Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

<<out of office reply>>

Hi! Its Cynthia and Im not available right now! Im out surfing!

Leave a message and Ill reply in the Spring...oh wait..that never comes here...its always Summer
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

HelmutofBuffalo wrote:
Popcorn

^^^^ X2
Hey Cynthia how about an update. I am sitting here in Buffalo, N.Y. My Bus is in storage and it's 20 degrees outside, wishing I could be out there doing what you are doing. Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

X2^^

And wow, its like looking in a mirror! lol

snow+car cover+cold+beer. It does look a little brighter there though. It's always dark by the time I get off work (5pm).
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

That reminds me of the Jimmy Buffett lyric:

Yeah, they're freezin' up in Buffalo stuck in their cars
And I'm lyin' here 'neath the sun and the stars.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Emma and crew got to experience San Diego's cold summer. It was nice to go back to the beach for some time

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

^^^ ah let me know if you guys are gonna meet up again!

Hey guy here is my update. The bus drives great! Kiddos to everyone that helped me!

As for the adventure, around January 10th I plan to drive the bus to Seattle. I want to stop by Portland and meet with other bus folks. I'm gonna visit notch boy, Clara, Geoff, stu, and Ken as well. This trip means a lot to me and I'm stoked that gary and Telford did amazing work on my bus. I feel confident in the bus especially with the break boosters. The breaks were always so sketch since I got the bus and I thought that the best it can get till gary installed the break boosters. I'm preparing for my tripping and reading the book "how to keep your Volkswagen alive" donated by Robbie. I hope this trip goes smoothly And I will update regularly.

I got into the habit of check the oil, break fluid, and fan belt every time I get gas. I started documenting gas consumption and miles per gallon. My next couple of steps are to learn how to change my oil and learn how to adjusts. If anyone in the LA or SD area could check my work after I finish that would be greatly appreciated!

A couples of days ago I went over Robbie's house and saw Emma and Sven. I had to work in San Diego and on the way back to La I visited gary and Brian Smile it was great day seeing everyone.

I've been living in my bus since I got it back from gary. I park it near a friend's house in Santa Monica. I have there spare key to use the stove, bathroom, and shower. I usually keep my curtains up, put on the club and boot to prevent theft. At night I turn on my battery powered firefly lights to make it seem like I'm in the bus. I spoke to neighbors and they don't mind that I'm in my bus in the neighborhood since there are already a few van dwellers already. I am all over LA and SD for work and I crash in the bus. In the evening, I usually work on my business plan in there like a little office. It actually really peaceful to do work in there. I look forward to my next adventure and meeting more people along the way.

Thank you Kent for the fire surpressant, it was very sweet Smile

sacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Wow Cynthia your adventure take 2 is just beginning you remind me of my 5 year old grand daughter, you have no fear go and do it, enjoy your trips stay safe. The help you have received from everybody on this forum is awsome, tihis sort of help i think is a VW global thing we are all so lucky that we love VWs. Merry Xmas and happy new year to all V DUBBERS
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Roll that Bus slow and easy up those freeways and keep your eyes ears and nose tuned into your ride, as John Muir teaches us.

One of my twins is thinking of rolling the EV cross country next summer, which will be another batch of grey hairs for me... Laughing

Get some Amanda Palmer tunes for that ukulele, and don't forget a box of 5 or even 7 mil nitrile gloves for car stuff. 7 mil will last a couple months ..waste not want not. How's your tool stash coming? Got everything ? start with a list from threads here and start accumulating.

One tool you really want to have is the right bit to release your CV joint bolts - depending on what you have on now, that could be a 6 point hex, a triple square, a Torx, who knows. Roll under and snap a pic and post, or Gary/Telford can chime in, and get that early, Thats a tool its likely someone in BFE won't have and if you have a noisy or loose CV joint, the earlier you fix, the cheaper.

I think you had them serviced upthread, so its time to check the tightness of the bolts, anyhow! Laughing
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

One tool you really want to have is the right bit to release your CV joint bolts

It's the 6mm Allen

I think you had them serviced upthread, so its time to check the tightness of the bolts, anyhow!

The drive shafts were removed when we installed her transmission. Telford and I torqued them to spec. It will be a good idea to recheck the torque but I think she can wait until she's up north and get one of those guys to help her with it. When I removed them they were still very tight.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

6mm Allen
Dental pick to clean out the holes
Wobble 3/8
Extender bars so you can turn them off without swearing.

No aspersions meant to your work, Gary & Telford. I think VW recommends you torque and recheck, although Im a fan of the "mark and check without disturbing" methodology.
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

How often should one torque and recheck?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Sweet. Party at my house again around January 10th?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

NYCynthia wrote:
How often should one torque and recheck?

CV bolts and hug nuts and bolts should be checked after 100 miles. That is a very conservative/cautious number but certainly within 500 miles. Your BRAKE adjustment should be checked at about the same time, but will depend more on the type of driving, city or highway than the actual mileage. I've always found nuts and bolts on my '69 camper to be within specs when checked. That has made me a little less compelled to do it in a timely manner.

Malama Pono
Aloha
tp
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

The 'other approach' referred to above is:

Take a sharpie and mark both the head of each bolt and a dot next to it. Repeat 23 times.

Now you roll under at 100 miles and check your dots. Dont worry if you can't see all of them, just check as many as you can. Nothing should be moving, if even one moves, re-torque them all.

Just another great thing about being petite. OFWG have to use a crane to get the Bus up high enough to get under.

I suspect most loosen due to improper installation rather than inherent loosening. That being said, the chance the guys who took you in messed this up are about the same as Skylab falling on you.
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I'll be on my way on the 10th. I will def give you a ring when I'm in town Smile
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

NYCynthia wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I'll be on my way on the 10th. I will def give you a ring when I'm in town Smile

10 4 drive safe!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Loooking goood! So glad you now can enjoy your Westy and have a safe fun trip up to Seattle. I'll be back in town on the 20th and if you want you can park in front of my house and camp.....

Gary, did you use the Schorr washers on the CV bolts? I have never in 22 years had those come loose. Now with the split washers, those come loose.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Gary, did you use the Schorr washers on the CV bolts? I have never in 22 years had those come loose. Now with the split washers, those come loose.

Shhhh don't tell my bus that.

Abscate wrote:
Take a sharpie and mark both the head of each bolt and a dot next to it. Repeat 23 times.

Now you roll under at 100 miles and check your dots.

ˇAchtung!

When thrust surfaces undergo load and movement, assemblies can compress and drop torque without the fasteners moving. This is really common on rear axle nuts when they're not torqued correctly, (off the ground.) Grease on the CV flange can also compress and give a false sense of thrust security; if the grease shifts, now the torque can be less while the fasteners stay put. I haven't seen it happen on CV joints, but the "paint pen" trick we would use on rollercoasters was only for stationary multi-fastener applications for quick visual inspection, never to skip a re-torque.

Looks like it's going to be an Arctic 65* next week when we all go surfing!
Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

you check them somewhere between 100 miles and 500 miles if you can, and then about once every 2 to 4 oil changes. You don'r need a torque wrench once you do the 100 - 500 mile check. To put your mind at ease, 99% of the buses out there never had anyone recheck the bolts - however someone who loves their bus and who wants zero problems would check them. Same for wheel lug nuts.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Same for wheel lug nuts.

I concur.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

The driveshafts had previously been rebuilt by that shop in Seattle. I can't remember is the washers were there or not
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 52

Jump to: