Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ever purchase a bug, not in person?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever purchased a bug, that was located in another state, without ever laying physical eyes on it? Maybe you bought a bug going off of photos and phone calls. Agreed to buy it, then had it shipped to your home. again, never laying eyes on it.

Has anyone ever done this and taken the risk in hopes that it was all you'd hoped it would be?

Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I am interested in seeing the responses because the idea of investing a large sum of money in something as big as a car, with so many systems (even as simple as an ACVW), without laying hands and eyeballs on it first, gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

It's done all the time in the collector car world especially with known celebrity and provenance cars, Duesenberg, Rolls Royce, Ferrari etc. For run of the mill cars you can hire a licensed appraisal and inspection. Go to Hemmings motor news services offered section.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I did it with mixed results. Purchased a car on EBay out of Texas based on a few photos and description. Learned a few things to be sure:

1. Know exactly what is and isn't important to you.
2. Ask as many questions as you need to in order to know what you're getting.
3. Pictures, pictures, pictures.
4. If on a selling site look for references.
5. Confirm seller has a clear title IN THEIR NAME!!
6. Make sure if you use PayPal that you are covered in case you get the car and it's not as described.
7. Save everything in case there is a dispute.
8. Don't take anyone's word for anything. Get proof.
9. Ask for proof that VIN and Title match.
10. I would go as far as to possibly call the local Law Enforcement and ask them to run the VIN etc to make sure it's legit or at least not on a stolen list.
11. Confirm seller will be cooperative with arranging shipment. You don't want someone that can only be available on days without a "y" when the moon is in the seventh phase of Venus.
12. Get accurate shipping quotes so you know ahead of time how much it will cost.
13. Do not send money or payment that you cannot afford to lose.
14. Be prepared to walk away if the seller cannot or will not provide the reasonable information you requested.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I am really undecided if I ever decided to do this, but I'd be lying if I said the thought never crossed my mind.

If, let's say, I found a car in say California (farthest state from me). If I didn't do it the picture and phone call route, that's a round trip flight, if not twice. One to look at, and possibly buy. Then another flight, if you couldn't do it all at once, to arrange shipment and to make sure car was not modified in any way and to make sure it in fact got on the carrier of choice. That's an expensive vehicle after all said and done.

I'm not saying you couldn't work something out with the seller, but I'm guessing you are putting a lot of trust in someone in hopes it gets to you as expected with all nuts and bolts in tact.

One trip probably isn't too bad, but that is a lot of hoping that the bug is exactly as mentioned in the sales ad. After all, you are flying there for THAT vehicle.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I did and I learned a few things. (Don't do it).

Never buy a car that has been sitting near the ocean for a few years.

Hidden sand and rust taught me that lesson.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I bought my Beetle in the UK and had it shipped to Canada. I didn't actually see it in person until it arrived in Canada.

I did my research before buying (and hired a broker to handle the logistics).

I had no problems and was very happy with my purchase. I agree 100% with Sharp, do your research but also trust your gut.

Even if everything checks out and you still have a bad feeling don't 'jump' in too quickly.

If the buyer pressures you to buy quickly (another buyer, whatever), that might be a red flag.

I would search the internet for comparable cars to gauge price.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Unfortunately there is some risk. I paid through PayPal for my car and has the option of filing a compliant when some issues arose. I finally got things resolved but it took me doing so to get the seller off his cocky ass and get done what I needed done. I'm not sure I would have done it without that safety net. Also understand as part of my job I buy and sell things all day long, sometimes big money so it was a little scary for me, but probably not as much as someone who doesn't do it on a daily basis. I did have a few pucker moments but it worked out. I wonder in this day and age of internet sales and such if there is such a thing as a professional intermediary that will go look at a car on your behalf and arrange for inspection, pickup and delivery? I'm sure it would be equivalent to the cost of a plane ticket or more but would be kind of a cool job.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I bought my Ghia sight unseen and it was in Boston!!!! Spent big bucks on it to, was a second owner car never driven in winter, by either owners.. climate controlled garaged by PO whole 8 years he owned it...

After 70 pictures and a LOT of communication I received the car, even after all the communication from PO it still had a few issues that were never caught by PO, he wasn't a big VW guy I guess.. it'seems still worth the price I paid for it as its unmolested and a solid example of a '69 Vert... I could sell it today and either break even or make a few thousand... but it's keeper and have no intentions of ever selling...

I bought a '97 Nissan Sentra off ebay about 9 yrs ago from Boston as well seller claimed no rust in their description, paid 900 for car and 700 shipping got the car and it had some rusted motor parts and 'a' pilar issues... I wasn't worried as ebay insurance sent me a check minus shipping and I got to keep the car!!! Beat the snot out of it for around 40K miles then sold it for $1,200 so yeah I have no problems buying cars sight unseen Laughing

Everett has a sticky where he recommends you fly out to take a peek, wished I would have done that with my Ghia but the guy seriously had so many in line wanting to buy it I just went for it, and really had no time as it sold as soon as it was posted...

however there are plenty of people here that would be happy to check out a car for you for free or maybe a $50 gift card etc... I'm one of them

just beware of people that don't want to give you info on car or themselves..
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

never thought about using a fellow member..............that would be worth it right there Smile

gotta make some members my friends Smile

on a side note...who is this everett character? i notice i get notifications from everett when a thread is commented on Embarassed

Last edited by crankbait09 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

btw, you'd likely buy a one way ticket... because at this point you've left a deposit, communicated like crazy, seen a gazillion pics and know it's road worthy to make the trek home..
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
never thought about using a fellow member..............that would be worth it right there Smile

I'll count you a friend, after all the VW community is tight, and seeing your into acvw you're alright with me... Laughing and besides I have a lot of family in Ohio and WV... Wink

you should look in Midwest and the South... say Oklahoma, Texas etc... Georgia, Alabama.... Lots of dry cars in these places as well... and a shorter trek for you as well

Last edited by 63 vwnotch on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:

I'll count you a friend, after all the VW community is tight, and seeing your into acvw you're alright with me... Laughing and besides I have a lot of family in Ohio and WV... Wink

hey thanks!!, i moved from San Diego in 2003, to come to Ohio. I didn't want a bug when I was there. I had to come back here to want one......SMH Rolling Eyes Shocked
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

When asking specific questions about the car- don't accept adjectives as answers! You can deal with objective terms like measurements- not subjective terms that inherently vary.

When asking about a scratch, say, "How long is that scratch, and how wide?" And expect measurements. Don't accept, "about the length of my hand and barely in the clear coat." as answers.

When asking about free play in the steering wheel- ask how far the wheel swings in degrees or inches of wheel rim travel before it engages steering. Don't accept, "a little" as an answer.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

these are local in your area and appear decent buys, especially as both appear they need the space and the car is a burden, cash in hand and you could get a killer deal..
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5816408784.html

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5823063323.html

EDIT: really nice '69 in Mansfield for $1800 as well....

Last edited by 63 vwnotch on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
these are local in your area and appear decent buys, especially as both appear they need the space and the car is a burden, cash in hand and you could get a killer deal..
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5816408784.html

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5823063323.html

on the average.....if there is zero rust on a car, whats a ballpark price to have a bug painted by a shop?
(kinda hi-jacking my own thread Smile )
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

depends on shop/ area... you could do it yourself, bugs are really easy to paint... remove deck lids and fenders paint separate, most take off doors but you could leave them on...

this way you don't need a huge compressor as you'requested only painting parts... can buy a cheap harbor Frieght HVLP for under $30.... sales even cheaper..

then purchase paint of your choice, I'm partial to PPG...
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I bought George R from a fellow on here in LaMarida CA I am in the upstate NY...everything worked out ok...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nothing out of sorts...it is 48 year old car...it is what it is...

good luck with your purchase...

MikeC
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

If you are truly interested in a west of the continental divide VW. Why not let some of us near by do the look see test drive for you. Even take it to an air cooled VW mechanic. I will say my cars would have no problem making a coast to coast drive.
To answer no I would never buy purchase a car without having it checked over.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

As I mentioned, never thought of utilizing fellow members for this reason. That's actually a fantastic idea.

I will highly consider that option, no matter what state I find one in, unless it's within driving distance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: