journey. Don't rush it Smile
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
This is getting very old.

I think the Rustoleum part gets me the most.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I really hope this turns out well but my experience says it probably will not.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

chabanais, can't you smell the money everytime you open this thread? I'm sure she'll be just fine.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
chabanais, can't you smell the money everytime you open this thread? I'm sure she'll be just fine.

An inexperienced, non-mechanic and first time air cooled VW owner buys a lovely 48 year old vehicle and plans to drive it thousands of miles to live in it for three months and park it in LA.

What could go wrong?

Smile
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

NYCynthia wrote:
Do you happen to know a good mechanic in seattle area? I looked at roadhaus but im open to your recommendation. My brakes could be replaced last time I drove her and I want to fix the windshield wipers they are kinda finicky.

Ovals in Fife is good and on the way heading south.
Then you also have Franklins in Auburn or NW Connecting Rod in Kent, but both Franklin and Jerry are frequently either booked up or MIA. Call ahead.

A better and cheaper bet would be to take Bleyseng up on his offer. Let some VW gearheads go over your bus before the long trip.

I also second going down the coast through Washington and Oregon. Much more scenic than I-5.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Good idea awreed.

If you don't find anything that time permits in Seattle. Portland has many shops that can handle that job too. Plus it's not a bad place to be stuck for a few days. Easy to get around. Lots to do.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Bad ass.. Enjoy..
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
richparker wrote:

An inexperienced, non-mechanic and first time air cooled VW owner buys a lovely 48 year old vehicle and plans to drive it thousands of miles to live in it for three months and park it in LA.

What could go wrong?

Smile

Very little, since she is an intelligent, well-grounded, pleasant individual who will plan her trip and reach out for help if needed.
Dr.Desmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Hey NYCynthia,
I did the same thing - dropped out of college cos' the surf was calling me.
It was fun and I don't regret it, even if I did miss out on a high paying job and lots of stress. Don't forget to use a plastic tub to throw your bikinis or wettie in as salt water + floorpan equals rust!
Have fun and get some good waves -all the best.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I took the "off ramp" of life 25 years ago and ended up just fine. There are many,many ways to live a happy life and make the money you need. Please post pictures of you journey and ignore the grumps. I started my first road trip in my 1964 splitty with 18$ and a handful of mushrooms back in the 80's. I learned bunch about VW's on the adventure I would have never absorbed under normal conditions.
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
richparker wrote:

What could go wrong?

Smile

Oh word?

I will not drive thousands of miles on my bus. Just from Seattle to La/san Diego. I hope to find a great surf spot for my skill level and camp out there for up to 3 months as I use my bus as a mobile office to work on my business plan. My primary vehicle is my Honda Accord. I don't plan on parking it on the streets of LA. I plan to keep it in a garage long term but wanted to experience living the van life for a bit despite the fact I actually do have a place to stay in LA.

I respect your opinion based on your experiences. Anything could go wrong, that's life. The bigger question would be am I finically or mechanically prepared if something does go wrong? The answer is yes. I may be inexperience and nonmechanic but I am heavily invested in taking good care of my bus. Sunny is my mascot/logo for my distribution company I'm starting up in california. I'm going to take her to events for marketing purposes. My business start up budget already includes any potential issues the bus will have. That's why I invested in a lovely bus with 79k miles in hopes that it would have less mechanical issues.

I am a first time air cooled vw bus owner but we all got to start somewhere right? I'm putting myself out there by introducing myself on samba. I have a lot of free time which I plan to utilize learning all about vw bus' and how to fix them to keep cost of having one down. This is all part of my journey of finding the perfect balance of work and pleasure. I have the time to work an apprenticeship for any one with a vw bus just to gain knowledge about these lovely vehicles.

My uncle in northern Cali owns a mechanic shop and when I reached out to him he said fixing cars is a man's job and was very condescending. I will always experience challenges but what's important is how you tackle it and move forward.

I give you my word that I will try my best to prove you wrong. I can only grow from these experiences. I'm not your average 24 year old girl.

Cheers,

Cynthia
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

NYCynthia, after a statement like that it is customary on The Samba to post a picture of a microphone dropping Wink Please follow protocol Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
NYCynthia, after a statement like that it is customary on The Samba to post a picture of a microphone dropping Wink Please follow protocol Laughing

x2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Damn.

Let me and asiab3 know when you're heading through Carlsbad, lots of surf over here.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Not a week on the Samba Bay forum and she already sounds like a crabby old man.

She's doing just fine.
72 Baja
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

NYCynthia wrote:
Sunny is my mascot/logo for my distribution company I'm starting up in california. I'm going to take her to events for marketing purposes. My business start up budget already includes any potential issues the bus will have. That's why I invested in a lovely bus with 79k miles in hopes that it would have less mechanical issues.

someone say krabby?

so, I hate to burst your bubble, but being a n00b, you may (or may not) take what I have to say to heart.....

I think your plan is flawed...here's why. you are going to go to the west coast...vw's are a dime a dozen there...no one gives a shit. every 10th car in so cal is a aircooled...

the bus has been sooooo played out in terms of advertising. I think you may have much better luck going to a place where a vw is seldom seen. that is just my .02. if you want the "wow factor" you need to go to a place that doesn't see them on a regular basis...example:

bring your bus to a vw show....no one cares. bring it to a "domestic" cruise night....you'll get way more attention than the guy with the 1 owner window sticker still on it '53 corvette.....just sayin'

that said, you have to be the most well sorted n00b that has posted here in a long time, you are not the average broke ass kid with some cobbled up shitbox planning to rule the roads 'looking for yourself'. I wish you the best of luck, and have fun. it sounds like you have access to the means to make it happen

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Skills! Shocked

Link

I'll retort after work Wink

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 52

Jump to: