Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New MV to Poptop Conversion Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Ideanerd....

They are from Audi.... Either A4 or A6, I can't remember. Cole used them on another van called Snapdragon (thread is on Samba somewhere with pics). He liked how they retained the same basic look as the stock ones, but with a slightly more sporty and aggressive look/feel.

So I searched Craiglist in Colorado (where Cole & my vans are) and found a set, which he went to pickup. He has a guy who got the curb rash out and painted in the same sliver as the top of the van - Reflex Silver.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Ah! Snap Dragon - that's where I've seen them recently!

Thanks for answering! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

d-9 wrote:
Hey Cole, vans looking good Smile

Saw you mention POR15 above, how do you get on with it? I'm looking for something to protect my t4 after I've dealt with the rust. Be interesting to see a post on how you deal with it when you're restoring a van.

Sorry, I missed this before.

I've been using the POR-15(Paint Over Rust) for about 20years now. I've built custom truck/Jeep axles and frames and coated them with POR-15. It's a great, rock hard, encapsulating coating.

It's not UV resistant so for things you expect to be in ththe sun you need to paint over it.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Sorry for my lack of replies guys.

I've just had my hands full. Lots going on here.

Body work is moving along. It's a slow process sometimes. Lots of little issues on this van.

We decided to install the CaveVan lift kit and the Bilstein extra HD shocks

The new tires are mounted up.

Transmission cooler installed.

Rusty trailer hitch removed. We will install the nicer one from the donor van.

Carpet removed from the front wood sub floor.

Passenger seat base removed for shortening, for a swivel. Have to figure out how to make it work with a jump seat too Shocked

Table is done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

When you get that passenger seat lowered to work with a swivel and a jump seat, let me know. I would be super interested to have both options as well. Swivel for camping and the extra seat for transporting people.

Xtremjeepn wrote:
Passenger seat base removed for shortening, for a swivel. Have to figure out how to make it work with a jump seat too Shocked

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
When you get that passenger seat lowered to work with a swivel and a jump seat, let me know. I would be super interested to have both options as well. Swivel for camping and the extra seat for transporting people.

Xtremjeepn wrote:

I'm sure I can make it work. Just going to require a bit of welding.

I've got a couple of extra 1993 seat bases here if you want me to build one for your Syncro.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

The solution is finally here!!! This unit just came out and is perfect for the Eurovan!!

I just installed this in Jake's van. (Not fully installed in the picture, just the test fit)

It's does NOT require cutting the dash bar!!!!

greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
The solution is finally here!!! This unit just came out and is perfect for the Eurovan!!

I just installed this in Jake's van. (Not fully installed in the picture, just the test fit)

It's does NOT require cutting the dash bar!!!!

Very cool! Now I am kind of bummed that I just put a $115 Alpine HU in my new to me van.

Can you please clarify that it's the Sony XAV-AX100? I zoomed in on your pic, but it's a bit pixelated.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax100

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV100/Sony-XAV-AX100.html

I may end up upgrading to this. Curious to see how it goes for you and Jake. Please share install tips when you can. Thanks!
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Yes, that is the correct Sony model number. After searching for the right solution for hours a few months ago, I gave up. I decided to look again a couple weeks ago and learned the Sony had been released in the interim.

Cole did an awesome job with install. He had a trim kit for the double din portion and then cut the lower trim piece to fit. I did find the part number for the actual lower trim piece on a vortex forum and found it for sale online, if desired. The photo above is not final, and it will look a little tighter and cleaner in the end.

This also makes a backup camera install super easy, which is great.

Van is coming along nicely and will likely get its two tone paint job next week. 😆
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Awesome unit (and no crash-bar cutting!) and it looks very-very good too. Tactile inputs - a must! Very Happy

Please report back with a long term update -- I'm sure there are others who are very keen to know more.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

If that checks out, I'm going to try and return the Pioneer DD unit I bought but never installed, and get this one. Do you have more info about the trim kit?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

I will definitely provide long term update on the stereo. According to a Vortex forum, the lower trim piece part number is 7D1-820-075--01C and is available here: https://shopdap.com/store/7d1-820-075-01c.html. The double din trim piece was an extra Cole had lying around. I'm sure he can help source it if needed.

Other decisions on the project:
- Install cubby (in place of knee bolster) on passenger side front seat
- After reviewing two paint samples (photos in different light below), I will match the blue paint color being used on the new European T6's silver/blue two-tone (photo below). Funny, I can't recall which color is which in the photo, but the paint code is LR5T. The other color is a Honda color.
- Blue coin style vinyl flooring. Doesn't show right in photos, but is a silvery blue (less purple than photo shows). I was originally going to do gray, but this hides the dirt much better. Cole was awesome in sending me some samples to look at and while I doubted this one when he texted a pic, I really like it in front of me. It is Lonseal, London II, Color 187, Cerulean Blue.
- I also found a deal on a fiberglass Packasport Cargo box and am going to paint it a matching blue (it is white now). Cole is encouraging two tone to match, but i am leaning solid blue. I'll be lugging my family of 5 around on a long camping trip this summer and will use the box to store the light gear (sleeping bags, etc). Still determining the impact this has on where to place the Goal Zero solar panel.
- Aside from the beetle kill pine wood table, I will also have beetle kill pine on the interior roof instead of the stock grey boards. I think this will add tons of personality and warmth to the interior. I'll try to post a photo of another van Cole has done later to demonstrate.
- Hush Mat sound insulation already added throughout interior. Smile
- Front seat heaters
- Going back and forth on Propex. My heart says yes, but my wallet says no!

Comments, feedback, suggestions all welcome. I can't wait to post pics of the EV in the outdoors in the EVs in use thread!

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Any info on the trim piece around the head unit itself? For folks with the manual climate controls, I think the trim from a Mk4 Golf/Jetta will work for the lower trim piece.

y u rune klassik?
sdunn35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Re: the propex expenditure...all I can say is that even though our EVC is used as a 3-season camper, we have found plenty of occasion to fire up the suburban furnace. In my mind it is one of the critical features of the EVC for camping comfort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Cole is repairing the unsightly dents at the jack point on the driver side. He ordered a new piece of sheet metal to cover it. Once this gets fixed, it is time to get the car painted. Smile

Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

sdunn35 wrote:
Re: the propex expenditure...all I can say is that even though our EVC is used as a 3-season camper, we have found plenty of occasion to fire up the suburban furnace. In my mind it is one of the critical features of the EVC for camping comfort.

Where did you install it?
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdunn35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
sdunn35 wrote:

Where did you install it?

It is standard in all years of EV Camper. The furnace is installed at the rear of the drivers side, immediately aft of the wheel well. Actually sits above the aux battery charger/shore power converter. It is all hidden behind custom winnebago plastic shrouds. All of the 12v and 110v power for the camper terminates right next to it. The propane is brought in from the underbody tank on the same side of the van. The fresh air supply is via chrome vents on the outside sheet metal. There is some kooky interior ducting to bring the heat forward to mid-cabin. Not the cleanest install ever, but it works well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

We have totally slacked on updating this thread.

Jake's van ran away with a painter for a short but well worth it affair. It's finally back in my shop and all other projects out of the way so we can move forward full bore on this van.

jonnyinutah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

Looking Good!!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New MV to Poptop Conversion Project Reply with quote

That two-tone looks does a nice job of breaking up a rear hatch that looks too slab-like in a monotone.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: