Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '60 Kombi
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought this bus off a fellow Samba member back in September and had it shipped home. It took 24 days to get here! It arrived dirty but unharmed.

Here's a few things I've done to it so far:

Cleaned and repainted the headlight assemblies...

Repaired the wiring under the dash - I'm not a fan of the crimped on push-on connectors so I replaced them all and soldered new ones on and added heat shrink. I had to run new wires to the parking lights.

Cleaned and rebuilt the EMPI 34 PICT 3 carb. I replaced the mixture screw with one out of an old Solex and it now runs pretty darn good.

I took it for it's first drive a few days ago and boy was the engine loud... then I discovered the bumper was sitting on the tail pipe of the Vintage Speed exhaust. I removed the bumper and that seemed to quiet this down. I may have to modify those new bumper brackets I got from CIP to raise the bumper a bit...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

You're making progress...... keep the updates coming, and especially the PICTURES!!!
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

It's looking great!!! Any interior pics?
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Interior...

I had a couple of hours to work on the bus today...

- adjusted the link pins. Greased link pins, king pins and beam.
- cleaned and repacked front wheel bearings. I was pleased to find the later style clamp nut rather than the annoying two lock nut set-up.
- inspected and adjusted front brakes.
- removed all the locking handles to get the key code. They all matched! I ordered two keys from gabvwkey.com.
- I'm gonna get a lot of people asking WHY for this one... I removed the steering dampener. I run all my VWs without them. I like the feel of the steering better without them. I also find the new ones sold are way too stiff.
- whacked my head several times getting into the bus... still getting used to it being so low.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Great looking bus!
There is always something to do to keep a bus safe and running.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
Great looking bus!
There is always something to do to keep a bus safe and running.

Thanks. Whenever I buy a "new to me" vehicle I always go over it to make sure everything is okay... piece of mind thing.

Today, I fiddled with the rear bumper so it now clears the exhaust.

When I first went to look at the bus it had a Berg shifter in it. I don't care for them so I told the previous owner he can keep it if he can find me a stock shifter. He only had a few days before the bus was to be picked up by the shipper. He found one but it was for a '66-67 bus. It shifted fine but there was no lockout for reverse. This was probably a blessing in disguise as I nightmares about the shippers trying to find reverse and screwing up the transmission while transferring the bus from truck to truck. It looks like I can just shorten the shifter by cutting a bit out between the ball and that ring and welding it back together. Tomorrow's project...

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Here's the '66-67 shifter modified to fit my '60 bus...

It was a pain to make sure I had it properly aligned before welding it back together... it's not perfect but real darn close. It works and I now have the lock out for reverse.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

I got me key from GABVWKEY.com and at first it didn't even fit into the key slots. I removed the drivers door handle from the bus and soaked it some WD40. After some gentle taps with a plastic hammer I got the key go in. After some more soaking and wiggling I got it to turn. I repeated the process with the cargo door and rear hatch handles they now work as well. I wish I could disassemble them and clean them as I know there's still crud in them as they still feel scratchy when turning the key.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

They come apart and the cylinders can be removed for cleaning and lubing, is there a reason you can't do that?

One thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=313084
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
...the cylinders can be removed for cleaning and lubing...

Make sure the key is inserted before pulling out the cylinder or you run the risk of the wafers and springs flying out, fwiw.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
They come apart and the cylinders can be removed for cleaning and lubing, is there a reason you can't do that?

One thread

For the cargo door and rear hatch handles there's a small set screw that holds the cylinder in place. They are peened and I can't get them to move. I used a small dermal bit to grind down where it's peened but I still can't get the set screw to move. I haven't tried to remove the drivers door handle cylinder yet.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
EverettB wrote:

One thread

For the cargo door and rear hatch handles there's a small set screw that holds the cylinder in place. They are peened and I can't get them to move. I used a small dermal bit to grind down where it's peened but I still can't get the set screw to move. I haven't tried to remove the drivers door handle cylinder yet. [/list]
If the set screw is stuck you can use some heat to loosen it up; not too much to ruin the springs; last thing you want to do is break that screw.
Make sure you remove the lock cylinder FIRST before driving out the lock pin for the driver's side handle.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

I got the set screw out of the cargo door handle using heat. The rear hatch handle set screw is not moving and the head is getting pretty messed up... time to get the drill!

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
I got the set screw out of the cargo door handle using heat. The rear hatch handle set screw is not moving and the head is getting pretty messed up... time to get the drill!
Sometime you have to heat several times. I would keep trying and not mess the screw up.

Drilling and tapping that cylinder set screw sounds like a nightmare.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

I heated it several times and then some.... since the lock does work, just not as smoothly as the otheres, I think I'll just leave it.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Small update...

I sand blasted the turn signal housings and VW emblem. I painted the emblem white and the turn signal housings just got primered.

The bus is crammed in my garage along with my '74 bus and '56 Beetle and probably won't see the light of day until next April.

Next up is to rebuild the engine...

JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

I would get every ounce out of that engine, till she lays down.....she runs awfull good. Meanwhile build you a new stroker !!! Keep the updates coming, don't get bogged down, lol.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Not much to update really -

Installed some CE Safari Windows...

Not sure if they will stay or not. I find the window slides make the interior too busy and can get in the way.

Replaced the homemade grey panels with homemade birch panels and replaced the face of the Z-bed with birch - no more speakers...

I've been gathering parts to put it back to stock height. For the front, the original beam came with it but the bump stops were cut off and some torsion leaves were missing - poor man's way of lowering. I got a good used set of torsion leaves and got a good lead on the bump stops. For the rear I picked up some spring plates, reduction boxes, axle tubes and axles... new bearings and some assembly will be required. I've been driving it more than I work on which is good!

junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Love the bus! Glad you are enjoying using it..I hope to be there someday soon too.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

The wood interior panels are a huge improvement.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: