Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '60 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Looking good! Love the birch panels and z-bed, that's what I want to do with my 67
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to return the bus to stock height. I got the original beam with the bus but there were torsion leaves missing and the bump stops cut off - poor man's way of lowering. Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought a complete set of torsion leaves and bump stops from the Samba classifieds. The leaves are in, bump stops are welded on and the beam is painted - it's ready to install.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joefriday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Lots of good improvements on this bus. Nice job on the beam. Look forward to the finished product!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Going back to stock height is probably not going to happen until over the winter. I'm still gathering up parts. I removed the Wagenswest's beam in hoping to at least get the stock beam in while still running with the existing flipped spindles assemblies. I went to put the spindle assemblies on the stock beam and discovered they are from a '64-'67 beam and don't fit. Link pins are bigger. Out came the stock beam and back in went the Wagenswest's beam.

I pulled the tired 1600 engine out and replaced it with a 1600 I rebuilt over last winter. I now have a bus I trust to take an longer road trips. I also got the heat all hooked up which was a bit tricky with the Vintage speed exhaust. I was quite surprised at how much heat comes out of the front vents.

I made some new front door panels. I cut them out of 1/8" birch plywood and pained them to match the roof and kick panels...

I'm going to sand blast the stock rims and repaint them before I put the proper size tires on them. In the meantime the bus is sporting some Radar rims that I use to have on my '65 Beetle. It makes the bus look like a $.97 Hot Wheels car from Walmart... Laughing Gotta take a few steps backwards before moving forward...

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Nice work! Those interior panels look great, the front beam too!
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

That front beam looks great all cleaned up and painted. Shocked

1961 Standard
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Well, driving season is done here. No snow yet - just road salt because of the below freezing temperatures. I put just over 1100 trouble free miles on it since May. Over the winter I plan on returning it to stock height. For the front the original beam is ready to go but for the rear I need to get the replacement transmission rebuilt. It's a AO transmission with a 3.875 final drive. I've got two sets of reduction boxes to make one good set from.

Also on the "to-do" list is:

- Remove gas tank to seal the inside
- Paint bumpers
- Remove front and rear safari windows - going back to stock windows!
- Weld in cargo rocker

Lets see what I get accomplished...

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

I made a homemade knuckle pin extractor tool to dis-assemble my front spindles. The seals were hard as a rock and falling apart. It took me 4 hours to make the tool. It's made from a pitman arm puller tool and scraps of metal I had hanging around the garage. Now I got to figure out a way to press them back together so the link pins are perfectly parallel with each other.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Some progress...

Got the brake backing plates sandblasted and painted...

Got the spindles painted and reassembled with new rubber seals...

Made a press to press the king pins back together...

Passenger side spindle went together correctly first try... took me five tries for the driver's side - the link pin holes wouldn't stay lined up while pressing it together.

The narrowed Wagenswest beam is out and the original beam is back in...

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Tool making can be fun and a challenge. You are doing a great job!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Brokenshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Yay! Very nice to see the photos! I appreciate the stock beams over anything else. It is a lot of work restoring back to original specs after others have changed things up over the years. Very nice press, by the way!
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Today I got the spindles, backing plates and brake cylinders installed.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

This weekend I installed the brake shoes and drums. Greased the link & king pins, center pin and beam. Wheels are on and it's back on the ground. It sits 3 1/2" higher. It looks so much better now that the wheels aren't tucked way inside the wheel wells. While installing the brake shoes I discovered the lining is coming off one of the old shoes so I ordered a new set. Also ordered all new Wolfsburg West oil shocks.

Next... pull the engine & transmission. The gas tank needs sealing so out it will come too...

JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

My ol bus is looking good, sure do miss her. See ya in a few weeks, when we make our voyage to Spring Bulli/no dough...
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

bus looks way better..i just did the same thing on my 60 mango,,some one pulled the pins back in the day.. Rolling Eyes
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
My ol bus is looking good, sure do miss her. See ya in a few weeks, when we make our voyage to Spring Bulli/no dough...

Maybe I'll drive it to the show next year... or the year after... Gotta get it painted first!

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Finally some progress. The AO code transmission that I was getting rebuilt ended up very worn and not practical to rebuild. I ended up finding a '66-'67 bus transmission. Went to install the axles and discovered the side gear side to side clearance was out of spec. I ordered some thicker thrust washers from Weddle and now all is good. While assembling the RGBs I found a few of the bearings were loose in the housings. I used Loctite 680 Bearing Retainer on all the bearings. The transmission is all assembled minus the brakes...

...and is installed in the bus. Hope to at least have it back on the ground and rolling in the next week so I can push it out of the garage to get my '74 bus and '56 Beetle out of winter storage.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Finally done...

Had a bit of a setback. I was in a car accident on May 8th. I was t-boned while driving in my '79 panel. My head bounced off the top of the door frame giving me a concussion and whiplash. Messed up my back a bit too. It's nice to have a quiet transmission where I can hear the engine while shifting through the gears. I can hear the reduction boxes when coasting in neutral. Big improvement in the steering over the narrowed beam. Much quicker and better turning radius. Still gotta get some proper size tires. Not sure if the rear is too high. I wasn't expecting that much negative camber.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Got the bumpers painted and back on...

Now, if I could only find some stock size tires...

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: '60 Kombi Reply with quote

Not sure exactly was this black stuff is but I want it gone. I'm using a propane torch to soften it up and a plastic scraper to remove most of it. I then wipe off the residue with minerial spirits.

4 hours later...

It's all over the interior walls as well but the stuff on the floor is pretty thick in some areas. I'm thinking I've got several hours of heating/scraping ahead of me...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: