Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me...
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me... Reply with quote

Just bought this for a steal of a deal and while I thought it was complete I had two additional tools that aren't shown on the placard, Google is a hard search for these but I did manage to find one similar but it had another plastic tray on the lid along with tire tools.. which started me thinking in the first place as I have the hubcap puller and another socket not shown on placard....

any info appreciated as I've noticed two different versions of these kits..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me... Reply with quote

it appears there is another plastic mold that goes into the lid and houses the tire kit.. this would explain the hubcap puller and socket extra tools I have... however it's undetermined if the plastic mold would come with these tools or was empty and you were to fill it with the tool room tire kit your car came with...
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me... Reply with quote

Check this ad out. It may help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322304315541

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me... Reply with quote

thanks... I hit him up to see if he'd be willing to part with just the empty tray... guess I missed that in my search... he's missing the test kit and one wrench but the box is in a little better shape...

EDIT: iirc I think I saw a sticky where live ebay ads are no longer permitted though... not sure if it was here I'd have to look
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me... Reply with quote

I've recently been putting together one of these square kits for my 1970 Beetle. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the dealer charge was for the kit when it was a new accessory in the catalog?
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me... Reply with quote

markj60616 wrote:
I've recently been putting together one of these square kits for my 1970 Beetle. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the dealer charge was for the kit when it was a new accessory in the catalog?

I can't recall seeing a price for the square tool kit but it could be in one of the price lists in the gallery if you start digging
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=price+list

There is the accessories literature section on the site too but there are very few price lists there and I didn't see it with a quick check of the 1970s ones
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/accessories.php
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me... Reply with quote

Thanks, Everett, for the tip. Although I regularly enjoy digging through the archives I didn't think of searching the galleries. I did find a price for the earlier hubcap version of the toolkit from 1964. The price was $26.50 in 1964:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=782044

In today's dollars I suppose that would be around $205.00.

The 1970 box style kit was probably similarly priced.
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Square Hazet tool box.. Educate me... Reply with quote

I have an old Canadian Parts list from around 1968 and it says the tool kit is $30.

I don't know which kit they mean but yes, I would guess even if it's the round tool kit, the prices may have been similar.

I'm not sure what the Canadian dollar to US dollar conversion would have been in that time frame though.
I found one chart that said, in 1968, $1CDN = US$0.92810 so they were probably very similar at the time.
$30 CDN would US$27.84 at that exchange rate
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: