Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake fluid hose
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

Will fuel line from the master cylinder reservoir to the master cylinder be OK?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

no, brake fluid will eat that hose up.

use the correct hose - http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VHD%2DN20%2D3501
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

Use the correct hose or have major issues.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Use the correct hose or have major issues.

In a hurry and don't want to wait for shipment to come. Went to several FLAPS no help there. Someone suggested a place called "Tubes and Hoses" Checked with them and said yes we have it, it's called remote reservoir brake hose. He said don't use it for anything except brake fluid. I said let me have it. Got it home and got to looking at it and it looks just like plain ole rubber hose. Now I am worried Sad . I cut a small piece off and put in brake fluid. Should a day in the fluid and if it doesn't get soft or swell be a good enough test to see if it will be OK. I also cut a small piece of fuel line and put in to make a comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

You got time to see if rubber melts but no time to wait a couple days for shipping? Rolling Eyes
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
You got time to see if rubber melts but no time to wait a couple days for shipping? Rolling Eyes

I didn't say I didn't have time to wait, I said I didn't want to. If I have to wait I will. I just can't believe that all the things that use master cylinders with remote reservoirs and slave cylinders that the vw uses something that isn't available local. Monday I'll got to truck shops, Industrial equipment and even brake shops. I'll bet some of them will have hoses that carry brake fluid and that they didn't have to go to a VW bug supplier to get it.
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

Well it is a 40+yr old car. Want to have fun? Try going to a local store looking for 40yr old Fiat parts. VW doesn't make anything for ACVW's anymore so count ya blessing we still can get hoses that are comparable.

That said you probably could get away with any hose that is compatible with our brake fluid as long as it's the right metric size which frequently is a problem finding in USA.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

The hose you bought should have a manufacturer name and number or description printed on it. Google that info and you should find complete info for that hose and what it is compatible with.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

he last time I needed the blue reservoir hose, I got it off of Amazon
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid hose Reply with quote

I bleed and put fresh DOT 3 brake fluid in my Bugs every two years.

I've been using regular 3/8" gas line to connect the reservoir to the m/c for years. I haven't noticed any weeping of brake fluid through the hose. When I bleed the system I see no bits of rubber nor is the brake fluid blackened. Maybe it's just luck and/or the type of gas line I've used.

This is only my experience and I make no claim other than that. I'm no rubber materials expert nor have I done any research on the subject.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: