Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 T3 AHU
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Over the weekend I made a bit more progress on the van.

I replaced all of the seals on the driver's door, along with adding dynamat extreme and a reflectix barrier where possible. There was the same amount of rot on the pop-out window frame, but less rust on the door.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On sunday I drove to Napa and bought some parts from a samba member.

This was a good haul.
brown Z bed - no headrests which I'm happy about
brown camper front seats
brown front carpet, although it's dirty
front foam under carpets
rear seat belts
rear heater plastic cover
front lower grille

The front seats went in easily. I can hardly believe there's not even a bolt holding them in place. This van has a swivel on the passenger side, and the camper seats will work a bit better there. I'm losing the adjustable armrests, but I'll figure that out later.

Z-bed was a lot more work. The z-bed in the van was from a carat, and it's narrower (3-4 inches?). It took me a little while to figure out what needed to happen. I had to remove the carat panel on the passenger side, then remove the carat 'stand-offs' that threaded into the body where the mounting bolts go. Then it was just a matter of wedging the seat in there.

By then it was dark and I didn't take any other photos. The seat belt install will come next, and I'll either make some panels for the rear with this thin walnut plywood (mdf core) that's laying around or find brown panels.

There's so much wasted space behind the panels that I'm inclined to vacuum form some plastic pockets and create little cubbies throughout the van.

Still looking for brown speakers / grilles, and now the only thing left that's grey is the front carpet. Swapping it out will give me the chance to dynamat everything and eventually I'll spray the dash brown.

But first....
I have to replace the two seals on the injector pump. It's leaking like crazy out of the lower seal.

I have the seals and the triangular bit, and a mightyvac is on the way. I have vagcom but no pc laptop, but that'll be easy to figure out.

It started leaking after I put 99 biodiesel in it in santa cruz. Only 4 gallons, but I guess that was enough for the old seals.

The good news is that the oil and transaxle leaks have more or less stopped. Blue Devil in both seems to have worked.

Locally I can get RB20 (20% pure domestic biodiesel, 80% renewable diesel).
My plan is to run biodiesel, but this leaking pump has me kind of worried about long road trips and switching back and forth between fuels.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

It is very doubtful that the biodiesel caused the pump leakage. It is far more likely that it was just coincidence. All of the Bosch seals prior to the AHU production have been 100% biodiesel compatible.

Which two of the 15 or so seals/orings do you plan on changing? I'd do them all while the pump is off.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to replace the upper and lower seals on the quantity adjuster. As shown here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2733762%20

I don't plan to remove the pump or do the head seal right now. I'll probably take it to a mechanic with more TDI experience if / when that time comes.

I did call a nearby shop with 'certified' TDI mechanics about doing these seals but they "don't work on vanagons..." Rolling Eyes

Good to know about the biodiesel. I've only read about ultra low sulfur diesel shrinking seals, while biodiesel causes them to swell.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

That's crazy. I'd much rather do pretty much any servicing of a TDI in a longitudinal configuration like the Vanagon, as opposed to transverse applications like the Golf/Jetta

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

The switch from low-sulphur diesel to ultra-low sulphur diesel 'caused' quite a few pumps to leak. It is not that the ultra-low sulphur diesel causes new seals/o-rings to shrink, it is that the 'esters' that were removed along with the sulphur previously caused the seals/orings to swell and then years of service hardened them in the 'swelled' state. Then with the removal of the esters, the old seals shrank. Seals that are exposed exclusively to biodiesel and ultra-low sulphur diesel do not typically leak because of either.

Those two seals are not difficult to change.
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

erste wrote:

Totally digging your find, erste, and the cross country boldness to drive a vanagon site unseen to your brother's wedding in a tight time window with the groom in the van, no less. glad it worked out for the wedding and also to get back for the class in SF. impressive. I've gotten leery of tight time windows on 1000+mi journeys with the van. So many possibilities. . .
I like the look of the van with the paint and things do seem to be taken care of (generally) pretty well mechanically, aside from the leaks and little gremlins you are sorting out. the conversion seems to be done well, at least as a starting point for you to work with, other than that air intake. The intercooler pipes are tucked in there nicely, and it looks like someone cleaned the engine compartment well. I have gotten good at recognizing the symptoms of an ic hose popping off. I also don't have good lips on my tubing, but have gotten things clamped in there pretty well and nothing has come off in the past few years.
one suggestion: judging from the above picture, you might have some sort of headlight issue? There is a bright spot on the right and the left is much dimmer. Might you have a left highbeam out? Could also be a misalignment. I drove my van for a few years knowing that the mounts for one headlight were broken and that beam aimed down too much. When I got them fixed, I marveled at the increased nighttime visibility.
I'll also be following your progress with the IP sealing. I've got an intermittent IP leak as well, and am considering just getting it all resealed, after 10 years with b100->ulsd and back again.
Love the brown interior too.
-macjack
Bike as primary transportation
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13,
I know... Kind of a joke of a shop if they have such a policy, but they've got their reasons, I'm sure.

Andrew,
Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it, very helpful for a new diesel owner like myself.

macjack,
Thanks for the reply. That pic is actually of my '85 golf, but you're absolutely right. I got flashed a few times and at some point during the middle of the night I re-aimed the headlights. (I'd just swapped it back to square lights so I could keep the round h4 e-codes for the vanagon).

Resealing the IP went smoothly, despite it raining for most of the day. Photos before replacing the seals:

I scratched a few marks on the quantity adjuster so I could line it back up, then I started taking things apart. There was some corrosion on the seals, so I cleaned that up and replaced the two main seals. It took a few times to make absolutely sure the pin was lining up with the 'groove', but it lined up right the first time after bolting it back together.

Then I pulled a vacuum on the pump with my new mightyvac until fuel came out, which was pretty quick. Then cracked the injectors, let my girl crank it for a bit, cracked the other two, cranked again, and then buttoned it up.

It started after 3 or 4 cranks, then it was running again. When we hooked up vagcom, IQ was at 15. Got it back down to 3 with some tapping on the QA.

Tomorrow I'll get the engine nice and warm and check it again just to be sure.

This gives me confidence to replace the IP head seal if/when it starts leaking.

It also has me looking at kermatdi's site again for larger injectors. Twisted Evil
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

When replacing the distributor head o-ring with the pump on the car, you *must* keep pressure on the plunger at all times, or a small shim disc can fall out of place resulting in quick and thorough destruction of the injection pump. Many online sites describe the process without that critical step as it often works due to the surface tension of the diesel fuel keeping the shim 'stuck' in place. It also occasionally results in total pump destruction...
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Thank you Andrew, I'll keep that in mind when that seal starts leaking. I think dieselgeek sells a seal kit that includes a longer bolt to prevent you from removing the pump while giving you enough room to slide the new seal in place.

A few weeks ago I ordered Bullihutzen scoops from T3, along with a Samos Beige Aerosol Can from Paintscratch, not cheap but the color match is pretty good. I glued the vent in place with Liquid Nails, riveted it together, and painted it. Right now I've just done the driver's side because the intercooler is down the D pillar.

First pass, I found it nearly impossible to get that back screw in place, so I zip tied it for now. One of the mounting ‘pins’ at the top of the vent is broken off, so I’ll pull the vent and figure out a fix.

The interior is looking better. Still messy and over the long weekend I’ll probably try to cut some panels for the rear.

Got some seatbelts installed.

Want to work on making the space underneath the rear seat usable. Right now the wiring on the right side is all over the place, so I’m going to clean it up and build a wall to block it off so I can store things in there.

Fire extinguisher is now mounted.

I have an ARB on board compressor to install. It will probably end up in the battery box under the passenger seat. This way I can run the wires to the aux battery under the driver’s seat. I’m also thinking about mounting it under the van so I don’t lose that storage space.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the air intake and am close to ordering a donaldson airbox / filter, but don't quite know where it will fit. I'd like to keep the battery back there and other installs I've seen have the filter where the coolant tank is, so let's see.

Most importantly it’s now registered in CA! The guy at AAA made sure the VINs matched, and that was that.
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

erste wrote:

Fire extinguisher is now mounted.

Nice progress!
And of course, the dreaded vanagon fires are not nearly the same issue with diesel fuel in the system. But good to have the extinguisher in case you accidentally light something on fire that shouldn't be on fire.

erste wrote:

I have an ARB on board compressor to install. It will probably end up in the battery box under the passenger seat. This way I can run the wires to the aux battery under the driver’s seat. I’m also thinking about mounting it under the van so I don’t lose that storage space.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the air intake and am close to ordering a donaldson airbox / filter, but don't quite know where it will fit. I'd like to keep the battery back there and other installs I've seen have the filter where the coolant tank is, so let's see.

Most importantly it’s now registered in CA! The guy at AAA made sure the VINs matched, and that was that.

Cool that you have the on board air system. I mounted mine in the engine compartment, but it was a tight fit.
I also put a donaldson airbox in the driver's d pillar, intercooler in passenger d pillar, with coolant bottle on the wall in front of the passenger d pillar. Didn't even try to keep the battery in the engine compartment, so starting battery takes up some space under the rear seat. The donaldson airbox is great.
Nice you got it registered! And are you anticipating any trouble getting it smogged in CA?
-macjack
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

macjack wrote:

Nice progress!
And of course, the dreaded vanagon fires are not nearly the same issue with diesel fuel in the system. But good to have the extinguisher in case you accidentally light something on fire that shouldn't be on fire.

Cool that you have the on board air system. I mounted mine in the engine compartment, but it was a tight fit.
I also put a donaldson airbox in the driver's d pillar, intercooler in passenger d pillar, with coolant bottle on the wall in front of the passenger d pillar. Didn't even try to keep the battery in the engine compartment, so starting battery takes up some space under the rear seat. The donaldson airbox is great.
Nice you got it registered! And are you anticipating any trouble getting it smogged in CA?
-macjack

Thanks macjack! I'm not worried about an engine fire, but who knows what's going on with the wiring behind the dash. Every car I've had with an aftermarket radio was wired in a sketchy way. Always better to be safe, and having an extinguisher near a camp fire is a good idea.

I'm excited about the air compressor. Being able to hook up an air nozzle and blow stuff off will be great. One of the other reasons to mount it in the battery box is so I can muffle the sound and use it without making a ton of noise (at a camp ground for example).

Hopefully I'll have more time to dig into the placement of the air filter over the holiday. I think I could just about squeeze a 3" hose between the battery and the passenger tail light so I can get it up in the D pillar at least.

Until things change in California, I don't need to smog it because it's a pre-'98 diesel vehicle. Interestingly the VA title incorrectly listed it as a gas vehicle, but this wasn't an issue.

Theoretically I could put any engine in it now and not have to smog it. Diesel titles are like gold for this reason. I have heard from a long time diesel owner though that when they went to re-register their vehicle one year, the DMV employee needed to hear it start to verify it was still diesel powered.

Right now in California, any vehicle older than 1975 is smog exempt. This just changed last year (it was '65 and older before). It's not a rolling date like most states... And the state sends you these annoying letters about how you should donate your old vehicle and buy a newer, cleaner one...

Anyway, I have a 2.5" catalytic converter on the way and I'm looking into mufflers. I love the sound as it is, but it could be quieter (for passengers). I'm hoping the cat will clean up what little bit of smoke there is and also the smell, although I haven't noticed the smell as much since putting biodiesel in it.

Dual guage pod from T3 showed up today and I've got a spare boost gauge to install. EGT gauge is planned too but it's a bit more involved.

I just picked up the used brown carpet from the car wash and it cleaned up pretty nicely, so hopefully that finds its way into the van soon too. Very Happy
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

erste wrote:

Thanks macjack! I'm not worried about an engine fire, but who knows what's going on with the wiring behind the dash. Every car I've had with an aftermarket radio was wired in a sketchy way. Always better to be safe, and having an extinguisher near a camp fire is a good idea.

I'm excited about the air compressor. Being able to hook up an air nozzle and blow stuff off will be great. One of the other reasons to mount it in the battery box is so I can muffle the sound and use it without making a ton of noise (at a camp ground for example).

Hopefully I'll have more time to dig into the placement of the air filter over the holiday. I think I could just about squeeze a 3" hose between the battery and the passenger tail light so I can get it up in the D pillar at least.

Until things change in California, I don't need to smog it because it's a pre-'98 diesel vehicle. Interestingly the VA title incorrectly listed it as a gas vehicle, but this wasn't an issue.

Theoretically I could put any engine in it now and not have to smog it. Diesel titles are like gold for this reason. I have heard from a long time diesel owner though that when they went to re-register their vehicle one year, the DMV employee needed to hear it start to verify it was still diesel powered.

Right now in California, any vehicle older than 1975 is smog exempt. This just changed last year (it was '65 and older before). It's not a rolling date like most states... And the state sends you these annoying letters about how you should donate your old vehicle and buy a newer, cleaner one...

Anyway, I have a 2.5" catalytic converter on the way and I'm looking into mufflers. I love the sound as it is, but it could be quieter (for passengers). I'm hoping the cat will clean up what little bit of smoke there is and also the smell, although I haven't noticed the smell as much since putting biodiesel in it.

Dual guage pod from T3 showed up today and I've got a spare boost gauge to install. EGT gauge is planned too but it's a bit more involved.

I just picked up the used brown carpet from the car wash and it cleaned up pretty nicely, so hopefully that finds its way into the van soon too. Very Happy

that brown carpet will look great. And freshly washed no less!
Boostguage will be nice. Is your manifold tapped for the EGT thermocouple?
That is very cool about the diesel title. I had no idea. What a great find, already converted to AHU, in such cool colors.
I hear you about the fire extinguisher. I recently installed one and feel much better about it. And good thinking on sound muffling for the compressor. Those rubber isolators are also key for the transmission of vibrations to the van, but the units themselves gives off quite a hum.
I agree about the smell with biodiesel, too. can be downright appetizing given the right concentration of bio! I did get some injector seals start to leak last year. From what I've read, the switching to ULSD after running bio was tough on some old rubber. I would like to run more bio, but it is more involved to get B100 delivered to my home, so am running B20 from a pump in town. Do you have a good source out there?
I ran with the original (gasser!) cat for 8 years, until it died, and yikes that exhaust smelled much worse all of a sudden. With both a cat and a muffler, it still sounds like a diesel, but muffled for sure. I'll be interested to see what you do.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

macjack wrote:

that brown carpet will look great. And freshly washed no less!
Boostguage will be nice. Is your manifold tapped for the EGT thermocouple?
That is very cool about the diesel title. I had no idea. What a great find, already converted to AHU, in such cool colors.
I hear you about the fire extinguisher. I recently installed one and feel much better about it. And good thinking on sound muffling for the compressor. Those rubber isolators are also key for the transmission of vibrations to the van, but the units themselves gives off quite a hum.
I agree about the smell with biodiesel, too. can be downright appetizing given the right concentration of bio! I did get some injector seals start to leak last year. From what I've read, the switching to ULSD after running bio was tough on some old rubber. I would like to run more bio, but it is more involved to get B100 delivered to my home, so am running B20 from a pump in town. Do you have a good source out there?
I ran with the original (gasser!) cat for 8 years, until it died, and yikes that exhaust smelled much worse all of a sudden. With both a cat and a muffler, it still sounds like a diesel, but muffled for sure. I'll be interested to see what you do.

Hey macjack, thanks for the comments. Hope you had a nice thanksgiving!

The manifold isn't tapped, which is why the EGT gauge will probably take me some time. But there's a bunch of bluetooth OBD2 modules that will send real time data to your phone - I've been looking into those but haven't decided on which one to buy / if I really need it just yet.

Thanks for the tip on the rubber isolators. I looked through my stash of hardware and found some rubber bushings before installing the compressor.

Around here (san francisco and berkeley at least) you'll find RB20, which is 20% pure domestic biodiesel and 80% HDR renewable diesel (from Singapore). It's not cheap at $3.90/gallon, but I'm used to filling up a gas guzzling mk2 vr6 with premium (not even 93!), so I don't really mind.

Can you still hear the turbo whistle with the cat and muffler? I really love that sound...

This van had a storage cubby under the driver's seat that I didn't know about until mark told me....
I removed it to start the carpet installation. I'll probably replace the screws for bolts when I re-install it.

Grey carpet, coming out!

Removed the aux. battery (gowesty kit) so I could get the compressor wired up.

While the carpet and factory foam stuff was out I took care of any rust spots with POR15. The worst was just surface rust, nothing major. Regarding the yellow foam stuff, this van was missing the center sections, so I reinstalled the part around the shifter and the part that goes to the cabin.

Everything was all apart and I still had a full roll of reflectix, so I laid some down.

Then the used carpet:

And on to the compressor install.

The aux. battery is only putting out 10V... It's been sitting for 3 days. It's also very bulged on one side but I'm going to ignore it. So it doesn't power the compressor...

I didn't realize this until after drilling holes...

The compressor ended up here because it kept the wiring connections out of the way (to the left), providing storage for the hose / gauge/ etc. on the right.

Here you can see the rubber bushings. I'm curious to see how much the compressor will move while mounted like this.

Hole drilled for the coupling:

Compressor mounted:

Compressor Outlet:

I swapped out the rocket chip 2 software with a tune from kermatdi. Review to follow? I asked for something mild. The whole point of this is to match the nozzles that are on the way.... Twisted Evil

Looking decent now.

Defender mirrors are on the way Wink
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

First of all, CA plates. Wasn't cheap, but worth every penny with the engine swap and no smog from now on.

On-board air compressor is installed and working! I tapped into some empty +12v ignition pin at the fuse box and put a toggle switch where the diesel choke used to be. I removed the extra wiring for lockers from the harness. The compressor will only run for a few seconds until the manifold is full - this was confusing me, so I thought it wasn't working off the aux battery, but that's not the case.

The DLC1019 Nozzle install took me forever. I got the nozzles from Kerma TDI through their hot swap program, which is really a great service.

Installing the nozzles was easy. They provide a slide hammer and nothing was very corroded on this engine, so the nozzles came out easily. It helped to have a small vacuum to suck up the debris after removal and q-tips to clean out the holes.

With the nozzle install complete, I went to set the ignition timing through VCDS and made the mistake of rotating the engine at the injection pump pulley instead of the crank. The pump pulley skipped a tooth on the belt and it would start, but it smoked like hell.

At the time I wasn't 100% sure what had happened, I didn't see it skip, but I heard the gear jump on the belt so I had a good idea. In trying to fix it, I made it worse and it jumped some more. At that point I didn't even try to start it.

I ordered the timing tools from dieselgeek and waited until the next weekend to get the mechanical timing where it's supposed to be.

In the meantime I installed the Defender mirrors with adapters from rowlsey on brick-yard.co.uk. LT mirrors were really tempting, but they're also really expensive and I don't really want to drill holes to install them.

I could have made my own bracket, but he has it all figured out and shipping from the UK was actually really quick. I painted the brackets black with appliance paint.

The mirrors are convex vertically, so you see a lot more than the stock mirrors. They can also be extended even further (there are two detents in the mechanism to lock them in place, if you're pulling a trailer?) You can also get heated elements for them.

This is a really a huge improvement and helps me parallel park and see cyclists in the bike lane.

When it was raining and I didn't want to remove the valve cover to dick with the timing, I got the ARB awning installed. The mounts are from vanagonlife and bolt through the Thule cross bars. If I had to do it again I'd have ordered the ARB universal mounting brackets, but I didn't even know they existed at the time.

It wasn't raining on Sunday so I took the valve cover off and found TDC at cylinder 1.

From there I did my best to find TDC with a dial indicator and coat hanger so I could make a mark on the flywheel (the 1.6 diesel bellhousing viewport doesn't line up with the mark on the TDI flywheel).

Basically what happened next is a half day of me checking and re-checking everything. Crank at TDC, cam locked with cylinder 1 at TDC, injection pump locked... but then I couldn't get the cam sprocket back on until pulling the pin at the IP pulley. I cranked it over 2 times by hand to check for interference and then tried to start it.... Nothing. The glow plug light didn't even turn on...

I felt defeated and woke up early to look things over the next morning. Tried a few things engine related with no luck. Unplugged the ECU and looked around there. Turns out the 109 relay needed some tapping before it would work again. NOW the glow plug light turns on. Still not turning over though. I loosened the tensioner and rotated the pump pulley clockwise so it would advance one tooth.

FINALLY IT STARTS!

Then I moved it out of my girlfriend's driveway (that's her vanagon behind mine) and drove it to work, 15 miles away, without issue, even after driving over some gravel on the freeway without the timing belt cover installed and nearly freaking out...

I tried setting the pump timing, but the line in VCDS was always advanced. I think this is because the engine wasn't warm. It may still be too advanced, but I went back and forth with the pump and found a spot between smoking and stumbling, so the ECU should be able to adapt.

The nozzles made a nice difference. There's definitely more power. Kerma recommended the DLC1019s because they make good mid range power. I rarely shift over 3500 so that's perfect.

I have some more parts on the way that I'm really excited about, and hopefully if the weather is decent this weekend I'll get to try out the new awning.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Crank at TDC, cam locked with cylinder 1 at TDC, injection pump locked... but then I couldn't get the cam sprocket back on until pulling the pin at the IP pulley.

That doesn't make sense to me and actually has me a bit alarmed. The cam sprocket can rotate freely 360° on the end of the cam (no key, just a taper fit). Your comment makes me think that you did not loosen the cam sprocket from the cam. In that case, unfortunately, you should probably start over and do it again.

Make sure the cam/sprocket tapered mating surface is completely free of oil (brake clean) and torque the cam bolt to 45 rather than the 33 spec (some folks have had them slip at 33.

The pump pin should be removed and the cam sprocket should be free to rotate on the cam when tensioning the belt. The tension will not be correct if it was not because once you tighten the cam sprocket bolt, the force of the valve springs acting on the cam/sprocket/belt skew the reading of the tensioner.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,
I did take the cam sprocket off, but I couldn't get it back on until I removed the IP pin. When everything was back together, the pin wouldn't go into the hole. After I advanced the pulley, the pin goes in the hole, cam plate locks down, and the crank is at TDC based on my new mark on the flywheel.

I did torque that bolt to 45 as well. And set the tension just like you said, pin removed, cam loose, idler pulley in place.

I just want to say thank you again for your input. In all the searching I did to figure out the order of things, you wrote the clearest step-by-step I could find (quoted below)

It was a really good learning experience, albeit stressful at times.

Quote:
1. Remove valve cover. Because the crank rotates 2X for every cam/pump rotation, you can't be sure you are at TDC for #1 vs. TDC for #4 without looking at the cam lobes.
2. Rotate crank to TDC for #1 (cam lobes UP).
3. Remove water pump pulley, crank pulley, and timing covers.
4. Loosen tensioner and remove old belt.
5. Using pulley holder to hold the cam sprocket, loosen the cam sprocket bolt.
6. Using a punch from the valve cover side of the cam sprocket, loosen it from the cam.
7. Remove cam sprocket, spray cam taper and sprocket taper with brake cleaner and wipe with clean rag.
8. Double-check crank TDC and adjust if necessary.
9. Install pump lock.
10. Install new tensioner and new belt tight around crank, pump, and tensioner.
11. Place cam sprocket into the loop of belt by the cam and pull it up onto the cam taper and install the bolt finger tight.
12. Remove pump lock.
13. Install cam lock (tweak the cam into position if it is not aligned).
14. Rotate CCW a few degrees, rotate CW back to TDC without going past while keeping pressure at cam sprocket to resist the rotation.
15. Tension the belt.
16. Double-check crank TDC and if it is off then rotate CCW a few degrees and then back CW to TDC without going past.
17. Torque cam sprocket bolt to 25 ft. lbs.
18. Remove cam lock and using the pulley holder torque to 45 ft. lbs.
19. Give the sprocket bolt a tap with the hammer and recheck the 45 ft. lbs.
20. Rotate crank 2x by hand back to TDC without going past.
21. Double-check cam alignment.
22. Install valve cover, timing covers, pulleys, etc...
23+ Adjust pump timing...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Right on. To be clear, when the crank is at TDC, the cam slot must be aligned. That alignment between the crank TDC and the slot of the cam is critical. Whether or not the pump pin fits is not really critical. The pump pin is really just to get the belt on the pump on the correct tooth alignment. As you know, actual timing of the pump is done with vag-com.

If vag-com shows the pump timing as overly advance, then you should loosen the four pump mounting fasteners (3 at the sprocket, 1 at the injection lines) and rotate the top of the pump away from the head/injectors. It's a good idea to scribe a mark between the pump case and pump bracket first in order to be able to return it to baseline if necessary.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
If vag-com shows the pump timing as overly advance, then you should loosen the four pump mounting fasteners (3 at the sprocket, 1 at the injection lines) and rotate the top of the pump away from the head/injectors. It's a good idea to scribe a mark between the pump case and pump bracket first in order to be able to return it to baseline if necessary.

After getting the engine good and warm, I checked TDI-Timing with vcds today. It was saying "timing too advanced to plot" or whatever with the yellow line pointing straight up off the graph

So I try to retard the pump, but it starts smoking and running rough. I'd read a lot of posts about the need to actually advance the timing further.

This is exactly what I had to do.

I had trouble doing it with the engine running / the injector lines tight. So I turned the engine off, loosened the lines, advanced the pump 1mm or so, tightened the lines, and started it up to check again with vcds.

After 3 or 4 adjustments I finally got the timing to plot on the graph, and after a few more adjustments I dialed it in to around 60-62, slightly advanced but halfway to the blue line.

So now I'm feeling good about all of that and it starts right up.

It was hard to start all week (it's maybe 50F here) - not really hard to start, but it just wouldn't start on the first crank. It would always start on the second crank though and blow out a bunch of white smoke for a quick second.

Today my girlfriend and I picked up some supplies to insulate our vans. I've already put the reflectix down, but we picked up a big roll of recycled denim insulation and will be taping it shut in thick trash bags. I'm taking the idea from vanagon1991's post in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668822

I finished the hatch before it got dark. The left side is the reflectix only, right side is with the denim insulation taped in a plastic bag.

I really wanted to give 3M Thinsulate a try, but it's prohibitively expensive / not available locally, so this should be a decent alternative. I'm excited about the sound absorption - just closing the hatch with it installed made a nice difference.
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Glad you got the timing sorted. That' must have been disconcerting trying to track it down!
The carpet and insulation look great and your compressor install is sweet. Like that port. Well executed. How's the sound?
Is the plastic baggin supposed to be effective at keeping out condensation from the insulation? I want to tackle that job next summer and am getting ideas from what you are doing.
How come the air scoops aren't in the recent pics?
And congrats on the full CA plates.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
Glad you got the timing sorted. That' must have been disconcerting trying to track it down!
The carpet and insulation look great and your compressor install is sweet. Like that port. Well executed. How's the sound?
Is the plastic baggin supposed to be effective at keeping out condensation from the insulation? I want to tackle that job next summer and am getting ideas from what you are doing.
How come the air scoops aren't in the recent pics?
And congrats on the full CA plates.

Hey macjack, sorry for delayed reply!

The compressor isn't really that loud, it's having to start the clanky diesel engine to run it that's really the problem. It's a rugged unit, and mounting it outside the van is probably a better use of space, but I like the location. An exterior air tank would be nice to have, and there's plenty of room to mount it underneath.

Plastic bags over the insulation is to keep the moisture out, exactly. Thicker plastic sheeting might be easier to work with than the trash bags though.

There's scoops on both sides now. At first I only installed the driver's side, but now the passenger side scoop is on there.

Picking up at the end of December when I nearly burned it to the ground.

Disconnecting the aux battery setup in a dumb way and didn't realize the solenoid was grounded to chassis. At one point a wire under the fuse box was glowing red so I gave it a quick blast with the fire extinguisher and put it out...

Thankfully I was there when this happened and the damage wasn't that bad. I replaced a few wires, pulled everything shady out, and started from scratch.

The auxiliary battery install took a few weekends, but was pretty straight forward thanks to seeing tates detailed photos of his setup. It's one thing to read wiring diagrams, but seeing high res photos of the install is such a huge help.

Optima Yellow Top, Blue Seas ACR, big fuses and wires, fuseblock, MPPT charge controller, screwed into a thin sheet of ply under the driver's seat.

Flexible 120w solar panel in the windshield until I mount it up top.

It took me a few weeks to stop freaking out and thinking the van might catch on fire with the new install, but everything is fine.

Around the holidays the streets of san francisco were empty and it was nice.

Finishing off the compressor install, I riveted the door back on the passenger side, but then it wouldn't close because of the swivel! So I had to cut it down with an angle grinder.

ARB 50qt fridge / freezer is really an amazing thing to have in a van. My only complaint is that you can't dim or turn off the display.

For New Years we went up to Mt. Tamalpais, slept in the parking lot at a campground and woke up to a ticket in the morning. Annoying, but the views at the top were amazing.

And over the pacific:

I had some 3/16" Walnut MDF core plywood left over from a project and used it to make door panels. It worked out pretty well except I couldn't get the grain to run the direction that I liked. I stained the panel that came with the van and cut and oiled the rest.

Then I made a new table and mounted it on the passenger side so it's more useful if you're cooking outside the van.

Yakima megawarrior with an extension -

Drove down to SLO for the weekend, woke up with a huge hangover and my gf driving me to the beach. Being in bed, in a vanagon, on the freeway, with the windows down, is the best. <3

All of the original windows / chrome trim have been repainted black at this point. Except for the cracked windshield.

Second extension on the rack:

I have a rebuilt starter to install at some point. One night it wouldn't start and I had to clean the grounds / power cables to the starter. That fixed the problem.

Unfortunately the clutch started slipping. I'm pretty sure this is due to the input shaft seal on the transmission leaking. It started slipping on the freeway in 4th at 3/4 throttle. If you're gentle, it's not a big deal. But it also shudders in 1st, pretty badly. So that will be the next big job, but for now it's manageable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: