Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

Hi H2OSB
Yeah I have seen Gerrelt's install of the 944 rear ARB, and lots of other good stuff on his site Smile
I'm not so keen on the u-bolt mount, cantilevered off the torsion tube TBH.
Plus right now I have the luxury of an upside-down pan for easy access, a welder and plenty of time to develop another approach.
My intention is to make the install factory looking, as much as possible.
Pros and cons to both methods. Of course his/yours doesn't require welding on the pan or ARB, or extending the ARB ends, reducing stiffness.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Quote:
Next big challenge is plumbing & wiring the ABS module - yikes!

WHAT?
Wow, I haven't seen that mod on any ACVW.
Is the plan to have ABS all the way around? Or just the rears?

Well, "how hard can it be?" Laughing
The Porsche corners have ABS sensors and inductor rings already packaged, this seems the lions share of the install to me.
The ABS module will be fitted to the floorpan just in front of the bulkhead / firewall, I've modified the frame head lower plate to provide a mounting:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One major remaining question is the brake master cylinder, from my research:
Some say the VW m/c works fine, but might have longer pedal travel
Of course the 944 m/c is designed for the calipers, but also vacuum servo, so maybe pedal force will be too high without?

Happy to hear of anyone's experience with this!
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Quote:
Next big challenge is plumbing & wiring the ABS module - yikes!

WHAT?
Wow, I haven't seen that mod on any ACVW.
Is the plan to have ABS all the way around? Or just the rears?

Well, "how hard can it be?" Laughing
The Porsche corners have ABS sensors and inductor rings already packaged, this seems the lions share of the install to me.
The ABS module will be fitted to the floorpan just in front of the bulkhead / firewall, I've modified the frame head lower plate to provide a mounting:

One major remaining question is the brake master cylinder, from my research:
Some say the VW m/c works fine, but might have longer pedal travel
Of course the 944 m/c is designed for the calipers, but also vacuum servo, so maybe pedal force will be too high without?

Happy to hear of anyone's experience with this!

You will have to use the 944 M/C ! The Porsche caliper pistons are a lot larger and so the volume it takes. Rock hard pedal with 4 rotors and a shorter pedal travel is the result. No booster needed. Just strong legs Shocked . Back in the 90's a company was making a " mechanical booster ". It was a unit which was bolted to the pedal assembly unit. Do a search under " Mechanischer Bremskraftverstaerker " und you might still find one. I never used one, the Porsche brakes with factory pads are so good that slowing the Beetle down from close to 200km/h is not a big deal. The only concern you will have that nobody rear-ends you when you hit the brakes. Laughing Shocked

ABS has been done already years ago, but not sure what control unit is being used. I am pretty sure that the ABS valving / coding has to be modified since the Beetle is lighter car. The early ABS systems were brutal compared what is being used today. The system has to be also a stand-alone system I would think.

BTW: do you keep the factory engine it shows in one of the pictures?
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

Enjoying the reading here and on the links. This is all beyond my current mechanical abilities, but I know Memminger do a 1303 abs install, I wonder what they use?

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

@Tvättbjörn: I am using the Porsche single-piston sliding calipers, not the 4-pots, does this change your advice / experience?
The 944 calipers appears to have different bore front/rear to set bias. I'm not sure the brake balance should be the same with rear engine? Plus a lighter car of course.
I will look up the mechanical booster, sounds intriguing...
Not sure a hard stop from 200km/h is something I will have to plan for in this car! Laughing

@offtherailz1: A while ago I found some info on the Memminger install. I think they use a T4 or T5 ABS module. With factory Beetle brake parts, as far as I can tell?
They mount the module inside the trunk, but I prefer to keep all the high pressure lines on the floorpan, a little closer to factory.
I have some ideas about engine, but that is a LONG way off yet..
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
@Tvättbjörn: I am using the Porsche single-piston sliding calipers, not the 4-pots, does this change your advice / experience?
The 944 calipers appears to have different bore front/rear to set bias. I'm not sure the brake balance should be the same with rear engine? Plus a lighter car of course.
I will look up the mechanical booster, sounds intriguing...
Not sure a hard stop from 200km/h is something I will have to plan for in this car! Laughing

@offtherailz1: A while ago I found some info on the Memminger install. I think they use a T4 or T5 ABS module. With factory Beetle brake parts, as far as I can tell?

They mount the module inside the trunk, but I prefer to keep all the high pressure lines on the floorpan, a little closer to factory.
I have some ideas about engine, but that is a LONG way off yet..

Yes same for the regular steel caliper. Back in the early 90's we did use the factory Porsche master cylinder also. There was something special about the 944 MasterCylinder . Maybe it has two different sized pistons ?. The front caliper has a huge piston like 50 + mm and the rear is something around mid 30mm like 36 or so IIRC. It's been almost thirty years since I installed them in my Beetle. You are running very late Laughing

Never installed a proportioning valve. Never had issues with locking-up wheels on dry roads. Different story on wet roads , but that is normal. Same problem with too much power and going around corners within a city! Some guys also installed the battery in the front trunk to put more weight on the front axle. I always used best possible tires with a small block pattern to get rid of water when it was raining.

Highspeed is fun if the car is built right. Still remembering coming back from a Swiss Bug show and cruising at 170 with the BMW and MB in front of us and behind us on the Autobahn. Now-a-days there is just too much traffic. Good old times Wink Laughing Very Happy You can still chase them up the hill. Slow them down before the hill and than hit the pedal and just take off. Wink
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

I have used Bug MC with both setups, single piston, or 4-pot. Nice pedal feel, never had an issue with hitting the bottom. I did not like the Porsche MC at all. As Tvattbjorn mentioned, it has very short throw, very hard feel and my legs cramped after a few brakes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

Thanks Tzepesh
Now I have one reccommendation each way!
Would appreciate hearing anyone else's experience Smile
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

I'm running Boxster rear calipers on the front and 944 rear sliding calipers on the rear, all with a 1303 "disc brake" MC. I had planned to use the stock 1303 MC but a couple guys I know who know Porsche brakes on Beetle conversions suggested the slightly larger MC since I may be standing on the pedal at autocross events. I've heard and experienced, MANY times, the 1303 factory MC does a fine job with disc brakes, the pedal just feels a bit softer compared to drum pedal feel.

My other Super (1973. Just sold it about 3 months ago so this is recent data) had four wheel discs with a stock MC (typical disc brake conversion kits) and would stop on a dime. If I had autocrossed that car before all my research and $$ expenditures for the car I still have (1974), I would have just used Topline conversion kits (maybe with the new EMPI calipers...just because I like them) and a factory drum brake MC. I'm not certain why people often say the factory MC cannot control disc brakes. It worked flawlessly for me. In fact, my first Super I had back in the mid 90s had full 944 brakes front and rear and worked fine with a stock MC. I never even knew, back then, swapping the MC was a thing. It worked fine. Later I heard about people using a VW MK1 Golf MC, which was/is the 20.6mm MC everyone sells as the Beetle "disc brake MC". The 20.6mm is, incidentally the one I'm using on my current car, however, it's not a driver yet, so I can't compare to stock. I will say it's got some big shoes to fill, IMO, to equal the stock 1303 MC.

I'll say this, Dodgy..if you just keep the stock MC, I don't believe you're going to feel like you made a mistake.

H2OSB
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

That's great feedback H20SB, thank you 👍

From what I have read the trade-off is (obviously):
• Larger bore MC = hard pedal, short travel - less 'feel'?
• Smaller bore MC = soft pedal, longer travel - more 'feel'?

Quite a few people recommemd staying with 19mm bore MC (standard VW) so that is a good place to start, the easy option!
Unlike standard Beetles, the Supers have a 'biased' hole pattern, so finding a compatible 'upgrade' MC is a little more challenging, especially for RHD:

As long as the standard MC can shift enough fluid to move the massive 944 front caliper pistons (56mm diameter) without the travel becoming excessive, that is good enough for me!
Having ABS in the mix adds a little complication, but essentially in un-activated state it shouldn't affect the basic fluid transfer characteristics.

I'm not finished yet on rebuilding the floorpan before starting to install brake parts, but it is getting closer...
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
I'm running Boxster rear calipers on the front and 944 rear sliding calipers on the rear, all with a 1303 "disc brake" MC. I had planned to use the stock 1303 MC but a couple guys I know who know Porsche brakes on Beetle conversions suggested the slightly larger MC since I may be standing on the pedal at autocross events. I've heard and experienced, MANY times, the 1303 factory MC does a fine job with disc brakes, the pedal just feels a bit softer compared to drum pedal feel.

My other Super (1973. Just sold it about 3 months ago so this is recent data) had four wheel discs with a stock MC (typical disc brake conversion kits) and would stop on a dime. If I had autocrossed that car before all my research and $$ expenditures for the car I still have (1974), I would have just used Topline conversion kits (maybe with the new EMPI calipers...just because I like them) and a factory drum brake MC. I'm not certain why people often say the factory MC cannot control disc brakes. It worked flawlessly for me. In fact, my first Super I had back in the mid 90s had full 944 brakes front and rear and worked fine with a stock MC. I never even knew, back then, swapping the MC was a thing. It worked fine. Later I heard about people using a VW MK1 Golf MC, which was/is the 20.6mm MC everyone sells as the Beetle "disc brake MC". The 20.6mm is, incidentally the one I'm using on my current car, however, it's not a driver yet, so I can't compare to stock. I will say it's got some big shoes to fill, IMO, to equal the stock 1303 MC.

I'll say this, Dodgy..if you just keep the stock MC, I don't believe you're going to feel like you made a mistake.

H2OSB

Many things are possible and maybe work up to a point, but I believe more in the engineers designing brake systems all day long with calculation / testing to make stuff work and safe for everybody on the roads. Not to mention that this kind of modification has usually, in many parts of the planet, be certified by MOT / TUV ..... to make it street legal.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

Yes, that is true, also.
For the record, I am a qualified mechanical engineer (automotive industry) in my day job, so all the mods to my car are considered from a 'proper' engineering standpoint.

I know there is a risk mixing parts from different systems. The questions are:
1) do the mixed components work together successfully?
2) does the new mix of components provide an improvement to the original system?

Some of these questions are difficult to answer 'on paper'.
The 944 MC was developed for a heavier car with front engine, so the system requirements are different to ACVW. I think that is a fair argument against using the dual-diameter 944 MC.

I'm certainly not discounting your experience Tvättbjörn!
If the system is not performing properly, it can always be updated later. None of these build projects are ever really 'finished' are they?! Very Happy
Here in the UK older cars are exempted from mandatory MoT tests (similar to TUV) but when complete I wiĺl get my car independently checked, always wise to get a second pair of eyes to make sure nothing is missed. Brake function & balance etc is part of that test.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

Actually, the MC was not designer with focus on "heavy front". The calipers are designed for that purpose. The MC has to provide enough brake fluid volume for braking. This is why the Porsche MC has 21 (?) mm MC diameter for the front brakes: due to the large pistons, they need more fuel. It was never to distribute force (there is a topic on germanlook.net where I explained the physics behind). Also, the Porsche MC was designed for an assisted system, not direct pedal application, so the force to push it was never an issue for them. If the pedal bottoms, it means that not sufficient braking force can be obtained. I did not have any means for checking the left over travel at full brake.
The idea of smaller diameter MC is that you do not have to force the pedal down to brake (which frankly I find risky, maybe the wife want to go shopping with the bug sometime). Also, it is more about the "feel": when you have to push with less force, you can modulate the brake better and obtain what you want. My feeling with Porsche MC was that it is an ON/OFF system, and is more prone to locking due to this fact.
Moreover, I swapped from the NA brakes to turbo brakes because they act more progressively (due to different diameter cylinders). The 54mm front pistons seemed HUGE. Based on Wally's feedback, his best compromise was 42mm Ghia front calipers with 36mm Porsche rear calipers. It also gives a braking ratio close to stock, so no side is more prone to locking.
That being said, with such brake conversions, you have to learn how to brake...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

There you go:
https://germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4595&page=11
https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?s...amp;page=2
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Actually, the MC was not designer with focus on "heavy front". The calipers are designed for that purpose. The MC has to provide enough brake fluid volume for braking. This is why the Porsche MC has 21 (?) mm MC diameter for the front brakes: due to the large pistons, they need more fuel. It was never to distribute force (there is a topic on germanlook.net where I explained the physics behind). Also, the Porsche MC was designed for an assisted system, not direct pedal application, so the force to push it was never an issue for them. If the pedal bottoms, it means that not sufficient braking force can be obtained. I did not have any means for checking the left over travel at full brake.
The idea of smaller diameter MC is that you do not have to force the pedal down to brake (which frankly I find risky, maybe the wife want to go shopping with the bug sometime). Also, it is more about the "feel": when you have to push with less force, you can modulate the brake better and obtain what you want. My feeling with Porsche MC was that it is an ON/OFF system, and is more prone to locking due to this fact.
Moreover, I swapped from the NA brakes to turbo brakes because they act more progressively (due to different diameter cylinders). The 54mm front pistons seemed HUGE. Based on Wally's feedback, his best compromise was 42mm Ghia front calipers with 36mm Porsche rear calipers. It also gives a braking ratio close to stock, so no side is more prone to locking.
That being said, with such brake conversions, you have to learn how to brake...

I used Wally's as well as Steve Carter's feed back for the determination of which calipers to use for the front brakes on my car. The Boxster rear calipers I am using(base model) have a combined piston area of approximately the same as a caliper with a pair of 43mm pistons.

With two very experienced guys saying the 42f/36r combination gives a very balanced feel on a full bodied Super Beetle, I feel quite safe using a combination of essentially 43f/36r on my car.

H2OSB
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

What is the Boxster rear piston combination and how many pistons? Just to compare to the 944Turbo calipers.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

Hmmm... some things to think about there, thanks!
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

I'll ask my buddy Lanner. It wasn't an original idea. He actually built a kit for Wally with the exact same set up but for his Notchback. Lanner tried, persistently, to talk me into using the Boxster rears for my front brake set up but I was bound and determined to use 914 front calipers....however...I HAD 944 spindles and discovered 914 calipers bolt directly onto the spindles. Unfortunately, 944 rotors are too large in diameter to clear the mounted calipers so after much time and $$, I finally accepted the fact it wasn't going to work(if anyone is truely considering the same path, PM me and I'll detail all of the pitfalls), so I had Lanner make me a set up that allows me to use early 924 spindles with Boxster rear calipers and rotors over custom hubs and caliper adapters.

The only thing I had to do was flip the cross over tubes and bleed valve positions so the pistons were trailing correctly (they are two different sizes). The Boxster rear calipers are truely lightweight. They make the 944 rears feel like boat anchors (in fact Lanner teases me about that unmercifully. He simply refers to them AS my boat anchors).

I'm not going to lie, the n/a 944 set up does work on a 1303. Those monster front 54mm piston calipers just do the job. They're huge and heavy and for the life of me, I can't figure out why they AREN'T making too much front brake bias, but they certainly don't seem to. In the 90s, when I first got into Supers and the Kafer Cup was a big thing in Germany, that's the brake set up all of the Kafer Cup guys were putting on their cars. That said, I have no idea if they were swapping in 944 MCs. I didn't, and the brakes worked well.

H2OSB
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

So I ran some numbers, all based on VW M/C Ø19mm / Ø19mm and 944NA calipers Ø58mm front / Ø38mm rear

1) I made my own calculation sheet, based on 'first principles', this gives brake balance 68% to front
2) I used the online calculator at https://brakepower.com/, this gives brake bias 68% to front.

Good that both methods give the same result!
68% front bias doesn't seem to excessive to me...

As it is said, "every day is a school day"
I understand why the dual/diameter Porsche M/C doesn't result in a change to the bias, as tzepesh points out (separate thread).
There are a number of other factors at play that influence the balance, such as the fact that the effective radius of the rear calipers is larger than the effective radius of the front calipers - the outer diameters of the discs are the same, but the rears have a larger hub to house the handbrake mechanism, which pushes the centres of the pads outwards.

My calc shows pedal travel should be around 100mm, which is more than standard VW brakes but should be OK, and somewhere between 17-20kgf should be enough to get max braking effort, which is not too excessive (no servo)

That seems enough to me to continue to plan with Standard VW M/C for now, and see how it feels when back on the road.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
What is the Boxster rear piston combination and how many pistons? Just to compare to the 944Turbo calipers.

They are lightweight, 4 piston calipers. I don't recall the piston sizes but do recall they're the equivalent area of a slightly 43+ mm (by that I mean they're slightly over 43mm, but only barely) piston caliper.

My goal is to have a balanced set up that requires no f/r bias valve.

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: