Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

Hello,

I need a pitman arm reamed for Ford tie rod ends and gusseted for extra strength.

I'm looking for recommendations for a good fabrication shop in Orange County CA.

This is what I need done:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

...preferably near Anaheim.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

...or anyplace in Orange County.
Doesn't have to be Anaheim.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

In all reality rent is extremely high in OC I've found much better folks in IE. I left Tustin and moved to Ontario its great out here. OC Hourly rate for custom work is easily 150 per hour. From my experience that's a 2 hour job. Your much better off finding a buddy. I have a small fab shop and plenty of raw material but I do not have a ford tie rod reamer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

Again.
Looking for a fab shop in Orange County, CA.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

Anyone?

Places I've checked with so far:
Penhall, Kartek, Jonny Lightning. None of them can help.

Nobody is answering the phone at Wicked Creations.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

Found a place.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

🙄
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

So who did you use?
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:
So who did you use?

Kustom 1 Warehouse reamed it.

Penhall Fabrication is doing the gussets.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

Highly recommend welding on the gusset before teaming the tapers. You would be surprised how much things can warp.

You can test if it is a good fit by putting the tapered stud in the tapered hole, and giving the ball joint a gentle tap to seat the taper. It should stick on its own and not fall out.

As long as she sticks, your gold.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Highly recommend welding on the gusset before teaming the tapers. You would be surprised how much things can warp.

You can test if it is a good fit by putting the tapered stud in the tapered hole, and giving the ball joint a gentle tap to seat the taper. It should stick on its own and not fall out.

As long as she sticks, your gold.

I agree with Van here.

I did my own long ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just after I painted it in 2008. Simply TIG welded. You can MIG weld it too. Nothing special about welding it. Reamed for Ford truck tie rod ends after welding.

Also reamed the pinch bolt hole for 1/2" through bolt. Used an Allen fine thread bolt with Gr8 nylock nut. I've stripped the threads in the arm out with the stock 12mm coarse thread pinch bolt. I've also stretched the stock 8.8 12mm bolt enough that the splines for the steering box shaft stripped out of the arm.

As you see the arm in my picture has worked for years for driving my Baja like a race car on the roughest race course in desert offroad racing. A similar pitman arm prepped the same has worked on my Hi Jumper race car for decades.

I put thick washers between the top of the arm and the bottom of the steering box to limit upward push on the shaft which will break the steering box top. The washers should leave a few thousandths clearance at center of travel.

These are old off road racer tricks from before Cecil Wright invented center mount offroad steering racks in the late 70s.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Recommendation in Orange County For Pitman Arm Modification Reply with quote

If I were to do something similar to this ^^^ but didn't have any intentions to ream up to a larger taper/bore, could I expect to control distortion by inserting a couple sacrificial BJ studs and torquing to spec to fill the holes and maintain dimension?

The scenario is, bay-window Bus swing lever (which is similar to a Pitman in that it has the two tie-rod attach points), but where the tie-rod attachment end would be cut off the lever and captured in a new bracket. This bracket would then be bolted to a Saco rack (which currently has the Tatum config with two widely-spaced 1/2" sleeves for heims).

I realize I have to consider any offset and increased moment/side loads on the rack and undue stress on the gear(s).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: