Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Good morning, I'm Phil. I have recently purchased a 1968 Bug w/ a 1600SP. This is my very first beetle and its everything I wanted it to be. My best friend has a 66, but its slammed and that's cool, but not exactly my taste. I've always loved the look of rally cars and especially the long distance cars like the Peking to Paris or the Panamerica. That was always the idea I had for my beetle. At first I thought it would just give it the aesthetics, but then....my motor went. I was having a great day cruising around lake George and the Adirondacks when I noticed the car was not accelerating anymore. Pulled over and saw some smoke, I turned the car off and it stayed that way. Car wont turn over, can't turn the crank. So I got it towed down and now I'm diving in.

They day I took delivery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next to the DD

That time I "totally" beat a shelby in a drag race

Downtown Ballstion spa,NY show

how she sits now

was my first time pulling a motor. Did it by myself. It went east until the valve cover latch snapped up and cover flew off mid drop.

Here is a list of things I want to get done this winter; though it is doubtful I will get to finish them all:

enigne
Rebuild engine
-Look into DP set up
Doghouse oil cooler
Full flow oil system
Remove heater tubes. Car will never be driven in cold weather.
Interior
POR15 the pans. Top and bottom
Carpet/sound deadening
Convert to all metal dash
Gauges: Oil temp/oil pressure/volt/tripometer/map lights/fuel
door cards/window scrapers
exterior
Fog lights
-Cibie
kamei spoiler
roof rack
new rubber seals
suspension
LSD
wheels/tires
drum to disc
skid plates
drop spindles???

some inspirational beetles:

Thank you for reading my build thread. I look forward to posting more and to any criticism or suggestions.

-Phil
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

I get where you want to take your VW.
Do your homework on the engine. Not sure if the engine case is a single relief, dual relief case is better. Nothing wrong with a single port.
For safety when I remove an engine a minimum of two, four is better, one on the jack, two on the engine, one ready to dial 911.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Not sure if the engine case is a single relief, dual relief case is better. Nothing wrong with a single port.

I havent come across this concern in my research will have to look into it more

gt1953 wrote:

For safety when I remove an engine a minimum of two, four is better, one on the jack, two on the engine, one ready to dial 911.

Sucks when you live alone in a new city and don't know anyone that's into cars
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Welcome Phil! Very Happy
z33taxi wrote:
Car wont turn over, can't turn the crank.
-Phil

What ya got there, Phil, sounds like a seized motor. Likely a spun bearing on the crank. Happened to me.
Despite that, I think SP engines are ultra-reliable; nearly bullet-proof.
What's the number under the gen stand? Does it start with "H5"? H5 engines are notorious for being "soft". It's also probably single relief.

If I were in your situation, I'd rebuild the engine as is. You don't get much ROI for the expense of upgrading to DP, especially on a single relief H5 case.

Meanwhile, I'd be saving my $$ and doing research into the more powerful go-box of my dreams.

Good luck, and welcome to the club. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

That's a great car..I've been looking at that same photo of the silver and black...I'm thinking the same rally car conversion.
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Welcome Phil! Very Happy
z33taxi wrote:
-Phil

What ya got there, Phil, sounds like a seized motor. Likely a spun bearing on the crank. Happened to me.
What's the number under the gen stand? Does it start with "H5"? H5 engines are notorious for being "soft". It's also probably single relief.

If I were in your situation, I'd rebuild the engine as is. You don't get much ROI for the expense of upgrading to DP, especially on a single relief H5 case.

Meanwhile, I'd be saving my $$ and doing research into the more powerful go-box of my dreams.

I was just having too good of a day when it happened. I was pushing it for too long at highway speeds, around 65/70. Went up a hill, noticed a the speed dropped, but when I flattened out the car would not accelerate and when I pulled over saw some smoke. Turned the car off and let it cool down. From there sounds like it wanted to turn over, but wouldn't.

Live and learn.

At the suggestion of a friend I picked a Gene Berg oil temp dipstick, but I plan on running a oil temp sensor.

Also, the number under my gen stand is AE 946702 which doesn't make sense because it is definitely a single port motor

Last edited by z33taxi on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
That's a great car..I've been looking at that same photo of the silver and black...I'm thinking the same rally car conversion.

His build thread is amazing
http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=19982.90
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

double post
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Good luck with the car! It looks like a fun one.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:

I hope it turns out that way. I just have to beat back the anxiety and approach everything carefully.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

z33taxi wrote:
Beetlebaum wrote:

I hope it turns out that way. I just have to beat back the anxiety and approach everything carefully.

I learned everything I know about cars on my '73 over the eight years that I've owned it (I bought it when I was fifteen). Very Happy You can do it--just go methodologically, take pictures, make notes, and spend a lot of time browsing this site! Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

z33taxi wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Welcome Phil! Very Happy
z33taxi wrote:
-Phil

I was just having too good of a day when it happened. I was pushing it for too long at highway speeds, around 65/70. Went up a hill, noticed a the speed dropped, but when I flattened out the car would not accelerate and when I pulled over saw some smoke. Turned the car off and let it cool down. From there sounds like it wanted to turn over, but wouldn't.

Live and learn.

At the suggestion of a friend I picked a Gene Berg oil temp dipstick, but I plan on running a oil temp sensor.

Also, the number under my gen stand is AE 946702 which doesn't make sense because it is definitely a single port motor

Here's something to consider. I can take a dual port engine AE,AE, doesn't matter remove the four upper center studs and install single port heads and presto change O you've got a single port. It works the other way as well I can build a use dual port engine using 66-70 case by changing those same studs.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I can take a dual port engine AE,AE, doesn't matter remove the four upper center studs and install single port heads and presto change O you've got a single port. It works the other way as well I can build a use dual port engine using 66-70 case by changing those same studs.

Back in 1976 I made a 1970 1600cc SP engine into an 1835cc DP engine. So not uncommon for engine not to jive with original engine number details.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Here's something to consider. I can take a dual port engine AE,AE, doesn't matter remove the four upper center studs and install single port heads and presto change O you've got a single port. It works the other way as well I can build a use dual port engine using 66-70 case by changing those same studs.

Ah ok that makes perfect sense. I just want to make sure when I start ordering parts they are the correct size and fit.
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

I forgot I had this(I'm addicted to vintage racing memorabilia and other signs). Hopefully the beetle will earn its own rallye plaque in the near future.

In more depressing news, my daily driver decided it didn't need 2 rods and threw them out. I am not even going to attempt to fix it or have it fixed, I'm just not that cash rich right now

Last edited by z33taxi on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Want a racer??
This might be the perfect time to transplant the engine from your daily driver into your bug Laughing and make your bug the daily driver.... surprised no one caught that one yet... I hope for your sake that the reason that I don't see any badge on the silver car is that you pried the STi badge off for a cleaner look of the rear end Wink

Last edited by tisius on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

My yoke just came in the mail, so that's good news. Tomorrow I will pick up an engine stand from Harbor F. I understand I will have to do some drilling to make it spin and whatnot.

Soon it will be time to tackle this little fella.

I'm really hoping this becomes somewhat therapeutic because I really need it. Burning the candles at both ends just isn't working for me anymore.
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

Started to tear my carb down tonight. Overall it looked decently clean, there was some small traces of rust/browning. It was my first time tearing down a carb and it was overall a fun time. Learned a lot about how they work and have a much better understanding about them.

Good carbs vs bad carbs

Bought a rebuild kit and J bugs and it came with a nice tear down schematic for both the 30Pict/1 had the 34 series.

SO many tiny pieces. I actually managed not to drop or lose anything

It's currently soaking in a gumout carb bucket. Will let it stew for a day and see how it turns out

I picked up the sweet enamel sign off ebay from a man living in Ukraine. It's repainted but I love how it looks.
[/b]
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

got bored, so I decided to start tearing out the interior. I took all the lap belts out which was straight forward. The front seats rails are soaking in PB blaster because they would not budge and it 2AM and didn't feel like using a mallet and wake the neighbors up. The only thing I couldn't figure out is the backseat. I got the bench out, but they back presented some issues. I searched on here and it seems people were just focused on getting it to drop flat. I found the bar and pull on the side, but it seems that there is fabric sewn into the seat back that extends into the luggage area?

The "plan" was to possibly go without a backseat for a rally appearnce and for storage boxes; so I don't know if taking out the sharp blades is the way I want to go. Any input on how to get this seat out? Id love to be able to get back there and get a wire wheel on the metal and start hitting the interior with POR15.

[b] Not a beelte, but I love this guys approach to his 2 stroke Saab rally car.

Link
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: First beetle. 1968 1600SP. winter refresh/rebuild Reply with quote

z33taxi wrote:
. . . The only thing I couldn't figure out is the backseat. I got the bench out, but they back presented some issues. I searched on here and it seems people were just focused on getting it to drop flat. I found the bar and pull on the side, but it seems that there is fabric sewn into the seat back that extends into the luggage area?

The "plan" was to possibly go without a backseat for a rally appearnce and for storage boxes; so I don't know if taking out the sharp blades is the way I want to go. Any input on how to get this seat out? . . .

I converted my back seat into a cargo area a few years ago (check out my gallery photos if you want a pic of it), and it's been a while since I messed around with any VW interiors, but I'm pretty sure that bit of carpet that stretches from the seat back to the luggage area is just tucked into a metal slot that sits between the fender wells (about where you wrote the words "sewn in?" in your photo). You should be to able to pull it out by giving it a good tug. Once the carpet is out of the way, it's pretty obvious how to remove the seat back. I only had to remove one bolt on mine (I don't remember if it's the one on the driver or the passenger side), the other bolt is just there as a pivot point. The seat frame should slide right off it once you take out the other bolt, assuming yours is like mine.

Good luck, man! I'm digging the whole rally car thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: