Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early Porsche brake rings and stopping the bug
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: early Porsche brake rings and stopping the bug Reply with quote

Just ordered a set of these beauties after seeing them in the flesh

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1979402

Getting them on brand new 57-64 drums (supplied) but wondered what else I can do to help the car stop well. Am looking at stock 57-64 drums and internals all round at the moment. Don't want to go servo or late, want to keep it period. Car is a 1950 beetle
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: early Porsche brake rings and stopping the bug Reply with quote

those rings will do nothing to help the car stop (they're just very expensive). Those cooling rings might help if you were actually racing your car at high speeds. Even going down a long mountain pass, your 57-64 brakes are just fine for a 50 beetle.

to make the car stop as well as possible, make sure you have the shoes arc'd to the drums accurately, and make sure there is zero air in the brake system. Other than that, discs would be the next upgrade.
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: early Porsche brake rings and stopping the bug Reply with quote

I should have mentioned the engine is being modified with 72mm crank etc and the car will be used in friendly road rally's. I've had issues with heat and brake fade before so am still going for these.

I thought the price was quite reasonable considering the cost of new drums is included and it's a pair. I was very impressed with the quality and being cast on is a massive improvement over the other ones you can buy. If nothing else they look the dogs through my custom drilled wheels Wink

Didn't know if anyone had ever used bigger slaves etc or if racing shoes were available.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: early Porsche brake rings and stopping the bug Reply with quote

I did not see that they included drums, that helps a bit.

if you're really looking to improve your splits braking, you should get some 356/356A aluminum drums with track compound shoes. Wink

you may be able to find a brake shop that will re-line your shoes with a more aggressive compound.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: