Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ever purchase a bug, not in person?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:

on a side note...who is this everett character? i notice i get notifications from everett when a thread is commented on Embarassed

Everett and Jennepher (sp?) Barnes are the founders, owners, managers, administrators and caretakers of this fine site. Be nice to them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

thanks, I figured that out just a short while ago........Now I know Smile
thank you
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Never a VW, but when I was in Iraq I bought a 2000 Trans Am and a 2004 Suzuki GSXR600 online. In the same week no less. Had a friend check them out and went off his word, as well as pictures of course. Didn't have a single problem with either purchase. When I got home a month later they were both sitting in my garage.

Sometimes you just have to go for it. To get big rewards sometimes you need to take big risks.

I'll offer this to you as I have for others. If you find something in my neck of the woods I have no problem checking it out. I'm not a VW mechanic, but I know what rust and hack work looks like.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

A competent friend is one thing. Just going by the word(s) of the seller is quite another.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

So I had a good experience with an online purchase "sight unseen".
I was looking for a 67 better than "Rusty" in my sig below.
While working in New York 1.5 year ago I began my search. The problem is I live in Oregon and getting on a plane to look at a car in another state would have been difficult.
I spotted a highlighted add in the samba classifieds and contacted the seller first via the email on the add. The car was located in Tucson, Az.
After exchanging a few emails the seller sent me his phone number. From there we exchanged a few texts back and forth. Then the seller asked if he could call and I agreed. We had many hours of conversations. And I mean many many hours! Through all of the conversations I felt that the seller was a genuine VW enthusiast that wanted his one family owned car to go to a caring second family home. This dance went on for a few weeks. I assured the seller that I had no intention of flipping the car as it was just what I was shopping for. I finally sent the seller a deposit until I could get all of the outstanding funds to him via a bank transfer. Before the monetary transfer was complete, I asked for a very specific "proof of Life Photo" via email. The image appeared in a text message in less than 5 minutes. At this point I felt kinda bad asking for that, after all of the hours we had talked on the phone. The seller said "I understand. That is alot of money to send to a complete stranger" 25 minutes later the deal was done.
Throughout the entire process the seller constantly sent me new images of the car as well as a few teaser video's of the engine running. He even stored the car at his house for another month while I made arraignments on the receiving end in my absence.

When I got home from NY. There was my new to me 67 sitting in my sister's garage waiting for me. When the car was delivered to my sister's house my brother in law could not stop gushing on how nice the car was. I knew I had made a good choice.
Even after the sale was complete the seller and I had further hours + conversations. I fact he called me last month to see how things were. Yet another hour long conversation. Awesome.
I know that I left a few details out of this whole story. But all in all, I was quite satisfied with my experience. YMMV!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67CarGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old post (how old is too old?) but I'm currently in the process of doing this. Granted, it's a family car, owned since new, but I'm buying it in San Diego and shipping it to Baltimore, MD. I'm also doing this while the knowledgeable owner is in the hospital, unable to help beyond verbal instructions, and his amazing wife is trying to take directions from both him and me. Not easy, to say the least.

BTW, I'll be approaching various San Diego/SoCal-based members for some help with this shortly, so if you get a PM from me in the next few weeks that's likely what it's about. Thanks in advance!!

So I'm glad to read that others have had good luck with this sort of thing, and the fact that it's family has me keeping my fingers crossed that all turns out well.

Alex

rcooled wrote:

On the other hand, if what the OP really wants is a project that'll take up all of his free time for a couple of years, relieve his bank account of many thousands of dollars and frustrate the living hell out of him, then this car is a good place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Is this YOUR family?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
67CarGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Yes, by marriage. Car has been in the family since new.

rcooled wrote:

On the other hand, if what the OP really wants is a project that'll take up all of his free time for a couple of years, relieve his bank account of many thousands of dollars and frustrate the living hell out of him, then this car is a good place to start.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Good luck with the family car, start a thread in the Bug Forum about it when you get it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

67CarGuy wrote:
Yes, by marriage. Car has been in the family since new.

Ok. Was just making sure it was clear. Lots of "1 owner" cars advertised out there and this started to sound a bit scammish. Dealing with a family member should make this an easier transaction. In order to find a shipper try looking through eBay and there is a service where you can submit the job out for bid. It will send it to various companies and they will bid it for you. I ended up with paying about $600 to get the car from Texas to Florida, so that may be a good comparison. I would suggest having the family member mail you the title versus handing it to the shipper. Also, make sure the title is signed over to you and completed properly prior to sending the car to you.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
osgoode65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I purchased a Bus from a fellow Samba inmate site on scene. The Bus was in St. Petes Florida and I am in Ontario Canada, so I used all the ideas I could come up with before handing over many thousands of dollars for a vehicle in pictures.
I talked directly to the seller, he was an honest VW enthusiast, GOOD.
He sent pictures privately of vehicle documents in his name with matching VIN # pictures from all locations they should be on vehicle, GOOD.
Any requested additional photos I wanted he provided, GOOD.
I arranged an auto transport company to pickup and deliver the vehicle from Florida to Canada. Seller agreed to help in anyway to meet the transporters needs.
A deposit was given. Balance paid in full by internet when original signed paperwork and vehicle were passed to the BONDED transporter. Now I was nervous. A long 5 day wait until I went to the compound and seen it person and touched the 1964 Double Door Bus - Sully. He was exactly what I expected.
No regrets, about to do it again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GlockCop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Not a VW car but related. This last summer a friend of mine just had to have a dodge challenger Hellcat. He found one in Arizona. Had all the go fast parts,right color ,6 speed etc. He pays the guy a 60000.00 dollar cashiers check without even seeing this car! He gets it and the motor burns up a week later. Turns out all the go fast parts were put in and the computer wasn't programmed for them. So hes out a new motor (expensive) AND it took asix weeks to get the title from the guy. My advice...always in person.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I bought the '59 out of my grandfathers estate, had not seen the car for years, but knew it was his DD and had been garage kept for most of its life.
Lots of cousins expressed interest, so the 3 heirs had a local vw guy come look and asked him what he would pay. Then they told us whoever coughed up the cash would get the car.
Train to DC to get the keys and box of receipts, convinced a friend to drive me to MD, had a great lunch, and wearing my woolies (it was Feb.)set off for home to NYC.
Fan crapped out near Wilmington, I got it fixed at a vw dealer after a night in a notellmotel and all was well. It was some effing cold ride after the sun went down. Nothing like holey heater channels and the gale thru the dash from the rotted hood seal.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I have bought and sold several cars without actually seeing them (some in Europe) without a problem. Pictures, phone calls and common sense. If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I know the OP was started a while ago, but I appreciate all the feedback. It seems like the only Bugs that I can find in good shape (No rust) are, as you know, out west. Going off pictures/discussions is not exactly out of the question.

off topic: Since I posted the OP, I notice bugs from 61-64 have increased in cost considerably. A year ago, I think the cost for a decent bug was 5-7k, now i'm seeing them closer to 8-10k, if not more. What is causing that extra few grand increase?

Come April, I will definitely be on the market again. Unless they go up another few grand, then I will quietly bail out of the hunt. Crying or Very sad
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Yup - Done it twice and happy with both purchases.

Check out my story - link in Signature line below about my 71 Super Beetle bought in Sacramento, and I bought a 77 Westy in Vernon BC also.

Got full independent inspections on both prior to pulling the trigger, including lots of photos detailing the worst parts of the vehicles.

Do your homework and it will work out ok.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

Crankbait 09 I don't think it's just 61-64, I think all the prices have risen in the past year or so. Stocks are up, people have a little more money, each year the cars get scarcer...pick one for your reason. Deals are still out there though.
I'm having a bug shipped in from California right now. I'll let you know how it comes out.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I bought a bus (my first VW) from Hawaii last year. Saw some pics online and pulled the trigger. I feel I overpaid, but it is what it is. Next time I won’t be so impulsive.
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I just purchased oval from other samba member and still waiting on shipping. Im nervous but seller seems like honest guy. I will let you know when i get car.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: ever purchase a bug, not in person? Reply with quote

I am in upstate NY and I bought this from a fellow on here from Santa Anna CA...he told me everything up front about it...just bought this one from a fellow in Santa Rosa CA

...only time will tell on this one...good luck with your purchase....

MikeC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: