Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 T3 AHU
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Once it stops humming its time to replace that hard drive. Its a game changer of a device once you switch to solid state memory.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

macjack,
This thread that jackbombay started on tdi club was extremely helpful:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=193855

The pinouts are also in the wiring diagram above. I'm going to post a more detailed writeup to that thread above when I get time.

The PO made the install a lot easier because he'd already run wires under the van from the ECU at the back seat to the dash. The wires were even labeled at the ECU which was helpful but I double checked them anyway.

You really need VAGCOM to get cruise going. First it has to be turned on, then you go to measuring block 6 and use it to verify that the pedal switches are working and the stalk is working.

After some finite adjustment at the brake pedal switch it's pretty reliable now. Scangauge is showing 30+mpg with it set at 60 which is very cool.

Just like joetiger said, I have the ipod in the glovebox. From what I've read not all headunits can charge through usb, but mine does.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

149135 on the odo

Saturday I changed the fuel filter. I'd been putting it off because I didn't want to deal with priming it afterwards.

long story short, the van was out of fuel. after half an hour of priming, cranking for a while to get it started, having it die after a minute - I pulled the feed line off the fuel tank and nothing came out. lol

took a car to the station, got 5 gallons of diesel, filled it up, primed it twice and it was good to go.

This brings up two issues that I want to address.
1. Fuel gauge accuracy
2. Gauges reset sometimes when starting the van and it loses the trip memory

Fuel gauge doesn't seem very accurate when it's under 1/3 tank. It'll show empty but there's still 5-6 gallons in it. So I've learned not to trust it. On saturday it was showing empty and I didn't think that was possible. I was wrong. Maybe this is just a vanagon thing?

Gauges will turn off and back on when the key is turned to crank the van. I have no idea why and they never turn off any other time. It'll happen maybe once every 20+ cranks. Grounds and wiring look good but I haven't really dug into it that deep.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Baldwin BF587-D filters down to 5 microns and spins onto the stock 1.6 housing. Learned about it from this guy on youtube who has some good videos of his tdi swap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlniB6aHzNc
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Cool filter! 5 micron is nice filtration!

I watched his video, I actually have the Bosch VW one at 6.5 micron part number Bosch 1457434106, VW 068127177 also used on T3's Cool

You can also use BF5587-D which would be very similar in shape and has an easy bleed screw Cool

Cheers!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

I watched his video, I actually have the Bosch VW one at 6.5 micron part number Bosch 1457434106, VW 068127177 also used on T3's Cool

You can also use BF5587-D which would be very similar in shape and has an easy bleed screw Cool

Cheers!

Really good info, thanks ALIKA

This filter has a screw on the bottom - is it still a bleed screw? The BF5587-D has the same easy bleed screw that was on the filter I replaced. Looks like that's a better choice next time.

Is the purpose to drain dirt / debris out so it doesn't clog the filter?
Do you drain every 10k and replace the filter every 20k like I've read? Usually running biodiesel if that matters.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

The ipod hd swap went off without a hitch and now it has a 300GB SSD. Not too bad. It's so light now!

Today I replaced the 10A mppt charge controller with a 15A mppt controller from victron. Now I can see what's happening through an app and the visualizations and graphs are really well done. Normally I'm not that into tying the phone into things, but it makes a lot of sense to me in this case. Solar will be more fun to monitor now.

I fixed some issues with the solar install that I wasn't really aware of until reading some recent posts here. The solar panel is now fused, and so is the charge controller. Embarassed

I'm going to replace the single flexible 120w panel with 2 rigid 100w panels. My laptop needs a lot of power, it'd be nice to blast the stereo when camped maybe, and the coating on the flexible panel has started flaking off and it's just going to get worse. This is what it looks like after 1 year. Originally those were scratches, but in the last few months it's started to flake and look pretty dingy. It still works, but it's not optimal and there's plenty of room on the roof rack for more panels. so... might as well fix it now.

When I added the RMW door pockets I had to remove the flashlight that was mounted to the left of the driver's seat . It took me a while to figure out where to mount it, but today I figured it out and didn't even need to lengthen the wires.

More parts to install this week: LED headlights (50/50 they get returned because I'm not that into the look), replacement horn contact ring, front curtain with snaps from gowesty, Rit Dye to dye my grey curtain set tan, and some cool stuff for the roof rack (table, table mount, dual jerry can holder).

Before the drive to solstice next month I feel like I should put clean fluid in the trans after the rebuild and am leaning toward Swepco 201.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

erste wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Cheers!

Really good info, thanks ALIKA

This filter has a screw on the bottom - is it still a bleed screw? The BF5587-D has the same easy bleed screw that was on the filter I replaced. Looks like that's a better choice next time.

Is the purpose to drain dirt / debris out so it doesn't clog the filter?
Do you drain every 10k and replace the filter every 20k like I've read? Usually running biodiesel if that matters.

It looks like a bleed screw on the pic though. The bleed screw is to drain water usually, bc it's heavier than fuel.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

It looks like a bleed screw on the pic though. The bleed screw is to drain water usually, bc it's heavier than fuel.

Got it. thank you!

New solar panels came today and I had some time to get one mounted.

(Front) 1yr 4mo old 120w Kingsolar flexible panel vs. (Rear) new 100w HQST rigid panel:
Back to back comparison showed 30w vs. 60w - this was around 430 pm, flat on the roof, with 5 minutes max between hooking them up.

With half of the old kingsolar panel covered it was only showing 1 watt coming in. I think it's either half broken / worn out / of too faded to care.

I had to move some slats in the roof rack before mounting the new panels. They'll end up in the back. This took a little while.

Drilled the mounting holes (3/8" for some wiggle room):

(2)100w panels will be wired in series.

Going to finish up this install tomorrow.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

I like the rack and cargo box you have up there. I plan to do something similar, whenever I get the van back on the road...(soon)

My bad on the hard drive being difficult on your ipod. Looks like that generation is a lot easier than the one I did. You're going to love the speed and battery life.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

- OTEE dash gauge holder thing
- Boost gauge and clock work, CEL is next along with the aux. light switch.
- LED headlights - huge improvement over H4s, but I'll miss the hella yellowstar bulbs
- Front Runner undermount table
- gowesty front wrap around curtain
- attempted to dye my grey curtains tan, but it was a complete and total failure because they're polyester or a very high blend. Cotton tag changed color though...

Solar has been working all week:
280, 320, 230, 300Wh daily

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Is that CEL unit an actual switch or just a lighted plug for that slot?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Is that CEL unit an actual switch or just a lighted plug for that slot?

Just a light, it doesn't toggle. From a B3 or B4 passat.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

What did you pick for the headlights?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
What did you pick for the headlights?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B376YOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"LX-LIGHT 7'' Round Black Cree LED Headlight High Low Beam for Jeep Wrangler JK TJ LJ CJ Hummber H1 H2 (Pair) "

Output is a huge improvement over the relayed H4s. I was skeptical, but they're good, especially for the price. I bought laminx for them but the lens is domed, not flat. I don't think I'll get good results even with a heat gun so I'm just going to keep them as-is.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

here's a long overdue update so I can keep this thread current.

Syncrofest 2018 in Hollister was great. I nearly made it to the top but there was one obstacle, a big rut close to the edge that made me uncomfortable trying to power through, so I parked it and rode up in a doka.

A weird thing happened while trying to make it up that section. I couldn't give it enough throttle to even inch back up that grade. It just stalled. No wheel spin. It might be a little over-geared now after the R&P swap or maybe it's driver error and I don't know how to slip the clutch on this thing. The steepest hills in SF are no problem from a stop and are way steeper than that one, but since then I've had the same thing happen on another steep gravel road a few months later (was not aired down on that one). Couldn't give it enough power to make it up from a stop, just a bunch of black smoke before stalling.

Anyway, huge thanks to the guys I was with who either waited in front or backed down so I could find a safe place to park.

Syncro Solstice 2018 in Moab was maybe even better because of the drive there and back.

First day I made it to Lovelock Cave in the middle of the night. The drive through the Humboldt State Wildlife Area is beautiful.

Then into Utah and past the salt lake.

Arrived at the campsite in Moab and these pics are from the following days.

Riding in joetiger's syncro at this point:

One of my favorite vans from the trip. If this one is yours, PM me!

Drive back across Utah, past the lake

Felt like calling it early and found a camp site 10-20 minutes off the freeway. Wouldn't you know it, I saw a vanagon in the distance. Red. Westy. Top popped. Dude in a hammock out back. Of course it's Nate from Syncro Solstice who was stuck with a busted oil pan...

Hung out that night and he had it towed to a shop the next day. The shop tried to weld up the oil pan. We put it all back together but it still leaked... Towed it to the UHaul so he could rent a truck to tow it home. Soufflé was on his way back to the bay too so we all met up.

Nate headed on down the road and me and Soufflé camped at a cool spot on the water north of Lake Tahoe before driving home.

I love my van for a lot of reasons, but the people I've met at syncrofest and syncro solstice make me love being a part of the community even more. thanks ya'll Very Happy
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Bump. Subscribed. Cool thread.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

You talking about the one with the Volkswagen tail gate?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Bump. Subscribed. Cool thread.

Thanks. Looong overdue for an update but it's coming.

dkoesyncro wrote:
You talking about the one with the Volkswagen tail gate?

hahaha yeah! Do you know who drives that one? Wink
Glad to have caught up with you again at nwmf
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

That is my van man!
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 T3 AHU Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
That is my van man!

And it's one of my favorites!

Last year around this time I drove out to Yosemite with my mom and brother. Pretty sure we drove together. My mom booked one of those cabins and I camped in the van in the parking lot which was nice.

Saw a black bear:

It's been so long that I don't remember many of the details of this trip. I've been to Yosemite before and it's always awesome. The most memorable thing was when the van started making a noise. Definitely a rotational noise, that went away off throttle, or maybe not. I remember it was a noise I could hear accelerating uphill, and mildly freaking out because we were still a long way from home with a bad noise.
I also remember picking up 3 or 4 french hitchhikers and my mom being really uncomfortable with that, but not mentioning it until a year later. They were way far from their camp with no vehicle and we took them as far as we could before it became a huge inconvenience. Good people, touring the country.

On the drive home we headed toward Mariposa Grove, which had just recently re-opened after they built a pathway. Really, really, really nice spot for the grand sequoias and an incredible experience as always.

Turned out to be CVs, and they were replaced with 944s. Drive flange seals also leaking. This was the beginning of the end for the shop that I'd come to trust. Nice to have a gps tracker when a shop claims to do a "test drive" and the vehicle hasn't left their lot, on top of getting way, way overcharged for parts. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: