Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California National Guard Bonus Scandle
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Just heard of this yesterday. But I heard a yellow bird tell me about 6 years ago that something was afoul here when some JAG's were put on active orders out at March Air Reserve Base. I spent 20+ years in the CARNG. I'm so glad I'm out. Proud off what I did and of the uniform I wore. But this is inexcusable.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-national-guard-bonus-20161020-snap-story.html

In the event any of my fellow troops get wrapped up in something like this read up on this.

http://www.texvet.com/blogs/pjefferies/understanding-your-rights-when-army-cid-comes-knocking

Bill. NCO's lead the way

Last edited by rockerarm on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

I'm curious if I'll get something in the mail. I was in from 2002-2006 and spent Jan 2003 - Sept 2004 in Iraq. I'm a combat vet and got a bonus. If they want it back they can take out of my benifits when I'm dead. They can go fuck themselves. And good luck garnishing my check. I get the maximum amout by law taken out for child support so nothing else can garnish my check. And I know this for a fact as others have tried and been denied.

Edit: never mind, this looks like it is only for people who served in the Guard.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Truth is veterans have been getting shitty end of the stick for a long time. Study history go bak to 1932, look at the bonus march. Vets went to Washington and got shot for their troubles. Broken promises, public professes to care but do they?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Truth is veterans have been getting shitty end of the stick for a long time. Broken promises, public professes to care but do they?

x2
The public AND politicians say they care, but show they don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Update. Current Sec of Defense, Ash Carter ordering the Pentagon to temporarily suspend the collection of money from Calif Guard troops.
Thank you, sir.

http://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Rel...ovDelivery
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Congrats Ash. They knew for years but it was ok til the Times article put it out into the public. Then they had to do something. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

While those given the 'illegal' bonuses were being screwed by the govt to pony up, what was happening up the chain of command that authorized the payments?
Let's see if the Times follows up on the real story.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
While those given the 'illegal' bonuses were being screwed by the govt to pony up, what was happening up the chain of command that authorized the payments?

Exactly. Just look up each recruitment center that they signed up at and start handing out punishments from there. Not that hard. Everything has a paper trail.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Of course, Uncle Sam is ungrateful.

Just look back in history how the military has treated many of us.

Back in the day, they said Agent Orange was harmless to humans. People even cooled themselves w/ it.

Sad all the way around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

The chain of command that authorized the payments just followed the book of dirty tricks used by recruiters, promise anything just to get people to enlist, "if it ain't in writing...". I'd would like to see some action taken against those that demanded the repayment.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Even if it is in writing, they don't always honor it.

I took the oath, had it in writing both in my contract and in the selection board as coming in as a CPT. 6 months later, they said "Oh, we made a mistake. You should have come in as a 1LT." My commander let me wear the bars as I appealed it twice. Both denied. The second denial letter addressed me as CPT.

By the time the second appeal was finished and I received notification, I was promoted to CPT. 8 years later, I decided to get out.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Dudes.....its correct to be outraged at this.....just be sure you are outraged at the CORRECT PEOPLE.

This program was NOT administered by the Pentagon. It was FUNDED at the Pentagon level....but National guard, national guard enlistment and national guard re-enlistment.....are fully a STATE function. National guard only comes under "Federal" control when they are pulled in at times of war.

The Pentagon wanted to retain nationap guardsmen that had specialized skills, or had been deployed numerous times with lots of experience.

They cooked up and funded an incentive program for re-enlistment. That program had explicit qualifications (skills list, tours of duty documentation, judicial status if any and peronnel records qualifications).....required to be met by the troops to make sure they were eligible for the payments.

That program of eligibility was fully administered by the state.....not the federal government. There is evidence appearing that at the same time there were quota competitions among recruiting officers with bonuses to be paid for highest recruiting levels....at the recruiting officer level and at levels above them.

Cut to this point in time.....ever since the "sequestration".....which has gutted the military and shredded our maintenance and readniness programs.....and the Pentagon has been for at least,two years now.....on a crash program to cut waste at every level to save money. Its a huge deal.

So someone in the inspector general office starts looking at the reenlistment bonus program and starts to realize that a fair portion of those soldiers given bonuses....did not or do not meet the written qualifications to recieve those bonuses.

The correct thing to do.....is not try to get this money back. If these troops reenlisted and served.....we and the pentagon got our money's worth. However....a major federal investigation at the state and administration level of the program should be opened to catch the people responsible for this. Ray
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

Quote:
That program of eligibility was fully administered by the state.....not the federal government. There is evidence appearing that at the same time there were quota competitions among recruiting officers with bonuses to be paid for highest recruiting levels....at the recruiting officer level and at levels above them.

Reminds me of the Wells Fargo fiasco
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

Reminds me of the Wells Fargo fiasco

Damn if you are not reading my mind! While Ii was typing that response.....I was thinking the same thing......just like Wells Fargo. Graft.......

Ray
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: California National Guard Bonus Scandle Reply with quote

And the V.A. hospital.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: