Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie with engine questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdoc2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Actually those will look pretty cool and period correct for your buggy. I like the 914 seats in buggies.
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

mcdoc2000 wrote:
Actually those will look pretty cool and period correct for your buggy. I like the 914 seats in buggies.

So I made the trip from Las Vegas to Phoenix and back (620 Miles) on Sunday to buy these 914 seats. The inserts are showing some wear but the leather is in great condition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Ready to drive it! No longer a newbie but still learning new stuff everyday. So, In the last three years I have pretty much gone through every nut and not on it. The only things I didn’t touch (yet) was the body/paint (looks good from 15 feet away) and the wiring that is not in too bad of shape. I replaced the fuse box, cleaned every connection I could and replaced a few wires. I didn’t open up the transmission but rebuilt from the axles out(including a bent axle tube), ground out the bell, installed a ‘71 auto stick starter, Rhino mounts. Discovered an interesting collection of mismatched parts while rebuilding the brake system. I put everything back as best I could as if it came from an original ‘63 donor car. Transplanted a rebuilt stock 71 1600 dp and added a few shiny pieces to it, including a progressive Weber from Red Line. Cut out the stock seat mounts and installed a set of Porsche 914 seats with Iggee seat covers. I managed to get my 6’2” head well below the windshield. Installed some 3 in. quick release seat belts, chrome steering wheel, shifter, oil temp gauge, roller pedal. Steering and shift linkage all gone through. Trying to keep it looking like it was built in the early 70’s. I would like to put some widened smoothies on it.
My thanks to everyone who helped from Samba. Mitch

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Nice clean old school look! I am very interested to hear how the carb works out, there is very mixed reviews on them but it seems they can work well if set up and jetted right.

Gotta love that color!

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Nice. I like yellow.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Nice clean old school look! I am very interested to hear how the carb works out, there is very mixed reviews on them but it seems they can work well if set up and jetted right.

Gotta love that color!

So far the carb has been working out well. Yes, my mechanic did some re-jetting and fuel seems to be staying suspended through the manifold. Manifold gets warm but not what I would call hot. "gotta love yellow buggies.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

It looks like you blocked off the heat risers, just wondering what you are heating the intake with?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

aluk wrote:
Ready to drive it! No longer a newbie but still learning new stuff everyday. So, In the last three years I have pretty much gone through every nut and not on it. The only things I didn’t touch (yet) was the body/paint (looks good from 15 feet away) and the wiring that is not in too bad of shape. I replaced the fuse box, cleaned every connection I could and replaced a few wires. I didn’t open up the transmission but rebuilt from the axles out(including a bent axle tube), ground out the bell, installed a ‘71 auto stick starter, Rhino mounts. Discovered an interesting collection of mismatched parts while rebuilding the brake system. I put everything back as best I could as if it came from an original ‘63 donor car. Transplanted a rebuilt stock 71 1600 dp and added a few shiny pieces to it, including a progressive Weber from Red Line. Cut out the stock seat mounts and installed a set of Porsche 914 seats with Iggee seat covers. I managed to get my 6’2” head well below the windshield. Installed some 3 in. quick release seat belts, chrome steering wheel, shifter, oil temp gauge, roller pedal. Steering and shift linkage all gone through. Trying to keep it looking like it was built in the early 70’s. I would like to put some widened smoothies on it.
My thanks to everyone who helped from Samba. Mitch

Looks like a great driver!!!!

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: