Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild advice
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

Bought a 72 westy earlier this year and already messed up the engine. Assuming a valve seat is the culprit at this point. It has a 2.0 GD engine with a progressive weber. I'd like to keep the existing block intact, buy dual webers and rebuild everything else but not sure on its condition. I've never been in another running bus so not sure what a good or poor running bus feels like. I'm also limited on tools and time. I'm on a budget, but am willing to spend what it takes to do it right. Anyone know if the AMC has improved their heads? Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

I am hoping that you took the tin off and that it did not come out of the engine with no tin on it. You indicate you are both on a budget and also will spend what it takes to make it work. You also indicate you are limited in tools so that may be another expense, I don't know. Depending what is wrong that build can cost from $3000 to $6500 if you make no mistakes. You'll have 150 hours in it when you are done if you do it right unless the stars align and then it might be 30 hours. That doesn't include tuning. It will include learning and finding no longer available parts.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

Tell us more about what happened to your engine. Did it just randomly start to make a lot of noise? Did it lock up and skid the tires going down the road? Did it just not crank over one day?

Your repairs and of course your cost depend on what is actually wrong with your engine.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

Started tapping real loud getting off the freeway and had it towed home. Removed the heads and #1 isn't looking so good. Shrapnel on the piston and head. Is that what's left of the valve seat? I removed the tin. No heater boxes or thermostat.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

Looks like a serious valve recession issue on both heads. They may well not be worth rebuilding. If you are close to an experienced Type 4 head rebuilder you could take them in and let them have a peek but you might be better off to spend the money and go for new heads. I have heard the hardware on the AMC heads is better these days and don't need upgrading right out of the box, maybe others will comment.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

I will be watching this thread. I foresee this in my near future, and I'm trying to decide if I take my engine apart and rebuild before or after it blows up like this. >.<
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Looks like a serious valve recession issue on both heads. They may well not be worth rebuilding. If you are close to an experienced Type 4 head rebuilder you could take them in and let them have a peek but you might be better off to spend the money and go for new heads. I have heard the hardware on the AMC heads is better these days and don't need upgrading right out of the box, maybe others will comment.

My understanding is the AMC heads out of the box are not any different than a few years back. I'd highly recommend upgrading the internals of new AMC heads. Spend a bit now....or spend a lot later.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

Len Hoffman at Hoffman Automotive Machine in GA. About $1500 for a set of heads. He does heads for the camper special - awesome work. That and new pistons and cylinders is the only way to go.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

This is true, the newer AMC heads to have better hardware now.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Not from what I've seen and continue to hear.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
kooper271 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Not from what I've seen and continue to hear.

I've seen and heard that they do.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

From what I understand, AMC provides the castings. I've been told that Whatever wholesaler sells the actual heads installs the springs, keepers, and valves. I know that Len buys AMC castings by the pallet. His heads are very well priced for the quality. His economically priced heads are the best bang for the buck.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
From what I understand, AMC provides the castings. I've been told that Whatever wholesaler sells the actual heads installs the springs, keepers, and valves. I know that Len buys AMC castings by the pallet. His heads are very well priced for the quality. His economically priced heads are the best bang for the buck.

As I figured....Buyer beware. IOW...Purchase from Len or Adrian and install new upgraded hardware. Avoid anyone else.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
From what I understand, AMC provides the castings. I've been told that Whatever wholesaler sells the actual heads installs the springs, keepers, and valves.

This is not true. When I bought mine, from Gowestyautoparts (RIP), they were sealed and packaged in AMC boxes with everything ready to go, all I had to do was install the step studs for the rockers and exhaust.

I had called Len and he told me a number of years ago he gets them the same way and removes the components to make them HAM sold heads.

I have 4 years and 6k+ miles on my off the shelf AMC heads, certainly not the same mileage to test the QC of the components, but have had no issues thus far.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
SGKent wrote:
From what I understand, AMC provides the castings. I've been told that Whatever wholesaler sells the actual heads installs the springs, keepers, and valves.

This is not true. When I bought mine, from Gowestyautoparts (RIP), they were sealed and packaged in AMC boxes with everything ready to go, all I had to do was install the step studs for the rockers and exhaust.

I had called Len and he told me a number of years ago he gets them the same way and removes the components to make them HAM sold heads.

I have 4 years and 6k+ miles on my off the shelf AMC heads, certainly not the same mileage to test the QC of the components, but have had no issues thus far.

Actually I spoke with Len about 60 days ago and he told me he gets only the castings. He replaces the guides and seats with better ones, cleans up the flashing and ports a little then adds valves and springs. In my case I had some nos Porsche springs and keepers that he chose from. I also had him do a couple extra things for me that are good for 400 - 500 RPM on a mostly stock engine.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

Keep in mind that a type 4 engine makes all of its power from the heads and the camshaft, so invest your money there.

Tell Len that you intend to use dual carbs and he will set you up with larger intakes.

Buy the lifters from the camshaft guys as they need to be the same hardness..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

I have a stock FI setup and have about 5,000 miles on the "out of the box" AMC heads that were paired with new Mahle kits since July 22nd. I have experienced great power and great gas mileage.

If you dont want to wait for the next run and are interested in going stock hydr FI, I would let my HAM pair go for what I paid plus shipping. They are still in the bubble wrap. Otherwise I'm saving them for my future rainy day.

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Actually I spoke with Len about 60 days ago and he told me he gets only the castings.

This doesn't answer the question of whether or not the hardware AMC supplies has improved or not. Crying or Very sad
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out just what the hell that thing swallowed Confused It almost looks like a section of valve seat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild advice Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out just what the hell that thing swallowed Confused It almost looks like a section of valve seat.

That was my guess as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: