Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Looking to get new tires and do a 2.5 spindle drop. Currently have 205/60/15 with stock beam. I did the drop spindles once before but rubbed on corners and when braking with just me in the car.
So I ask those in the know: do you think any of these sizes 155/60/15 or 175/55/15 will work without rubbing?
Plus I'm not looking to shorten the beam.
Here's a picture of current set up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

I had the same issue with 185/65-15's on the front of mine. You might get away with the 175's and will have an even better chance with the 155's, but no guarantee with either. As your wheel wheels will have a big impact on if either will work. With it lowered, does it look like the wheel will clear?
Projectp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

I have 2.5 spindles with 155/60s and do not rub at all.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm guys try gonna try the 155's.
Just found this site: https://tiresize.com gives a pretty go look at tire sizes.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

You might be fine if you used wheels w/o those adapters, those have to push the wheel out some. You either have a narrowed beam or some wheels with favorable offset, cause those wheels look to come out to where my 5.5" wide wheels do on my stock beam.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

You're right about the adaptors. Forgot to mention them first. Hoping the 155 might be enough to slip in.
The 205/60 was just a little to wide.
I would like to find some used tires if possible just to test it out. But gonna do 155 for sure, and pray for the best.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Do NOT forget the the dropped spindles WILL push the wheels further out. I have a set on the VW woodie that were supposedly 0 offset. With 155/80s I ended up using stock wheels from maybe a type 3 that had a greater offset (almost 1/2" more than the original wheels) to tuck the wheels in as far as I could get and I still am not happy with the look.

So - you have several variables. The wheel offset, the offset of the spindles you buy and your tire size. If I drop a car a little and want to retain stock size tires and wheels, I use and adjust able beam. With wider that 4.5" wheels, I go with a 2 or 3" narrowed adjustable beam.

Good luck.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Yes. I'm aware that the tires will pop out more. I did put the spindles on once before, and it didn't rub to bad. That's why I'm hoping the 155's will fit under the fender better.
According to the tire calculator, it'll be narrower than what I have now.
The 1 is the 205/60/15; the 2 is 155/60/15
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Yes, a 205/-15 tire is narrower than a 155/60-15 tire by exactly 50mm at the tread. And you are only losing 1 inch of width at EACH edge, not from the outside only.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Maybe fix the bent wheel while you have it off.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Yes, I work on the dent for sure.
But got the tires yesterday, hope to mount them next week.
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Yes, a 205/-15 tire is narrower than a 155/60-15 tire by exactly 50mm at the tread. And you are only losing 1 inch of width at EACH edge, not from the outside only.

205 is the width of the tire, so the 205 is wider than a 155 tire. So, on the 155/60-15, 155 is the width in mm, the 60 is the aspect ratio for the heighth or sidewall and the 15 is the diameter. This is a cool sight that's very helpful for comparing two different size tires to see what might work for your application. Hope this helps. Wink http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp By the way, I really like the color on your car......very cool! Cool Cool
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

You can get rotors and drums with a Porsche lug pattern. That would eliminate the adapters, and get you 1/2-3/4" per side back. It would also get the tire "scrub" back close to stock and lessen bump steer.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Well I got the tires mounted. Now to take the front apart. Maybe after thanksgivings.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

candyflame73 wrote:
ps2375 wrote:

205 is the width of the tire, so the 205 is wider than a 155 tire. So, on the 155/60-15, 155 is the width in mm, the 60 is the aspect ratio for the heighth or sidewall and the 15 is the diameter. This is a cool sight that's very helpful for comparing two different size tires to see what might work for your application. Hope this helps. Wink http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp By the way, I really like the color on your car......very cool! Cool Cool

Sorry, I put those tir widths in there backwards. Thinking faster than I can type.

Thanks, color is a GM Sierra Blue.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

After measuring my wheels for backspacing, I'm thinking I might be able to get them to clear with a different backspacing. Current wheels have a 3 5/8" backspacing, there are some alloys available with over 4" of backspacing and the same 5.5" width.

Not sure where your backspacing sits with those wheels and adapters.

Last edited by ps2375 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Finally finished it up. Came nice. I may have been able to run the 175/55/15 tires and been ok. I went small just to be safe.
No rubbing and handles good.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Interesting, when I put my drop spindles on, it put the fender lip within 2" of the tire. I guess the over 2" reduction in tire height allowed that extra clearance you appear to have. This is good info to have seen.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

I was a little worried that it may not work but it came out good. Wish I didn't have the gap but I'm cool with it.
Final specs are:

155/60/15 tires
Stock beam
2.5 dropped spindles
5.5 rims with adaptors

johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 dropped spindles with stock beam. Guidance Please Reply with quote

Just FYI, those rims are 6.0 inches wide (6jx15 Cookie Cutters ET36). Nice looking car!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: