Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Garage Find" 1966 Convertible
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: "Garage Find" 1966 Convertible Reply with quote

Well...I have taken the plunge and purchased a 1966 convertible that I found in Georgia. It has been sitting for over 20 years in a person's garage and was recently taken in for a tune up. But they realized that it was going to be a lot of work to get it fixed. So I am the new owner.

The VIN is 1563487xx which shows as a November 1965 build. The frame numbers and tag behind the spare tire match. The one interesting thing is that the engine is marked H0096529, which is a 1500. The owner claims that it is the original engine which adds to the mystery. The 1500 material that I have seen indicates that the 1500 was not until later in 1966. However the date code on the 1500 seems to match the build date. It may be a blown engine replacement and the date codes are just coincidence.

I have sent off for a "Birth Certificate" from the Musuem to clarify. So I will know the answer soon. So, here we go. I look forward to your advice -- I will need a LOT of it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Garage Find" 1966 Convertible Reply with quote

Good find. Needs some stuff, like rear tin, heater hoses, and some TLC; engine might be 1500 from same year VW bus, 1966 models had F engines of 1300cc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Garage Find" 1966 Convertible Reply with quote

nice!!!!

please read link on bottom of my post regarding engine fires and safety wires. and please remove thaat fuel filter from engine bay a leaky filter will spill right on the dizzie, spark spark, kaboom! the filter is aftermarket, you should place it under the car near the transmission, no ignition source down there, much safer.

remeber to safety wire the pump and carb fittings imediatly. nearly lost a new to me vw that had failed fittings, one cuaght fire, one other car I bough had fitting fall out duringhose replacement and anothe rfell out on my nieghbors car. big risk that needs attention. the fittings failure rate increases wkth age, dont risk it, safety wire them per the below llinl

congragulations!!! !!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: