Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear hub nut...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnizzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now what?!?
I've sprayed the crap out of the hub nut with liquid wrench already, I'm running out of idea on how to loosen the nut.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

The best tool to use for that nut is one of the torque multiplying tools; "torquemeister", "torque buddy", etc.

They apply force at about a 9:1 ratio, and make this an easy job.

Beating the nut with a hammer, or beating the "special wrench" with a hammer is also beating the wheel bearings; not a good approach.

Also consider that at some point, you will have to put the nut back on, and to a specified torque.
The torque multiplying tool makes this an easy, one handed job with a common torque wrench, and it is also a very useful tool for the flywheel gland bolt (if that job is in your future).

Good luck, Mondshine

Last edited by mondshine on Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Although you did not say, I presume you have removed all of the cotter pin?

I would try an impact gun next.

Other than that, I recommend using a chisel and hammer (or cut off wheel) and carefully cut the nut off...without damaging the axle threads.

A new axle nut is cheap enough...

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Never bring a knife to a gun fight. There's ~225lbs of torque on those assuming the person who put them on used a torque wrench.

Choose your weapon:

Torquemeister is best but the impact tool is OK as well as an impact gun as long as it's hefty

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

You need a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar, a 3/4 inch drive socket that is 1 and 7/16 inch (which is 36 mm), and a four foot long cheater pipe. These can be purchased at Sears (for the best results). Not cheap, but neither is breaking more and more 1/2 inch breaker bars that have shown to be inadequate.

You can also buy a TorqueMeister knock-off that will do the job.

Or, you can continue to do the same thing over and over, and hope for a different result.

There is also a cheap tool that most VW vendors sell. You hit it with a hammer until the nut loosens. I've heard that they work, but I don't like pounding around my axel.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

I would invest in a torquemeister. I wouldn't cut it off unless you have someway to get the new nut back on with the proper torque. Those rear drums will fly off if not correctly tightened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdnizzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the responses.

It was sadly a 1/2" drive breaker bar that bit the dust.

Stupid question time: The drive side hub nut comes off counter clockwise, correct? ( I tried both directions to get any kind of movement, it was actually going the wrong way that got the passenger side to break free.)

Yes, the complete split pin is out.

TorqueMeister - knock offs would be a torque multiplier, yes? Is the Harbour Fright version worth the buy? (it seems those come for the purpose of removing semi lug nuts, do they support the 36mm socket?

Thanks,
JD
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

The socket is not the problem. It's the too-small 1/2 inch drive that breaks. Yes, a TorqueMeister knock-off is a torque multiplier. As mentioned, they are also great for torquing the nut back on. 28 lbs. at the ratchet gives you 252 lbs. at the nut.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

jdnizzle wrote:
It was sadly a 1/2" drive breaker bar that bit the dust.

Stupid question time: The drive side hub nut comes off counter clockwise, correct? ( I tried both directions to get any kind of movement, it was actually going the wrong way that got the passenger side to break free.)

Counterclockwise to loosen (right-hand threads).

Last week I couldn't get off one of my rear axle nuts with my electric impact wrench, tried PB Blaster overnight. So I used my Craftsman 1/2-inch breaker bar and jack handle for leverage and 36mm socket to loosen it; that worked.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gimpy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Why in the hell do you people use a "cheater" on your tools. Buy the right tool for the job.

I was schooled in '62-'63 in auto mechanic shop on this when I twisted off a head stud in a jeep motor, got caught, got a D that semester. Lesson learned.

I have used some jerked off methods on off road cars in the desert, don't justify doin' the shit in your shop
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Painfully obvious that yer in way over yer head here: using a cheap-ass chink 1/2" breaker bar on a 216 ft-lb-torqued axle nut=complete rookie F-up.

Buy a 3/4" breaker bar/socket or else take it to the nearest competent VW wrench, mate.

jdnizzle wrote:
Now what?!? I've sprayed the crap out of the hub nut with liquid wrench already, I'm running out of idea on how to loosen the nut.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.

Last edited by FeelthySanchez on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

jdnizzle wrote:
Rear hub nut...

If you call it rear axle nut then folks here will know what you mean, and the Search Tool works better.

gimpy60 wrote:
Why in the hell do you people use a "cheater" on your tools. Buy the right tool for the job.

I have used some jerked off methods on off road cars in the desert, don't justify doin' the shit in your shop

Sure, I'd like to have a 50-gallon air compressor and powerful pneumatic tools myself. I'd like to have a hydraulic lift too. I'd like a helper too. I'd like more room so I could avoid working in the Arizona sun more often (predicted high 98F tomorrow, Oct. 27).

Some of us were low on funds or space back in the 1970s. I'm not strong enough or heavy enough to get 220 ft. pounds of torque using my simple 1/2 inch breaker bar; maybe an extra-long 1/2 inch breaker bar would work for me. Since I have 1/2-inch electric impact wrench that has always worked before for me, if I bought a 3/4-inch breaker bar and 3/4-inch drive 36mm socket or even a genuine Torque-Meister, it would easily get used less than once every few years; and I'd have to store it, and remember where.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cheater+bar&bi...=1#imgrc=_
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

jdnizzle wrote:

A lot of times when a nut like that is been on for a while it helps to go to the tight side to get movement and then loosen it up and yes it is rightie tightie, leftie looseie on both sides.
What I use is a 3/4 impact to remove the nuts and yes you want to save the cotters but with a gun this size and a 1" air hose to run it you really don't have to take them out to get that nut off(my son proved that point when he did his brakes on his 74) to tighten it up I have a 3/4 torque wrench with a 5' handle... when it goes click I take it to the next hole for the cotter and it's done. (yes the torque wrench is calibrated once a year which is more than it gets used now a days) If you have a truck shop or diesel repair shop near by go talk to them as most are willing to do a 5 minute job like that as an after hours thing if you can bring you car into them.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

that sucker needs to be tight.I dont like using a impact wrench due to the ring gear&pinion taking the wacking unless you have the axle out and the break on. Ive broken a few breaker bars on that and the gland nut.crapsman ones just doint seem to be up to it. but ...after breaking the crapsmans one I pulled out the trusty harber of fright one....that I got on sale for .99 cents( I bought 6 of them at the price) and Ive used it for years now with no issues at all and gave away 3 of the others. go figure.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

To bad your not in CA. I have a 1" impact and sockets on my service truck. Makes short work of these tasks.
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

birddog1 wrote:
I would invest in a torquemeister. I wouldn't cut it off unless you have someway to get the new nut back on with the proper torque. Those rear drums will fly off if not correctly tightened.

^^ what he said^^.
I have the 1/2" HF breaker bar, which is actually much better than the Craftsman, I have the air compressor and a 3/4 drive impact, hell, I even have the old slug wrench that you hit with a hammer.

I still reach for the Torque Buddy every single time.
(Also works on the flywheel gland nut)

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Beauboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Yo Dizzle -

I had the exact same thing about 10 years ago on my '69. Went through two 1/2" breaker bars, both with a 4 ft. cheater. Finally took it to a shop where they used a 500lb impact wrench and got it right off. I immediately went out and bought myself one.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
yes you want to save the cotters

I would only use new cotter pins. They are even available individually, like in drawers at Ace Hardware.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Why in hell do we use a "cheater"? Why not, if that what it takes?

VW owners have been using a cheater pipe on that rear axle nut for decades. It's not a new concept. I use a cheater pipe on my 3/4 inch breaker. It simply makes it easier to get the rear nut off, so why knock myself out? No muss or fuss. A little twist and the nut is free.

Car mechanics may have thousands to spend over a lifetime in the business, but most VW enthusiasts aren't willing to spend huge amounts for a collection of tools that get a fraction of the use a mechanic will perform over a lifetime.

I also have a TorqueMeister knock off, but only use it to torque my flywheel and axle nuts. But before I bought it, I relied on the 3/4 inch breaker bar--and a cheater pipe.

A pipe makes a good weapon in a pinch, too Cool .

I'm not proud.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hub nut... Reply with quote

Some cheapo's around here. When you factor how much you would pay for a shop to do the brakes, a Torquemeister pays for itself on one brake job,actually one drum. It's one tool well worth buying.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: