Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

I was just looking at a T4 front suspension, and it got me thinking that with the reversed Quattro drive, you could theoretically convert a 2WD T3 over to AWD by using a T4 front subframe, which looks kinda like the one in a Syncro. It obviously would bolt up quite differently, but the track is close (62.6" vs 61.8"). Lots of mods involved, but...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

I love mechanics like you xoo00oox. Keep up the good work. Looking back If I would have known you were going to be doing 1.8t installs I would have been right at your door step. I loved your vr conversion. Keep it up buddy.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Thanks Casey'-
I love seeing the updates to your projects too. I have a '69 single-cab in need of a body job, I'd like to do the 1.8/5speed in that too. If your ever in need of an engine job, we could work out a deal!

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I'm a dummy, forgot you're working on a bay.

No worries, you can't be expected to know what vehicles everyone else has. Besides, this IS the Vanagon forum where we're posting. Laughing
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

This engine is now in use. See details on this thread........
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568346&start=300
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Gawd that's pertty. Cali-land can be a drag at times
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

T

14 hours of use update. We added a tune to the ECM bringing HP to around 200. While road testing, an 18psi boost blew the brand new plastic diverter apart. Replaced it with a stronger one and all is good. I'm Very happy that we are able to successfully use these engines!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:

Very Pretty indeed!Smile

fwiw, the 1.8T in a Vanagon IS Cali legal, at least the ones being done by Stephans and German Motor Werks..

I know of others who are also doing 1.8T installs in Cali that are passing the Referee and receiving Bar Code Stickers that Smog shops accept.

There is even an Executive Order for a 1.8T install, though that is not required to pass a Referee inspection.

I dont know if the Flint reversed 1.8t version could pass a Referee also. I dont think anyone has tried (yet)
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
I dont know if the Flint reversed 1.8t version could pass a Referee also. I dont think anyone has tried (yet)

That's what I'm wondering.
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
regis101 wrote:

Very Pretty indeed!Smile

fwiw, the 1.8T in a Vanagon IS Cali legal, at least the ones being done by Stephans and German Motor Werks..

I know of others who are also doing 1.8T installs in Cali that are passing the Referee and receiving Bar Code Stickers that Smog shops accept.

There is even an Executive Order for a 1.8T install, though that is not required to pass a Referee inspection.

Also curious about this...i'm wondering if this sequence would work:

1. You installed a 1.8T and got it passed with the CA Ref (per the executive order).

2. You then reverse the 1.8T and swap out/in a new transmission.

3. ??? On the next smog check, there are the visual and computer checks. Would the computer kick out "normal" codes, since the engine is reversed? I'm guessing it would pass the visual - I don't believe they check the transmission??
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
regis101 wrote:

Very Pretty indeed!Smile

Also curious about this...i'm wondering if this sequence would work:

1. You installed a 1.8T and got it passed with the CA Ref (per the executive order).

2. You then reverse the 1.8T and swap out/in a new transmission.

3. ??? On the next smog check, there are the visual and computer checks. Would the computer kick out "normal" codes, since the engine is reversed? I'm guessing it would pass the visual - I don't believe they check the transmission??

I don't really know much about CA smog, but I don't see any reason why it would not pass. On the SAH 1.8t van I'm working on now I made it run CCW without touching the ECM. All the smog equipment that came with the SAH kit is still in place and functioning. I don't imagine they require you to have a stock transmission do they? I really doubt there is a written requirement for the replacement engine to run in the same direction as it originally did, though I could be wrong.
When you scan this engine, Yes, everything looks normal. The ecm looks at rpm, not direction of rpm.

Andrew-
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

1. Take a reversed 1.8t to a California Referee, with whatever tranny you want,
2. Show, tell, answer questions, leave with a checklist
3. Come back after doing what they required, and Pass. Your Van is now set for life.
4. Get an Executive Order, Market your conversion as Cali legal. Now You are set for life.. LOL

Share what you learn.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
3. Come back after doing what they required, and Pass. Your Van is now set for life.
4. Get an Executive Order, Market your conversion as Cali legal. Now You are set for life.. LOL

Share what you learn.

I have no interest in doing this myself. I like my simple 1.8t jobs without 2nd air, EVAP, etc. Someone else can spend the time and money if they like.
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:

Share what you learn.

I have no interest in doing this myself. I like my simple 1.8t jobs without 2nd air, EVAP, etc. Someone else can spend the time and money if they like.

I think Jon just volunteered - thanks buddy!!! Wink
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Giving credit where credit is due...

I forgot where the inspiration for the electrical box in my ALH swap came from until this thread popped back up.

I think I used the same box, but I had to cut a 1.5" section out of the middle and ABS weld it back together. I opted for a voltage meter.

Thanks Andrew, that allowed me to really tidy up the engine compartment.

y u rune klassik?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Nice looking tdi job there Zeit, are you driving it yet? I like that by using that electrical box I can keep the ECM and relays nice and dry but still in the engine compartment, it's working out great. What have you got in your box? There's not much electrical with your Mtdi. [/code]
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Thanks. I have the breakers and relays for the intercooler fan and pump, as well as the glow plug relay and fuse. The box slides out for service and then tucks out of the way when unneeded.

I just need to weld up an intake manifold and connect all the gauges for it to be running again. The cool thing is that the way I've configured the install, if the reverse running TDI ever comes to pass everything would essentially stay in the same place.

y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Thanks. I have the breakers and relays for the intercooler fan and pump, as well as the glow plug relay and fuse. The box slides out for service and then tucks out of the way when unneeded.

I just need to weld up an intake manifold and connect all the gauges for it to be running again. The cool thing is that the way I've configured the install, if the reverse running TDI ever comes to pass everything would essentially stay in the same place.

Nice job coming along !!

What is the black thingy on top of your M-Tdi injection pump accelerator return spring?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Thanks! I believe it's a throttle position sensor used on the Land Rover 300tdi

y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Thanks! I believe it's a throttle position sensor used on the Land Rover 300tdi

Oh, ok, not needed then Smile

Thanks Casey!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: