Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Still have to reinstall the works and figure out if our game of parts darts will pay off. I'm totally stumped.
Did they check if the Clutch cable lever pin hole and Clevis pin are worn through.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the mean time, we found a curious #1 main bearing that is rotating about 5-10 degrees in the case.
It could be the oil hole in the bearing was installed over the dowel pin. Or it was a miss aligned bearing install on the dowel pin, which makes its own hole, if close enough to the original hole. It opens a groove for the bearing to walk in. At any rate, you and I both know the engine needs to come apart.

Red Loctite might be worth a try. Clean the mating surface between the bearing outer flange and the case with alcohol or brake cleaner. Blow it dry with compressed air. Rotate the bearing in its normal direction of travel until it stops. Push the bearing toward the flywheel. Drop one drop each at 10-2. Throw in an extra shim install the flywheel and tighten gland nut to clamp bearing in place. Let it cure 24 hours.

Now that's what I'm talking about!
Brian wrote:

Say no more

Good luck
Tcash
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Cause of clutch release issues: acute pressure plate failure.

End play is now set to .005" to .006" and the #1 main bearing would NOT exhibit any additional end play, but it did rotate. So this tells me the avalanche of wear is just beginning.

KentPS and NYCynthia are buttoning up the bumper and apron now!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Athough still drivable, it's definitely better to do the rebuild sooner then later. At this point it sounds like an align bore or maybe a new case and bearings. Cheap compaired to what "could" happen if continued to be driven for a long amount of time.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Think Not enough beer to fix that one.

Drive for now - repair later?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Exactly Jason..

richparker wrote:
Athough still drivable, it's definitely better to do the rebuild sooner then later. At this point it sounds like an align bore or maybe a new case and bearings. Cheap compaired to what "could" happen if continued to be driven for a long amount of time.

We've been planning this for a while. Now that Cynthia is back from NY for a bit, were examining the options. I have a few 10mm stud cases laying around, and at least one engine under construction in my apartment already...

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Is this engine being discussed the one that was rebuilt in Washington state by a VW or automotive business, had problems, was torn down and rebuilt a second time under warranty before she drove it to SD?

If it is, how many miles are on it now? What a bummer for her as I know she paid good money for the rebuild.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Popcorn

"Cause of clutch release issues: acute pressure plate failure. "
Had this same issue earlier this year and discussed it in another thread. Seems to becoming a common failure. BTW also solved problem by using old one Rolling Eyes
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

My two cents says that while you’ve bought some time with this engine, I think a new build should be started soon. Completely new longblock. Time to just bare the brunt and plan a new motor. No old cases. No cut cranks No welded heads. Good stuff assembled with ❤️. We could use this thread for reaching out to the community for donations of Parts. Lets build Cynthia a new engine.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

WTF, are we back to page 12? Or is this current situation unrelated?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

That's exactly what happened to the engine here, it was in spec and then almost overnight the end play went way south.

Something tells me a new case and totally new engine would be a great idea for Cynthia, and I think she would enjoy a new one.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I'll update…

telford dorr wrote:
No one's talked her into swapping out that 009 for at least a SVDA yet?

We have a freshly restored 205Q DVDA from wcfvw69 ready to go, but we have been hit with a series of larger issues in the last few months. See below… The carb is also a Mexican copy, so we'll need to check vacuum levels and idle bypass capabilities.

HelmutofBuffalo wrote:
"Cause of clutch release issues: acute pressure plate failure. "
Had this same issue earlier this year and discussed it in another thread. Seems to becoming a common failure. BTW also solved problem by using old one Rolling Eyes

Could you point us in the direction of this thread? I'd like to see any pictures or anecdotes.

--

A little story on this week's events:
Last month when Colin, Cynthia, and I were working on her bus, we noted that the crankshaft end play was rather large (around .009") for a new engine. "Perhaps don't ride the clutch so much, and fix this before next summer" was the plan of attack.

A few weeks ago, Cynthia sent me a text saying the clutch pedal lost three inches and the bus was nearly impossible to get into gear. I suspected the cable. She replaced the cable. I asked about the bowden tube welded mounts, she sent me photos of the perfect mounts. Since she could get the car into gear fine when the engine was cold, I gave her the green light to do a midnight run from LA where the bus was to SD where Brian and I happened to have quite a collection of tools and beer. So she fired Sunny up, got into 4th on the freeway and cruised down. When she got here last night, getting into and out of gear was a struggle, so we parked it and woke up early today to pull the engine.

Like I said above, the pilot bearing was pretty sloppy, so I replaced it, (it was probably fine.) Around here we checked the end play issue and shimmed it a few different ways to get it where we ended up settling.** The throw-out bearing was gritty, so we replaced it (though that wouldn't contribute to our symptoms.) The clutch disc was almost 7mm thin, so we replaced it (though that wouldn't contribute to our symptoms.

What we had today was a good old fashioned game of parts darts. It wasn't until I was reading Bentley, going down the list of where it honestly says "loosen the engine/transmission mounts and wiggle it" to cure clutch sticking that I said "fuck it" and decided to replace the pressure plate.

Brian and I looked at our sunburned wrists, where sensible people wear watches, and decided to crack open a cold one. It was only 3:10pm, and we had to be a concert around 7. We realized, that since Gary happened to have a perfect pressure plate, and KentPS who drove FOUR HOURS to be with us would drive half an hour more to Gary's place and grab the pressure plate, Brian and I could get the engine out and back in before the sun went down.

**Now, the #1 main bearing did not have ANY endplay when I stuck five shims in the stack and tightened the gland nut. BUT when I had five shims installed, and the gland nut torqued, this was the result:

Link

Anybody here having flashbacks to page 12?
Robbie
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I'm confused here..are you talking about axial or rotational flywheel play?

That can't be rotational slop in the crank or flywheel...if it is that isn't driveable, for long.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Clutch free play:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8561184&highlight=#8561184
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Could you point us in the direction of this thread? I'd like to see any pictures or anecdotes.

Here's another, although the photos have gone all haywire. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476955

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Update:

Turns out my new security system paid for itself this weekend. Who would have known that almost as soon as Mrs Aeromech and I left the house that these miscreants would appear and help themselves to some VW parts. If anyone recognizes these hooligans please inform the VanAlert sight

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

There goes the neighborhood Rolling Eyes

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Thanks for the hubcaps, Gary Laughing

I was hoping you would be home so I could finally meet the legend.
Next time. Exclamation I'll be working in Escomdido the last half of Oct and possibly living out of Chloe. Dancing

BTW... I'm sure the short one in that pic is the ringleader...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Troublemaker for sure
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

BTW... I'm sure the short one in that pic is the ringleader...

That rules you out. But I'm still not sure who the ringleader is Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I sort of got lost in the bearing problem... Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615690&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 52

Jump to: