Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Quote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cool pic, the roof rack on that car on the right looks like a standard "universal" rack I have seen on Bugs and Type 3s in the past too. It adjusted to fit different roofs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Funny you mention the roof rack, it's almost as if the people in the pic spoke to the driver next to him and said "hey, sell me that rack off your car" or perhaps, "Gudrun, we should get one of those racks like those people" because, when I purchased this car, there it was sitting on top of her.. A universal roof rack!

and a test fit on the 66

DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

My winter project was to have a running type 3 engine, sitting on the garage floor. I'm a little late, but mission accomplished! Thanks to all who helped!

https://youtu.be/Iq_JkwimqYI
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Well, I danced the Vermont Shuffle, and scored a title for my 69 SB project. If you are not aware of the procedure, it works like this. Vermont did not have titles for cars in the 60's, and still does not issue them. You can register a 60's car there with just a bill of sale, pay the tax and you can have plates and a registration. Take that registration to your own state DMV and they will recognize you as the rightful owner and should grant you a valid title. It all sounded to good to be true, and it was.. In Vermont they tax you on NADA value of a car, not what you paid for it. The NADA book is a dealer guide, and probably is used to find out how much they can lend/borrow on a car. Anybody want to guess the NADA value on a 69 SB with no engine, sat for 45 years? Yep, you were right. They politely informed me that my car was valued at $12,450 USD and I should submit 6% of that for my $23.00 plates.
Just when you think you've got them, you turn around and zing!! Really, though, now I can move on with the car. The option was to open a case ($300) in local court and plead my case to a judge for a court ordered title. That would take time, driving, and may not even work. At least this way I get a cool set of $770 Vermont plates!
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

770 still not a bad price for a clear title these days.
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Super cool update time!!! I drove my 69 Squareback around the yard, with my daughter and dog along for the ride. I only had e-brake, the clutch is slipping, (fixed!) but it moves under her own power. I'm sure the miss is something I did while installing it, I need to finish the brakes, but I can see meeting my road worthy goal very soon!

https://youtu.be/2HDCBL721W8
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

And the super update goes on. Since I used the fresh engine I had planned for the 66 in the new 69, I'm still in the market for a good type 3 engine or core. Well, A core showed up in Detroit craigslist as an advertised 'frozen from sitting' complete early type 3 engine. (?) I rolled the dice at $300, gave my buddy a benjamin to deliver it, and took delivery of what I found out was a domed piston 1500s from a 64-65 Squareback. Wowzers! Vintage speed!.
Unfortunately, there was a thrown rod in there, which took out a part of the lifter rail and scrapped the block. Boogers. The carbs look good and the external stuff will probably make me even steven on that deal, but I'm still looking for an engine that I can use in my 66. She was greasy mess and it'll be a while before the tools are the same. I'll use the pistons for trophies in my next car show.

DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

The hunt continues for a type 3 engine block, core, rebuildable or whatever. Cali is full of options but I'm in Ohio. Then I see the poorly written, wrong catagory craigslist advert for 4 vw air cooled engines, type 2 and 3, plus some transmissions for$400, ran when removed, get them out of here, must go. I bit, hitched up my trailer, brought a strong buddy and went and bought these 4 engines from Rusty Joes Lawnmower repair. It seems I have 1 of each. 1 type 2, 1 type 3, 1 type 4 and 1 likely piece of scrap due to compromised block corners. 3 of the 4 look like great candidates for rebuild!

The type 3 especially is sweet, the seller promised it was low mileage, still has the torque converter on it to match his automatic claims. The type 2 and type 3 engines, wow, such potential! Are these worth anything to those bus guys? It shouldn't cost too much to make these bench runners! (or not)
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

What ya got there is one type 3 motor,
And three type 4 motors..

Those type 4s are worth something to bus guys.
Cores are supposedly getting hard to find,
Because the aftermarket never made cases for them.
Get them together as runners and some bus people might pay a good bit.

That being said,
Some are into putting a type 4 into a type 3 as an upgrade. Wink

Additionally,
Many who want to drive a type 3 hard for some miles,
Or build for a performance increase,
Will opt to use a new case.
So many cases out there are toast now,
Don’t be too surprised if a Craigslist motor has a bad case.

What’s That Noise?!?
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Clatter. The reason I thought I had a type 2 engine is the code on it is CB, and in my book it shows that as a 72-73 1700 dual carb manual trans type 2 engine, and it does have dual carbs on it. It also has a dipstick hole right of the fan.

Either way I hope these have some value to the right folks. Thankfully the type 3 was in the best shape and will be a perfect fit for my projects.

I suppose I'll tear down the bus motors to verify they are good and put them in the Samba classifieds.
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Here are my two clues its a type 2.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:

Bottom pic is all I needed to see that it's a bus style t-4 engine.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:

The confusion comes in that there is no such thing as a "Type 2" engine.

In the US, up through 1971 the Bus just came with a Type 1 engine (same engine as Beetle).

In the late '60s VW came out with a new car called the Type 4. It had a completely different engine than the Beetle and so it is the Type 4 engine.

In '72 VW started putting the Type 4 engine into the Bus.

So yes it's a Type 4 engine and yes it was originally installed in a Type 2. Got it? Laughing
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Got it!! they sure LOOK the same!!!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Got it!! they sure LOOK the same!!!

Cuz they are the same! There were some minor differences in things like dipstick location, breather, etc. All the Type 4 cars had fuel injection, Buses had dual carbs until '75 then they got FI.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Any chance I could talk you into taking a straight-edge across a couple of door/fender seams?
Like so:

This car is original paint, right?

We're trying to determine if this 'puffiness' is factory or not..

Much thanks..

OG paint is nowhere anymore!

What’s That Noise?!?
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

These are the seam between my door and rear fenders, the front fenders aren't a good reference on this car. I hope they are what you were looking for.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

YES!
Beautiful... Thank you.

You know that car is original paint?

What’s That Noise?!?
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

The door is certainly factory paint. The fender seems a shade darker, I don't know about that.
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Time for an update on my 66 SB project, with a pic.

So, this thread started when I bought my 66 squareback project. I learned a lot and made a lot of progress. I fixed all of the rust in the body, and was saving up for about 2 grand in interior and rubber, (seals, tires) when I bought that red 69 SB and shifted my efforts to a more complete car. The 66 project donated an engine, and now the driving 69 is detailed in another thread, and is road legal and has (barely) been to a VW show.

The 66 is sitting waiting her turn. Meanwhile I found this with the 66 documents.

If you would humor me with some automotive archeology, would you surmise from the evidence provided that my white 1966 VW Squareback was a drug delivery car (to the stars!) from acquisition until feb of 1989 +?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: