Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll - too lean or just right?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this plug too lean?
Too lean
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Just right!
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Too hot.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

Just pulled the plugs on my '72 Super to check them due to the bug recently not starting on the first hit of the key after doing so for as long as I can remember. I was thinking that perhaps it was running rich also because of my MPG dropping after recently installing a new POS chinese mechanical fuel pump.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

It looks a little on the lean side--certainly not rich. But not too lean, in my opinion.

How long have those plugs been in?

Are you starting the car according to the owners manual? Has it been sitting for, say a week?

I always start my engine for the first time, by slowly pressing the pedal to the floor and letting it up slowly to engage the choke. All other starts in the day, I just start normally (just a little pedal).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

It looks a little on the lean side--certainly not rich. But not too lean, in my opinion.

How long have those plugs been in?

Are you starting the car according to the owners manual? Has it been sitting for, say a week?

I always start my engine for the first time, by slowly pressing the pedal to the floor and letting it up slowly to engage the choke. All other starts in the day, I just start normally (just a little pedal).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

Tim, this is my '72 and my daily driver. I put about 25/miles a day on it, sometimes more. And I start it per the manual (I think) - one quick pop of the pedal to engage the choke when it's cold, turn the key. When hot, slowly press down on the gas pedal. Oh, and I wouldn't characterize this as a "hard start" problem at all. Despite my description, I NEVER have to lean on the key for more than 2-3 seconds for it to start.

[EDIT] oh and the plugs have several 1000 miles on them. They're the NGK B5 something-or-other (i think that's the brand and model) plugs.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Tim

x2

I would expect to see a little more carbon on a the base of the plug.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

I run NGK B5HS plugs, gapped at .025.

Bently says .025 for carbed models, and .028 for fuel injection. My original Owners Manual says to gap at .028. So what's a guy to do? I just gap per Bently and assume the longer the plugs are in there, the wider the gap will become. However, when I pull them, they never seem to increase in gap. But, I don't put enough miles on the car. After a round of harder summer starting--when the engine was warm and sitting for about a half hour--I replaced my plugs with new ones that probably have fewer than 4000 miles on them. They were a little darker than yours, but not by much--a tad more carbon.

By "harder starting", I meant that it wouldn't fire up on the first, short try. The new plugs seemed to help, but I believe that unless you gas it perfectly when the engine has been for a run (and you spent a good half hour, letting it sit), a second try is sometimes necessary because that's just what carbed acvw's do sometimes.

Starting cold: easy.

Starting hot after a short period after shut down: easy. Barely any pedal required.

Starting warm after awhile--say over a half hour--requires an experienced touch on the pedal that works most of the time, but not always. Thus, it's necessary to go at it a second time.

Either time, however, I never have to turn the starter more than a second or two, unless I've flooded it, and three or four seconds is required.

I've found that learning my engine's starting requirement's, according to its temperature, pretty much assures first-crank fire ups.

But, I also check my point gap, timing, and valve adjustment fairly often: once every four months, or thereabouts.

I'd re-check your plug gaps, then reinstall them.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

check oil to see if the fuel pump is putting fuel in the oil for the droped mpg. the mix looks ok a tad leen for my likeinngs, but not that bad. pull them all to get a good idea. possiably a valva adjustment too. and air cleaner cleaning/replacing. timing check. and check for kids stealing your fuel.....well it used ot be kids not it could be your neibor's dad Shocked . also sometimes it's the connection between your brain and thoughts and then back to your brain down to your foot. if somethen is going on that wasent it can change your driving habbits enough to change the mpg but not enough for your brain to see the change....also traffic patterns and extra morons in the way can cause it....as well the loose nut behind the wheel.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

Actually, a too-rich condition would cause poorer gas mileage--not too lean.

Victor, is your timing right on? Do you get a nice advance when you reve it up?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll - too lean or just right? Reply with quote

Timing is spot on 5* ATDC. It advances to a out 32* BTDC at 3k+ RPM, so about 37* total advance. It's a German bosch DVDA dizzy that's correct for a '71 autostick based on glutamodo's chart. 205AJ I think.

I have the same plugs as u, Tim, but I gapped them to .28. No gas thieves on my street as far as I know...valves set to.005 about 1k miles ago. Definitely the occasional issue with the nut behind the wheel.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: