Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding a German throw out bearing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

The Sachs as well as Eina and a few other German bearings are rebuildable items. They are not sealed bearings and because of the way the are pressed together you can carefully take apart clean,inspect,grease and return to service. This is a bucks down cheap ass way to save your money. Done as I describe there's no reason you can't get many more miles out of a quality German OE bearing. So basically you'll need an exacto knife and work carefully around the perimeter to remove a pressed in metal seal. Once the seals are out you clean and regrease carefully press seals back in and you are done. It's really no different than servicing a front wheel bearing. It works I've done it and you can too unless spending money gives you comfort. Be a mechanic fix something or be a parts changer. Better yet be a troll and show your ass.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Third pic down shows a Brazil bearing it has a smaller surface area to contact the pressure plate it's a piece of shit throw it away

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Good write up, been doing this for years for the cheaper owners Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

I thought there was already a writeup showing this in the FAQs but I'm not seeing it. This should go in there.

I don't know if I'd go as far as calling them cheap customers. I know that I would prefer to do this over using many of the replacement style release bearings I've seen over the years, and that includes the 'plastic sleeve' style Sachs bearings. These early style throwout bearings, if cared for like this, can last a very long time indeed.

Quote:
They are not sealed bearings and because of the way the are pressed together you can carefully take apart clean,inspect,grease and return to service.

While there aren't hermetically sealed, I'd still call them semi-sealed, since the dust caps do offer a good deal of protection, it's not like you can see the balls rolling around inside.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Alcohol and razor blades don't go together. In this case I was easing up the metal retainer when I accidentally cut myself yesterday with the xacto knife,ouch. This should drive home the point (pun intended) of practicing safety.

So I came back at it today and put three of them back together,this will be a lifetime supply for me. Using a high quality wheel bearing grease I lubricated the bearing then used various sizes including 36mm socket as a drift or seal installer to ease these metal retainers back into place.

Last photo shows em wrapped and ready to put away. The bearings you get today are made in such a way that you cannot service them like this. Planned obsolescence my friend. By now you should see it's preferable to overhaul a genuine German part than invest in an ill fitting one made to a lower standard.
1965mt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

i just did this on a NOS bearing that I wanted fresh grease. Instead of prying the retainer out by its flange, I tapped it out from the center with a small screw driver.
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

I did this today and it was actually fairly easy. Instead of an razor, I used a box cutter with a new blade. I just moved around the edge of the retainer until I found a spot where it would "catch" and then slowly worked it out.

Also - after cleaning everything in solvent and blow drying - I worked in the grease into the bearing by hand. (the same as what I do with wheel bearings). I also put a layer of grease around the mount and inner collar. After getting the bearing and inner piece in place, I also added a little more grease on top of the bearings.

Once assembled - I wiped it all down with a clean rag and put it into a ziplock bag that I labeled as rebuilt. (Squeezed as much air out as I could before closing it.)

Thanks for posting this. I really don't like the new bearings and how large the inner hole is when matched against the original clutch cover.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Any pics of where exactly the xacto is inserted?
Thx!
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Look at the pics again those thin metal caps, go real slow do not deform the caps and work slowly. Don’t stay in one area work a circular pattern an exacto blade works well. The new bearings you buy now are not rebuildable, somebody got wise. I’m still running a rebuilt bearing in my 74 bug and have a few spares. That’s likely a lifetime supply for me. Very Happy
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Perhaps this will help as to where the retainer rings are located. I hope the OP doesn't mind me using their photo.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Thanks!!
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

If the material on the face of the OG TO bearing is gone/damaged is the TO bearing still useable?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Picture would help, sometimes you could work them flat using 400 grit Emory or lapping compound and a flat surface such as a pane of glass. Use a figure 8 pattern while lapping and turn it 180 every so often. Those old German bearings look better than the non rebuildable crap they sell today.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Yes I recently overhauled (I think) the original bearing after 83K miles on my '68. Carefully inspected the race wear and it was almost like new.

I'm like others here. I try to pull apart all the old German stuff rather than replace with new. Nearly every time, the refurbished part is better than a replacement and the only ones that aren't are due to the poor workmanship of the repairer-person.

The Germans massively over-engineered most mechanical parts of the VW most notably bearings.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

The plastic facing on throwout bearings disappears over time. I'm in the process of changing the transaxle in my 62. When I pulled the throwout bearing I felt the action of the bearing which was perfect. The facing was bare metal but I'm fine with that. Yes I own a couple of new in box old-stock, old-style bearings but I saw no need to get one of them. I just transferred it over. It was working just fine up to now.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Picture would help, sometimes you could work them flat using 400 grit Emory or lapping compound and a flat surface such as a pane of glass. Use a figure 8 pattern while lapping and turn it 180 every so often. Those old German bearings look better than the non rebuildable crap they sell today.

This coating on my OG bearing partially wore off. I’m not sure why so I replaced it with a brand new Sachs TO and the damn thing is making a noise when I hold the clutch in. Release the clutch and it goes away so kind of assuming it’s the TO. Pulling the damn engine for the 5th time to figure out if this is the issue and was going to try and rebuild the OG bearing and use it if it’s the issue.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Here is a trick to get grease into a tight area, and yes it would work on these throw out bearings if you had one howling and didn’t have time take it apart.

I’ve loaded these syringes with different greases and can inject into a tight area as needed. This is one of those things to have in your kit and could get you back on the road in emergency situations. Look close you can see my finger to give scale to size of needle. It’s also possible to thin the grease just a little using motor oil, just a smidge. Very Happy
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Still requires pulling the fuggin engine. This car hates me.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Yes it’s a pain but if you’re working in a comfortable shop and have the tools it’s not so bad and just think of the valuable experience you gain. Soon you’ll be able to pull engine within minutes and offer encouragement to those just starting out. Goes without saying but make sure gland nut is lubed too.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Yes it’s a pain but if you’re working in a comfortable shop and have the tools it’s not so bad and just think of the valuable experience you gain. Soon you’ll be able to pull engine within minutes and offer encouragement to those just starting out. Goes without saying but make sure gland nut is lubed too.

Dual kadrons keep me from doing it within minutes. Seems like everytime I pull it out I have to readjust the linkage and resync. Think I mentioned in another thread I’m on removal number 5. First time one finger of the pressure plate came loose. Second time it did it again and I replaced the PP. third time I replaced the TO and now I’m going to have to remove it again. Losing patience. But I guess it’s only the fourth pull not the 5th. Yay.

Is it really normal for a brand new Sach TO to go south in under 100 miles? Maybe I need to make a dedicated thread to see if maybe I have it adjusted wrong.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a German throw out bearing Reply with quote

Me, it's the frigging VW made stale air muffler that I have on my big-bore 40HP is the killer. Yes, it's made by VW, sturdy as hell, but that bugger, like, wedges up against the rear apron in such a way that it makes R&R a PITA. That's why I checked my current throw-out bearing during this tranny swap.

I'm actually not sure if this expensive rebuilt tranny is going to work out yet, but if it does I don't want to have to drop the engine until I finish building my next engine for the car. I'm not bothered when the plastic facing on the throwout bearing wears off. I just want its roller action to feel right, and mine does.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: