Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak??
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am having issues with an EMPI HPMX 40 carb leaking fuel out of the side roll pin near the inlet for the fuel line. I have two questions, the first one is how can I repair this leak? I tried JB weld with no luck, I believe this was because I still had fuel in the carb, not letting the epoxy fully cure.. The carb is a little over a year old and is out of warranty, I got it from car craft and they will not take it back.

The second issue I'm having is that this has happened before twice on the same carb and car craft is telling me they have never heard of this before that many times.
I am running an electric pump with Holley regulator and gauge reading 2 3/4 psi and equal lenght of line going to each carb.

What makes me think, is that this has only happened to the right side carb, can it be a coincidence and the carbs have been at fault? Or is the fuel gauge at fault?
I greatly appreciate the advice!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Called EMPI, they ship me a new top plate.
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Wow, EMPI is telling me that they will work with me but Car Craft has to send it to them, not me. Car Craft gave up on helping me since it happened twice in less than 2 years and they took care of it. Carbs run great but have been a headache with these fuel leaks.
I am stuck now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Drill it, thread a screw into it, pull it. Measure the hole. Make a plug out of aluminum with a slight taper, same size as hole tapering up to .001 bigger, apply locktite, drive in hole.
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

In fact, I did use JW Weld Steek Stick before, work good.

You need to take the plate out , clean it with acetone. Apply it. Wait at least one day. If it still leak, add another patch.

I prefer rotary , always 3.5 PSI. No need regulator.
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the advice! If I had easy access to a machine shop that will make a new plug for it, I would definitely go that route but I don't have it. They will not do it around here unless you are paying big. I do have the JB weld stick and may go that route this weekend. I defiantly need to remove the top and clean it good before applying the jb weld.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

you don't need a whole machine shop, but aluminum rod near the needed size, a set of number drills, electric drill, and a file, hack saw, dial calipers.
It's fine if you don't want to fix it too, but you post here I assume you want to fix it Wink
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Definitely Glen, I will like to fix it the right way! Can I find the aluminum rod at home depot?
Thanks for the help.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Probably. Advise us of the plug's diameter?
Could possibly also use a tiny scrap of tig welding rod - ask a buddy with weld experience to help ya out here.

dentfreeimage wrote:
Can I find the aluminum rod at home depot?

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Sounds good. I saw a YouTube video the other day and they were brazing a radiator using a harbor freight aluminum rod and a hand torch. It made me wonder if I can remove the float and fill in that area using the same method. It did not took much for the rod to melt. Even tho Glenn's advice is what I will follow, just need to find the rod to make the new plug.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Just drill it and tap it. Shove a Allen head set screw in there with locktite thread sealant. 3.5 minute job.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

Great advice Murzi, by any chance do you recommend a specific size? It will help me knowing what size to look for. Thanks!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

You can use brass too, it doesn't have to be aluminum. Yeah the local hardware store here sells 1/4 aluminum rod, also brass rods.
1/16 pipe plug MIGHT work if the size matches up, but IMo it's more work Razz

I've tried the aluminum brazing a few times and it KINDA works, but, it usually won't work right on any type of cast material.

The set of number drills can be used to gauge the size of the hole.
Take an inch length of material and spin it and file it down. Probably will taper itself even if you didn't intend it. Cut it off at a spot that's the right size and then you have "machined" a plug, and you can drive it in and cut off the excess Wink

I don't know what size it is being a bit less than 1/4", could be wrong, don't take my word for it
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

JB weld will hold up excellent to gas.

I had a pair of Weber 40's a guy sold me for $100 because he broke one of the float holders off. Over a few days I built a new one out of JB weld and then drilled a hole for the hanger rod. Worked great for the 4 years we had the car. Maybe it's still running somewhere! Wish I had a picture of it that was sure an interesting repair.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

I would take the top off and take it to ACE hardware. You usually have to know something to work at ACE unlike the dummys at the big box stores. If you find the right guy he'll be able to sell you a drill, a tap and set screw.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

dentfreeimage wrote:
Great advice Murzi, by any chance do you recommend a specific size? It will help me knowing what size to look for. Thanks!

First thing you should do is take a small drill and drill a hole in the center. Screw a wood screw, drywall screw, or similar in the hole and then pull the plug out with a pliers. After you have a clean hole to look at, bring the carb top to the local hardware store as suggested above and get the drill bit, tap, Allen set screw and lock tite. Should be cake!!
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

What is a good gasoline resistant sealer ,is locktite resistant to gasoline??same plug is leaking on my hpmxxxx🤯xxxx
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

I have fixed many, this is a common problem I've been
seeing with these carbs, easy fix is to tap and use an allen
head grub screw with red locktite.
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

I think it’s the ethanol in the gas and Empi is using snot to seal the plug. 💩
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Empi HPMX Roll Pin Fuel Leak?? Reply with quote

many times you can just tap the plug a few thou deeper. most all of them leek/seep some.I always epoxy the ones on the circuits, not just for fuel leeching out but sucking air in and changing the mixture. we were doing this 30+ years ago with american carbs... if you tap them bee skeerful dong it. also I would never use a aluminum thread in plug in a aluminum peice.use brass .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: