Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New MV to Poptop Conversion Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

jakefromstatefarm wrote:

My turquoise donor (shown above) was $1050

Gosh -that's an incredible price for full van with a pop-top. That's a great investment for any hard top owner -- get the pop-top and all the hardware, the interior fittings and the bench/bed and table. I need to shop where you shop!
mastersryan!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

I also thought that was a VERY nice price.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

That kind of deal never happens up here in the PNW. I think $3600 is the lowest price I've seen for a Weekender over the last few years.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 - It WAS from PNW! Purchased in Oregon. It was a 1993 donor with a dead engine. Had to be pulled onto the transport. Bought it sight unseen off photos only.

That said, it was certainly tough to find. I was looking hard, but sort of stumbled upon that one along the way. There were a couple of others that were asking $3k that I offered at $1500 and were considering. I think if you are patient, you can find 'em.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

I know I've been slacking on the posts here Laughing

I was at SEMA all last week looking for cool ideas for you guys Wink

Jake's van has been moving forward though.

There is a massive pile of parts on order now.

Here you can see the van getting fully stripped down. Every thing will come off for paint.

I don't have all of the top cut open yet. Had to wait to get some of the frame work stripped off of the donor van. Just got it all off yesterday.

You can also see the pile of parts stacking up on the right from the donor van. Which should give a little idea of how many things are needed to do the conversion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also had to dig deep in my stock of parts to find other parts for this van like a new gas door.

We will also be replacing the hatch from yet another donor van since both of Jake's hatches were banged up. Rolling Eyes

I'll post some more info and pictures later.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

We have stripped all the black vinyl off the van. To do it right we also pulled the windows(obviously some clean up still to do in this picture). This stuff just hasn't aged well on these vans.

We have a fun replacement waiting for it Wink

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

There are a few spots like this front bumper support that have surface rust creeping in. We will sand these off a cover them with POR15.

Think we may also take Jake's hitch off his silver van and replace it with the one on his donor van.

wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Since you have experience working with the tent manufacturer now, have you thought about having a longer tent made so that you could pop the top higher like a Vanagon top? I know Colorado Campervans makes a top that extends further up but I like the stock look more.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

Oh dear. Sticker bombing? Chrome? Wink

Honestly I like the vans better with no vinyl. To me, seeing the B & C pillars and the contrast against the windows looks more "bus" like. I don't know, it just feels more authentic than the psuedo full-glass look attempted by VW.

Anyhow don't let me dissuade you - I'm always looking forward to see what you do! You've got the magic touch.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
Since you have experience working with the tent manufacturer now, have you thought about having a longer tent made so that you could pop the top higher like a Vanagon top? I know Colorado Campervans makes a top that extends further up but I like the stock look more.

Without changing the hinges you wouldn't really gain any more height. The tent really isn't the limiting factor.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:

Oh dear. Sticker bombing? Chrome? Wink

Honestly I like the vans better with no vinyl. To me, seeing the B & C pillars and the contrast against the windows looks more "bus" like. I don't know, it just feels more authentic than the psuedo full-glass look attempted by VW.

Anyhow don't let me dissuade you - I'm always looking forward to see what you do! You've got the magic touch.

Yep.

The vans that I wanted to give a more *vintage* look too I left off the black vinyl between the windows.

The vans that we want to have a sleeker, more modern look, keep the vinyl.
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Wheels are refurbished! They removed all curb rash and then painted them in Reflex Silver to match paint. Smile

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Those wheels look great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
Those wheels look great!

Thank you Very Happy Love a freshly restored set of wheels. Especially when perfectly matched to the van.

On a related note.

Here is the table for this van. We choose beetle kill with more blue in it to go with the van. This is totally raw and unsealed right now. Will look even better sealed.

jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
IdeaNerd wrote:
Those wheels look great!

Thank you Very Happy Love a freshly restored set of wheels. Especially when perfectly matched to the van.

On a related note.

Here is the table for this van. We choose beetle kill with more blue in it to go with the van. This is totally raw and unsealed right now. Will look even better sealed.

Looks great!
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Thanks.

At the moment there just isn't a lot of excitement to show. Van is stripped to its bones and body prep being done.

Once the paint is done the assembly can start and that's where the cool stuff actually happens.

There is a growing pile of parts laying here.

This all arrived in the last couple of days too.

d-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Hey Cole, vans looking good Smile

Saw you mention POR15 above, how do you get on with it? I'm looking for something to protect my t4 after I've dealt with the rust. Be interesting to see a post on how you deal with it when you're restoring a van.
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Color for the two tone has been chosen. The upper color (above the crease line) will remain the Reflex Silver. The color beneath the crease line will be Acapulco Blue Metallic, the same color they are using on the new T6 two-tones in Europe.

Originally, I wasn't going to two tone it, but since the area beneath the crease line had numerous dents that needed attention and paint, Cole suggested I look at it as an opportunity to make it unique.

I've been spotting different blues for a long time and finally landed on this one. It was between Acapulco Blue Metallic & Honda's Atomic Blue Metallic.

Can't wait to see it with paint on!

jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Here is the T6 Two Tone I referenced.

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Blue / silver combo looks nice!

I recognize these wheels, but can't place them. What are they from? (I like them a lot!)

jakefromstatefarm wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: