Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Most silent electric fuel pump?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mending
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

What is the most silent electric fuel pump available and where to get it?

is Mitsuba the best and most quiet?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

if you mount them with lord mount rubber mounts they all get pretty quiet.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

I've used Bosch and I have used the Ford one for the 5.0l mustang and both make about the same amount of noise. Trick is, as mentioned above, to isolate with rubber mounts.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

You really have to try hard to hear a rotary pump:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone sells them, at different prices, shop around.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mending
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

@busdaddy is will the Rotary pump suply a 125 HP 2.0 engine?

Who sells the Mitsuba pump? Haven't found anyone online.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Mending wrote:

Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

The rotary pump....as busdaddy mentioned is a turbine pump. Virtually all modern fuel injected vehicles use a turbine pump. Most handle more than anything you can build. I posted in a thread about 3 weeks ago.....numerous part #s and a link to a Bosch list with several thousand pump part,#s. ...hundreds of which will do you fine.

Why you are particular to Mitsuba over Bosch.....I have no idea. In the OEM world its no better or worse and probably less available than Bosch. Ray
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Mending wrote:
@busdaddy is will the Rotary pump suply a 125 HP 2.0 engine?.

Probably, you've been holding out on information, any other suprises?

I've used them on much bigger engines that that with no issues, just make sure it's mounted lower than the tank.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Mending wrote:

I would say it is Time for some more info. Carb or FI?

Holley used to make the quietest pump. I did not like it, because I could not hear the pump prime.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/

Good Luck
Tcash
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Mending wrote:
@busdaddy is will the Rotary pump suply a 125 HP 2.0 engine?.

Probably, you've been holding out on information, any other suprises?

I've used them on much bigger engines that that with no issues, just make sure it's mounted lower than the tank.

The stock fuel injection pump and the ford replacement pump feeds 2.2L and 2.5L Subaru motors that have been swapped into bay windows just fine and they run from 140hp-180+hp stock so you will be fine.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Mending
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Sorry, everyone!

VW Bay Bus 1975, rebuild 125 HP, 2.0 engine, dual 44 weber carbs.

Just wanted a few suggestions on the most silent electric fuel pump available and where to buy it. Thanks!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Mending wrote:
Sorry, everyone!

VW Bay Bus 1975, rebuild 125 HP, 2.0 engine, dual 44 weber carbs.

Just wanted a few suggestions on the most silent electric fuel pump available and where to buy it. Thanks!

Oh!....you are l9oking for totally different pumps than anyone here has been speaking of. In fact....none of them will work (without a serious fuel pressure regulator) because we were all thinking EFI.

In that train of thought...Mitsuba is well thought of....from what I have read.....in the motorcycle and carb world. Ray
Mending
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

But it is electric fuel injected... but the fuel pump I've got makes so much noise when building pressure that people turn in the streets Sad
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Mending wrote:
But it is electric fuel injected... but the fuel pump I've got makes so much noise when building pressure that people turn in the streets Sad

It's not fuel injected if you have 44 Dual Weber carbs unless you actually have dual weber throttle bodies ( that look like carbs but, aren't carbs ).

Fuel Injection is different than carbureted, it's a different fuel system.

You can have a low pressure electric fuel pump ( usually around 4psi or more ) feeding a carburetor/carburetors or a high pressure fuel pump ( usually around 40psi or more ) feeding a fuel injector/fuel injectors that are either mounted in a fuel rail ( like stock bus ) or in aftermarket throttle bodies.

Also, if you have a standard rebuild on that 2.0L and nothing more, it isn't 125hp, you have to have some mods and tweaks to make that power from that motor.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Mending wrote:

It's not fuel injected if you have 44 Dual Weber carbs unless you actually have dual weber throttle bodies

Also, if you have a standard rebuild on that 2.0L and nothing more, it isn't 125hp, you have to have some mods and tweaks to make that power from that motor.

I've seen those Weber FI 44s, they are bad a$$! If that's what he's running maybe he does have a 125 HP 2L, but you know how it goes...picture of it on the dyno or it didn't happen.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Now we are getting somewhere Very Happy

The best setup for carbs if you want silent operation would be:

This pump: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rotary-Electric-Fuel-Pump-3-25-psi-7mm-Fittings-p/rotary.htm
And this regulator: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Adjustable-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-1-4psi-30-804-p/30-804.htm
With this controller: http://revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

Don't skimp on the regulator, chinese knockoffs are hit and miss and the cheapo ones with the chrome dial are useless at low pressure.

Слава Україні!
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

Busdaddy, im looking at getting this setup for the 73. (Ideally im switching from the nasty single progressive to a 72 dual carb setup..i like the oil bath vs the paper)

What im kind of fuzzy on is: (per the pdf)

red: to switched 12V
purple: battery + or switched 12v
green: to tach lead

So could I (should I?) hook the green to the coil prong that also goes to the condensor?

red: could i (should I?) hook this to the coil?
purple: starter? or a pigtail off of the battery?

like using the leads that now go to the defunct diagnostic port?

or another suggestion?

right now its just got a wire going to the "not going to the condensor lead" on the coil and a ground wire. Or at least thats what it looks like.

i have a hard time following the 73 + wiring diagrams

EXPLANATION (for anyone who isnt use to answering my questions and might want to chime in), Caleb, who owns the 69 bus, is away at college, and he often helps me puzzle out this stuff. I have a TBI from getting blown up in Somalia, so comments like "use the search" or "look at the wiring diagram" really arent that helpful.

I already tried that and i just cant figure this part out, so please help me.

Im trying to get this particular issue sorted out before i fiddle with the engine anymore because i can still use this setup with the single carb, and swap it over once i get the rest sorted out. but right now it just has the dial type fuel pump regulator and a universal electric fuel pump in the engine bay, and fuel hoses that need to be changed.

SO ideally, id like to buy all of this stuff busdaddy linked to and redo the lines before i try tinkering with the engine anymore.

My plan is to install the pump on the frame in the vicinity of the tank, and then put the tee/regulator on the firewall (i think areomech had something similar but i cant find it now), and im not sure about where to put that relay

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

The relay is best mounted in the engine compartment out of the weather and road splashes.
You are correct, tach is green (#1 or -) wire, black on coil (+ or #15) is a good switched source and the starter or battery is good for the main power, it doesn't have to be switched. Sounds like your current pump is just powered off the coil, no bueno for the ignition switch (heavy load) and pumps whenever the key is on regardless of if the engine is running.
The diagnostic port may have the wires you need, but most of the time too many are disconnected to do any good.

Слава Україні!
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

THANKS BUSDADDY! Ok, thats what I was thinking, i just couldnt quite wrap my mind around it. i know some people find the newer wiring diagrams easier to trace, but its like reading another language when i try it.

Ill order that setup you linked next paycheck and ill probably have to ask more when i get it.

Yeah, the one thats in there is sketchy as all get out.

it seems there was a huge run on wrecked porsche/411 engines and weber progressives back in the day.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Most silent electric fuel pump? Reply with quote

i just couldnt quite wrap my mind around it. i know some people find the newer wiring diagrams easier to trace, but its like reading another language when i try it.

I think Wildthings explained it best!

Wildthings wrote:
grungeant wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Learn to use the later DIM current track style wiring diagrams, once you master them they make trouble shooting much easier.

How can I learn? Is there something that explains them?

Basically the wires running horizontally across the top of the diagram are the main 12volt power wires of the system, i.e. the red battery (B+ or #30) wire which is always hot and the black #15 wire which is switched power from the ignition switch. While the line across the bottom is the body ground. Power always flows from the top to the bottom through any given circuit. The numbers below the ground line at the bottom identify each circuit, in colored diagrams these numbers are highlighted in yellow.

In the diagram below if you want to trouble shoot the oil pressure switch and light, you go to the legend on the right and find that the oil pressure switch is designated F1 and is shown on current track #39. Now you look along the bottom of the diagram for current track #39, where you will find the oil pressure warning light (K3) and the oil pressure switch (F1) connected by a blue wire with a green stripe. Power to the K3 light comes with the #11 fuse via the black wire above it, which can then be traced back to the #15 terminal on the ignition switch (D).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

double click to enlarge

This link from the Samba technical section is also helpful:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/Un...l_2003.pdf

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: