Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lithium Aux Battery
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

I thought you had to go to AGM batteries to get 50% and that normal lead acid deep cycle batteries were 25%.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Sorry.
Yes I see I failed to mention that the deep cycle batteries are AGM batteries.

You are correct.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2 Battle Born 100Ah auxiliary batteries in parallel. Takes up a little less than 1/2 the space under my Weekender’s bench seat.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Drool nice job!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

You peaked my interested. Really just to see how pricing is holding up. I watched the Battle Born video below and learned that a higher charging rate shortens the life of the battery. I don't know if that would stop be from charging by alternator - but would be interesting if you could somehow control the charging rate. I feel like you either want it charged as fast as possible - or as slow as possible (1+ hour drives, etc)

Link

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Here are some notes I took during a phone conversation with Battle Born:

Battle Born - LiOn Battery 100Ah (29lbs 3yr warranty)

Charging requirements:
Bulk/absorption 14.2-14.6
Specific = 14.4
Float = 13.6 or less
No equalization charge!

30A charger from progressive dynamics
8.6”x7.25”x4.5” $201 p/n pd9130lv

Victron Blue Smart IP65 charger about $170 15A

Victron BMV-712 Smart battery monitor about $200

Sterling battery to battery charger 30A $293 or 60A $408 (faster)

1.8T Amperage of alternator = 120A

RV solonoid 3 pin isolator (not Blue Sea ACR)
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Reposting this from a previous thread.
Shows some ways of limiting the charge rate.

https://shop.pkys.com/Alternator-Lithium-Battery.html

And here is the other thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712950&highlight=battle+born
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

I've emailed back and forth with a guy named Jesse at Battleborn and he told me not to worry about my alternator unless its putting out more than 14.6 volts. I haven't measured my 1.8T alternator since I did my conversion more than a year ago. I'll check it soon but I can't imagine it's putting out more than that.

I plan to use the Sterling DC to DC changer between the starter and house battery so overcharging is not an issue for me.

BTW - you can find those Progressive Dynamics 110V chargers here for less with free shipping:

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/prog...wer-center

I think I'd go for the 45A since its only $10 more.

FYI - I have a 30A lead-acid Progressive Dynamics 110V charger (model 9130: https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/prog-dyn-pd9130-charger ) that I'll sell when I get the lithium 45A version. I also have the Charge Wizard plug-in for that charger that regulates the various charge states. Nice 110V charger setup for lead-acid. PM if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

1.8T alternator = 120A output and usually around 14.1 - 14.4V

Btw.. All of my Battle Born notes in my previous post were from a phone converstation with Jesse.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:

I plan to use the Sterling DC to DC changer between the starter and house battery so overcharging is not an issue for me.

Overcharging is kinda vague. The batteries' BMS probably has that ability to disable charging once its at 100%.

But yes, charging at a higher amperage/voltage is where the Sterling DC to DC changer comes of use.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
BTW - you can find those Progressive Dynamics 110V chargers here for less with free shipping:

I think I'd go for the 45A since its only $10 more.

Nice find!

I think you'd want the multi mode one with indicator wouldn't you? For $2 more?

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/progressive-dynamics-pd9245-battery-charger

Here's another 45W option for even cheaper!

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/powermax-pm3-45-45-amp-power-converter

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

That multi-mode with the Charge Wizard is for lead-acid. Same with the other charger - not for lithium. I need a lithium charger. I have the 30A version with Charge Wizard now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

I see that GoWesty is now offering a 50ah LiFePO4 battery.
https://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/25082/lifepo_aux_battery?v=

It looks pretty close sizewise to the Battle Born I have under my driver's seat. It is quite a bit cheaper in cost, but I don't see any mention of the warranty terms, or specifics of the BMS, other than a low voltage cutoff.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Kirsche Wasserboxer wrote:

It looks pretty close sizewise to the Battle Born I have under my driver's seat. It is quite a bit cheaper in cost, but I don't see any mention of the warranty terms, or specifics of the BMS, other than a low voltage cutoff.

That's not a bad. Plus only $33 shipping for me. This is a great solution for those who want just 50aH
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Kirsche Wasserboxer wrote:

I looked at this and the price is essentially 1/2(!) of any other 12.8V, 50ah battery I can find on the web (with the exception of some Asian trade sites).

I love to hear a long term review, but I’m guessing it’s a new offering.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

I know its a great deal!

However - the deal breaker is no warranty as far as I can tell. A quality internal BMS can make or break a product. These should last more than 10 years.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Not to hijack the tread... but has anyone considered building their own lithium battery bank out of multiple 18650 batteries harvested from laptop battery packs?
I made a portable solar generator a few years back with a SLA battery and am now hoping to convert that battery to lithium battery bank of 18650s. My MPPT charge controller allows for user set charge settings so I should be able to set it up.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
Not to hijack the tread... but has anyone considered building their own lithium battery bank out of multiple 18650 batteries harvested from laptop battery packs?
I made a portable solar generator a few years back with a SLA battery and am now hoping to convert that battery to lithium battery bank of 18650s. My MPPT charge controller allows for user set charge settings so I should be able to set it up.

I have been looking into this for a while but have not yet started getting the stuff together.
I was going to use a snap clip system that people were raving about last year but the kit turned out to be less than reliable.
I dont think there is any way around getting a spot welder and I would want a lot of practice before building a battery to go under the drivers seat.
Seems like the ideal way to get the max amount of amp hours under there.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

It would be a hot ticket if a supplier could do a lithium in this form factor https://www.vmaxtanks.com/XTR34-75-12Volts-75AH-Deep-Cycle-XTREME-AGM-Battery_p_164.html which should fit under the drivers seat.

75ah should net around 60ah usable which would be a hot ticket for running a truckfrig for a couple days between charges. I am sure we'll get there, this century seems to be the century of the battery.
jseehorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Aux Battery Reply with quote

Has anyone looked into installing a battery pack under the floor on the RH side near the sliding door? (as opposed to the LH side where the propane tank is on a camper). I like the idea of preserving inside storage space.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: