Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iskenderian Racing Cams for 40hp (34PS) Vintage Speed Okrasa
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Iskenderian Racing Cams for 40hp (34PS) Vintage Speed Okrasa Reply with quote

I've managed to get my hands on a couple Iskenderian (ISKY) cams and am considering using one for a 40HP vintage speed Okrasa build. I have an German old tuning book 'Jetzt mache ich ihn schneller" from 1965 that mentions Iskenderian cams so they definitely seem to be period correct.

How does one determine what compression ratio to use with a camshaft?

Here are the specs:
Grind 221 "Torquer"
Lift at the cam 0.330"
Timing events at 0.017" lifter rise:
Intake Opens (BTDC) 23 degrees
Intake Closes (ABDC) 57 degrees
Exhaust Opens (BBDC) 57 degrees
Exhaust Closes (ATDC) 23 degrees
Timing events at 0.050" lifter rise:
Intake Opens (BTDC) 4 degrees
Intake Closes (ABDC) 38 degrees
Exhaust Opens (BBDC) 38 degrees
Exhaust Closes (ATDC) 4 degrees
It comes out to 260 degrees of advertised duration and 222 of duration at 0.050 cam lift.

Grind 234-MAX "Broad Mid-Range"
Lift at the cam 0.374"
Timing events at 0.012" lifter rise (different from above):
Intake Opens (BTDC) 33 degrees
Intake Closes (ABDC) 67 degrees
Exhaust Opens (BBDC) 67 degrees
Exhaust Closes (ATDC) 33 degrees
Timing events at 0.050" lifter rise:
Intake Opens (BTDC) 10 degrees
Intake Closes (ABDC) 44 degrees
Exhaust Opens (BBDC) 44 degrees
Exhaust Closes (ATDC) 10 degrees
It comes out to 280 degrees of advertised duration and 234 of duration at 0.050 cam lift.

Thanks!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Iskenderian Racing Cams for 40hp (34PS) Vintage Speed Okrasa Reply with quote

Calculating DCR.
But with today´s fuel even a stock engine can handle much more static compression than it has stock.
The mild Isky you have is close to stock, so something like 7,5 on medium grade fuel would fine
The more agressive one would work its best at around 8,5. That´s not easy to get in a 36 hp. So you would want to get what CR you can and run it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Iskenderian Racing Cams for 40hp (34PS) Vintage Speed Okrasa Reply with quote

What sort of dynamic compression ratio should I be aiming for either regular or premium fuel?

And this is a 40 SAE HP Okrasa motor, not a 36HP. Sorry if 34PS caused some confusion; it is the German power output and accounts for losses from things like air cleaner, muffler, and cooling system, which the SAE number does not.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Iskenderian Racing Cams for 40hp (34PS) Vintage Speed Okrasa Reply with quote

My bad. I was assuming the old 36 because its the vintage forum . I appologize.
In this light my post doesnt make much sense.
The 34 hp 1200 is somewhat easier to get some static compression into. Also, if you swop rocker arms to the later stock 13/15/1600 version you get 10% more lift, which comes in handy. I would aim for 8 or just over with the torque cam .
And 8,5 - 9 with the second cam. (This cam will require you to use a dual sgl. carb induction.)
If you calculate via DCR you wou would want something around 7.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Iskenderian Racing Cams for 40hp (34PS) Vintage Speed Okrasa Reply with quote

The plan at this point is 83mm kolbenschmidt big bore 40hp pistons and cylinders coupled with an original okrasa 69.5mm 40hp crankshaft and 40hp okrasa cylinder heads.

Carburetion hasn't been decided on yet. I have a pair of rebuilt Solex 32PICB as well as a pair of Zenith 32NDIX. I would need to find manifolds for the Solexes, which are supposedly different for the fresh air heater 40hp engines. The Zeniths have steel manifolds, but are from an early stale air heater 40hp engine so I am not sure if the would work with a later fanshroud or not.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Iskenderian Racing Cams for 40hp (34PS) Vintage Speed Okrasa Reply with quote

Did the 1500 engines of the pre-1966 type 3 and type 2 use 1.1:1 rockers?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: