Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q13931152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Loving what you're doing for the dash. Definitely looks a lot nicer then the diamond plate box did.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Allright, I have to go through and re-combobulate this thread where I can after all the photobucket discombobulation. I know I should have had it on the server here but I had everything else on Photobucket so I just kept my train going and paid the price.

SO. Here's where we stand:

(This is an ICE COLD start with a partially dry fuel system on my carb's 'base tune.' One of the boys has my AEM Wideband so I have to recall it from our informal Bro Tool Exchange program so I can use it)

Link

Needless to say I'm in a pretty good place. Lean spot on top, some loose ends on the chassis to tie up, torsion bars to adjust. (obviously)

I still have the dash and electrical system to knock out but I like that stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I finished all the fiberglass work which came out well but sucked horribly. I thought I hated painting, but this put me on a new level of internal anger.

Blue tape with a backup plate makes a great "mold release"

laying up, plenty of overlap on the feathered edge

layered over the whole back lip for rigidity with a layer of mat

machined my own resin roller after Amazon screwed me. JEFF BEZOS I WILL FIND YOU. Evil or Very Mad

Making new number panels in case I want them, mainly for entry level new part practice.

1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

I would say hurry up, but it's too cold out for me now.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Nice work. Glass aint no kinda fun if you're the one doing the work. Lots of fun for designers and it sure is a whole lot easier to make shapes than with sheet metal. But don't ya love ta itch?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Thanks Richard! I researched heavily and found that the Epoxy resins are usually easier to work with and stronger than the poly resin.

However, based on the fact that my body was quite obviously Chopper-gunned at Chenowth back in 1975 or so, most chopper guns now and especially at that time would only be able to lay poly resin with the chopped strand. It made it easy on me, because that means I could just grab some of the waxed Bondo Resin from AutoZone. You just have to clean the wax layer that floats to the top of every "session" before you lay fresh resin on hardened stuff. I always acetone, sanded, then acetoned to prep for the next layup. This is my first go at Fiberglass and I think the research payed off. It feels REALLY strong.

Now I promised the dash stuff. I know I'm slow, but I believe it was Thomas Jefferson that once said, "It is better to whole-ass one thing than to half-ass two things." And so based on that nugget of wisdom, I trudge forward.

The gauge panels and bezels are being laser cut out of 1/8" SS right now, I don't know what the lead time is since I called in a favor. Razz

First I designed it all up, paying very close attention to "ease of manufacture"

Then, I made the stuff! It's only two steps right? First you think about it, then you do it!

In other news, I scored a UMP can for $75 with a 3" outlet, which according to my maths should be just fine for my mild 1915 singe carb. I bought some other stuff to go with it and started mocking her up!

RuffStuff Specialties had a killer sale on their rear chase light bars so I scored one off their website for like $48 or something stupid. Pretty jazzed about it.

tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

wow that's an awesome buggy! love the ignition switch mount!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Is it going together for the last time?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments!

Oooooh c'mon, you know there's about 2-3 more disassemblations and reassemblations on the road to the finish line here. Very Happy still have to take it apart to weld the chassis out, reassemble it, take it down south for a shakedown run, take it apart, have it blasted and painted right after I tab it out for some tucked clean wire routing.

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Work has been pretty solid 14hr days lately so the only things that happened are things I paid to have happen. Fortunately they turned out pretty nice so I still got to smile.

tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Bitchin'!
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Suh-weet
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

In my usual careful slow style, I've gotten almost nothing done and what I have gotten done is inconsequential. And so I trudge forward. Almost ready to tear down and weld out and paint!

Dash fully actually installed with all the labels fitted:

I hate chrome a lot so I had to re-make the CNC turning brake handle with a carbon steel handle, machine parts and some laser cut badges.

Looook my cute little monster is almost ready to get prettied up!
I'll be cutting skid plates when the car is naked down to the frame so it'll be really easy on me.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

The way the body is sitting kinda looks like it's snarling at ya.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

cbeck, I've got to fix that. Very Happy Dzus tabbing is probably my least favorite buggy activity aside from fiberglass, so I've been putting it off.

I've been piddling about, doing a bunch of little stuff when I get a chance between rather overbearing work requirements. First, I decided I liked the idea of an old-school lever action reverse lockout so I called in a mo-ped throttle for the job.

The shift lever is CP4 Titanium so machining is always interesting.

Lever bolts right on there!

Then I needed to make IRS bolt stops so a hex key had to be sacrificed to the gods of goin' fast.

I made them wide enough to throw a fat wrench on so they could be VERY easily and simply nudged into alignment with the lock tab.

Then, it was bump stop time.

I made a little tool with the tip of a hole saw to spot face the area for a custom fastener to seat on to hold the stops on.

I still have to flatten the area on the bottom where the "cup" is and make a landing pad on the trailing arm.

My dash and a bunch of other little hard parts came back from Black Anodize, and things are looking pretty clean now.

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Well, I haven't gotten too far since I had to go out of town, but here's what I've managed to gather/make. Really I'm getting down to the end here, the only "big" task I have is to DZUS tab the hood on. I don't like it but it's not that hard.

Polaris 3-panel mirror for their UTVs is perfect. Made a sweet stainless clamp-on mount like my side mirrors.

This has turned into a sort of "period correct" kind of build, with the real Jackman wheels, old Chenowth body reconditioned, CNC/NEAL hydraulics and pedals, T3/T1 drum setup, real Porsche axles and stubs. No EMPI to be found here! I knew I needed to take the front end back OOOoooOOOLLLD SKOOL. I got real lucky and scored some goodies that are all in almost perfect shape. I think I want to find a matching Kingpin for the other Combo Spindle, though both work. (One is circlip style, the other is shoulder style.)

Without Further Ado, Wright Place Combos and a very low hour Wright 1.5:1 R&P

And I got the dash mounted in the car and it looks pretty tight, yes.

I would have to be pretty lazy to not have this car running mid-summer. Maybe not aesthetically perfect, but solid.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Are you going to be at Spring Fling? I might not make the deadline on mine...too much baseball with the son and not enough time in the shop. Yours is looking great. I will definitely have the turd between when next to yours and Becks. But since its been dubbed the "Zombie" by the boy i guess it fits.

BTW, thanks for the dash Idea. Found a 5"x5" 6160 tube and a sheet of 1/4" plate in the scrap bins at Shapiro's for $15. Brother should be tigging it up tonight.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Already registered. Time to ruffle some purists feathers.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

It's looking good. And I approve of the direction you're still going with the build. The dash is sweet. Not too much bling or un-needed complication.

You guys talk about 1/4" wall tube and plate for dash boards, where I would use 1/16". But that's OK. Use what ya got. That's old school right there. I have a dash out of a 40 year old Hi Jumper race car (not mine) in my garage that's made out of 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate. It's mainly intended to be a wall hanger ornament. Like my Sprint Car wing. Only reason I kept it long ago and didn't scrap it.

Score on the front end parts. The Wright rack is the original deal and so are the Combo spindles. Cecil Wright invented that stuff and all the rest are just imitations.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Cbeck and Fenix, I'll be there the whole time, but no buggy, and I don't know anyone with an open seat. Way to much to do in like 8 days or whatever. Sad I am easily going to make the fall one and I'll have my car well debugged by then.

Fenix, "might not make it" sounds to me like you're close, what do ya need? As we say at work, "All we really lack is finishing up!"

Dusty, once I got the history on the Wright stuff and saw how cool it looked with the name and patent number cast into the body, I had to find the Wright stuff. I always drive whatever I have kinda hard and I just wanted the security of knowing the important bits were really strong. Hopefully stock link pin arms are tough too! Razz
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

So as luck would have it I got some work in today. I need some opinions on this one because I can't figure the safest way to do this. This is a remote battery disconnect setup, where you push the red anodized handle to kill power, and yank out on it to lock the disconnect back into the ON position. This is the double pole switch for killing power to the car and killing the alternator connection to the car and battery.

Here's what I have now. This isn't totally unprecedented, as the NHRA allows setups like this, and I like that it keeps the battery lead very short. There are a few manufacturers of remote disconnects like this, I just made my own because it needed to be a little special.

I will likely also have a high amp fuse right on the battery terminal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: