Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mid engine chassis?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiaroadster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

What is the wheel base of that fabulous chassis?
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

85"

Not in the classfieds just yet bnc! If I ever get the time I'll finally get this thing put together!
Jeff
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

One of my all time favorite builds on the subject. Incredible. These two guys are amazing, don't miss this build. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

WilliamA and vw (o\!/o) nut are some crazy talented builders

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

Anyone know where a person can purchase rear uprights for a multilink IRS setup?

brad
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Anyone know where a person can purchase rear uprights for a multilink IRS setup?
brad

I'll take a stab at a very good question. I was able to snag a NOS set of Chassis Shop uprights for my build, oh, about 8-9 years ago (they were well out of production at that time). Awesome find though as these take standard VW IRS axles/bearings.

That said, something with a more modern cartridge type bearing and stub-axle system would probably be preferable if starting over.

Go with real "formula car" bits:
http://fastforwardracingcomponents.com/fast-forward-parts/uprights/hub-carrier/

Ford T-Bird parts, used or new:
http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=378&cat_id=36

"Converted" IRS uprights from a mass-production vehicle?
Honda (or other) SUV AWD rear uprights
Subaru front uprights (used on the FFR 818 rear)

Later version Corvette parts - grab the whole rear end and suspension used and adapt chassis to fit, Google is your friend for this one. This may actually be the least expensive option!

Build your own from scratch?

Definitely have to look outside the box for these bits. Of course, you get to also design a matching rear suspension from scratch to work with the upright of choice!

Jeff
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

One other thought - you might look into a sand buggy manufacturer that builds a mid-engine IRS style chassis - see if they'll sell the uprights separately? Depending on how much "VW" you want to retain in the axle, suspension and hub parts this might be a more straightforward way to go?

Real race car parts are hugely expensive (the site I listed above seems to be the most reasonable I've found) - but more optimum for general weight and capacity for a lightweight buggy type car. Vintage Super-Vee uprights would be ideal, lightweight and using mostly VW based parts to flesh 'em out. No longer readily available that I've found, sometimes you can find spares on the racer for-sale sites?

Jeff
MNChief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

Friend of mine threatened to steal the body of my build for his tube frame creation, a transverse mid engine GM 3800 supercharged in the original cradle with the automatic. Dimensional it is only about 6 inches longer (front to back) than the VW air cooled set-up. The cradle makes the frame, he just had to add strut tower supports.
WilliamA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

brad

Hey guys,
I can't believe this thread is still going strong after all this time.

Actually, building VW based uprights is not as hard as you might think. We built ours with zero previous experience in it. The core of ours were Empi VW bearing carriers. I made a jig and welded them up. I think the jig is still hanging on the wall in the shop somewhere. Only ever made the one set. The hardest part by far was doing the welding on the bearing carriers very slowly so they didn't warp. We ended up sending one off to the machinist to have it trued up and I welded the other so slowly it didn't warp.

As to the transmission, I'm still amazed folks don't consider using the venerable type I trans with the ring gear swapped side to side like we did. It's light, incredibly easy to work with, cheap (did I mention it's not very expensive?) and surprisingly strong in stock form. A few well-placed dollars would make it even more resilient. If you really want exotic, well, there's always a Pagani Zonda drivetrain. It'd get a lot of looks, but if it's respect and satisfaction you are after, make it yourself.

WilliamA

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
A E Numan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine chassis? Reply with quote

You guys set a level of creativity and innovation that will stand for a long time. Thank You !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: