Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Sports Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your comments.

Buggeee, I've started reading your thread and it's amazing. The work you've gone through on your engine is inspiring! Absolutely I want to do that to mine, but I also want to drive my car. I think, if the motor I have is at all close to passable, I think I'm going to just put it together and for the first iteration, it'll go in as is. Once the car is done and on the road, I'll grab a spare motor I have in storage and do a rebuild project on it. Good to know you like your conti's.

vamram, sorry to rub it in with the heated garage!

ROCKOROD71, Welcome back! Thanks for the compliment! Great idea on re-torquing the heads. Think I'll look at doing that. As for the exhaust and heaterboxes, I have a set all ceramic coated, so hopefully I'll be able to show you guys that soon!

Now, that we're on the topic of workin on the motor, got me thinking about digging into the manuals that I have. A couple (maybe 3) years ago, I scanned, OCR'd and indexed a complete original workshop service manual set for 1969-1976. They've just been sitting here on my HD getting minimal use.

I figured it might be nice to share it with you guys. How terrible would it be if I lost it after all that work, and so many of you guys reading this thread could really use this information. So, here are download links to it in all it's glory, service bulletins and all. Feel free to download, share it, give it to your friends! We all should have a complete set of these to reference when working on our cars!

VW.Workshop.Manuals.Complete.1969-1976 - PDFs
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ar7ntDYBL0u-gRQtbkuUQZuNAgzw

VW.Workshop.Manuals.Complete.1969-1976 ZIPPED
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ar7ntDYBL0u-gjc1a3wnp45Jr_NJ

Enjoy!

CWAVE

P.S. The URL command wasn't working, so you'll have to copy and paste it into your browser!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:

Enjoy!

CWAVE

GOLD!!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:

Enjoy!

CWAVE

Shocked Applause

Awesome!! However I am getting a notice saying you have reached your sharing limit- I am not well versed in how OneDrive works, any way to reshare these? Thanks!!

And fantastic work on the car BTW!!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
CWAVE wrote:

Enjoy!

CWAVE

Shocked Applause

Awesome!! However I am getting a notice saying you have reached your sharing limit- I am not well versed in how OneDrive works, any way to reshare these? Thanks!!

And fantastic work on the car BTW!!

hmmm...same.
that sucks, got excited for a second.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Nice. I chose one drive because I didn't see any limits to sharing. Clearly Microsoft is happily negating the usefulness of their free service. I shouldn't have expected more from Microsoft.

I'm going to have to find somewhere else to host these files. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CWAVE
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Google docs maybe?
Sorry I'm old and don't understand the cloud

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

No worries, I'll figure it out! Uploading the files to google drive now, and will post the share links as soon as they're up!

CWAVE
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

I was able to download them all before whatever the MS limit is was reached. I use one-drive as well, I can share them out if you have any issues w/google.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Vamram, that's great! Once any of you guys get them, please do help sharing to spread it to everyone who wants it.

Would be great if they could be made available from the samba.com in their archives. I wonder how we'd go about seeing if that's possible to make happen. It is a BIG download (over 6 gigs).

My upload to google drive is proceeding. As soon as the files are up, I'll post that link. For now, I'll leave the onedrive links in place, in case they lift the restriction. Will post the google drive links in about an hour or so (once the upload is complete).

CWAVE
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Let's try these links, see how long they last!

VW.Workshop.Manuals.Complete.1969-1976
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gRAruyQ0kgPByWlIiot63_60L4QRalsB

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H9uKNbDgqHx3DnxomZIb84zWzJcXYoKu

CWAVE
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

wow
thats....
alot of file!
I'm gonna need a few more ink cartridges!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Indexed!!! OMG your PDF management is as compulsive as your Sport Bug Masterpiece. Thanks CWave
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Yes, there's probably a name for the way I am. Heh.

Glad to see you guys are getting the files down. Hope it helps you guys out!

I've sent the download link to EverettB in hopes that he can host the files here somewhere for all time. That way 10 years from now people coming in could still find the files. Who knows where we'll be by then... hopefully still behind the wheel!

CWAVE
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

If I was you i wouldn't be hiding those awesome brakes behind the sports wheels. And I like those wheels Wink
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Granted, the brakes look awesome, I think I like the wheels more than the brakes! Very Happy

Got an update from the bodyshop this evening. Great news! They're slow in the bodyshop (doing their regular fender-bender work) and have been working a lot on my car.

They've taken the body down to bare metal, primed, blocked and going back to be primed again tomorrow. Fenders, hood and decklid are ready for paint. Doors are going in to be primed tomorrow.

Next week they said they're laying down the paint. Said the body will be done before Christmas... Being middle of November already, it's going to be soon I'm sure. I better get the rest of the front suspension parts ordered from Topline this week (ie: tomorrow)

They have been taking photos during their process so I'll have lots of photos to share with you guys when they give me the SD card.

Can't wait to see it in paint!

Thomas
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Got a little work done last weekend. Family business/plans impeded in my progress. That's ok though, I've been moving along alright.

This past weekend I had planned on doing a bit of powdercoating, so ended up having to re-arrange the garage a little so I could make that happen. The first parts I was planning to powdercoat were the lower control arms. As I was prepping them I noticed that I had failed to press out the original bushing collars (opposite end of the balljoint). Took a quick look around thesamba, and discovered that this was going to be a difficult task.

After hunting through my toolbox, I managed to find a socket the correct diameter to press them out with. I tell you, they were not coming out without a fight! The first one took 10 tons of pressure before it budged, and then when it released it let go so violently that it knocked the needle off the pressure gauge of my press. Scared the liver out of me when it let go. The other one started moving at about 5 tons. Think they've been in there for the full 44 years. After getting them popped out, here they are all powdercoated with a semigloss black.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Still with a little time left in the day, I cleaned up and powdercoated a few other parts. If you've been following the thread, you probably noticed that I had already done the pedal assembly. I wasn't satisfied with how it turned out, so I took another one I had down to bare metal and powdercoated it. I like the finish better, so am going to use this one instead. Also powdercoated the heater levers and the pedal stop. Was planning on doing the idler arm last weekend as well, but didn't get that far, ran out of time.

The plan on Sunday was to get the engine mounted on the transaxle and test the compression. Well, I got the engine on the transaxle but I had forgotten to charge up my battery... so there was no cranking it over on Sunday. Darn.

I did crank it over, testing one of the cylinders this morning before work only to read a very sad 76 pounds. ACK! That's not going to do. Thinking I may as well not bother checking the other ones. So, now I'm thinking that I'm going to have to do something about this engine. GEEZ, more work, more money!

Although I dont' have anything to test the endplay, it doesn't "feel" bad to me... I was thinking that perhaps I could get away with just replacing the cylinders, pistons and heads. While I was shopping for my additional suspension parts at Topline, I came across an offering they have:

http://toplineparts.com/vw-engine/1700cc-bolt-on-engine-kit-no-machine-work-required-10-1700.html

Wondering what you guys think of me just buying that and throwing it on the existing block. Going further on this engine has me a bit spooked as I've never done an engine before. Think I'd feel comfortable enough doing this, but don't know about splitting the case. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Did a bit of shopping last week, with a number of missing bits for my suspension from Topline, and Sewfine for my interior. Also decided to pick up a Retrosound Long Beach radio and Sirius tuner. Ordered it in all black with black knobs to blend in and look as neutral as possible in the dash. I like the look of it while still providing all of the modern conveniences of today's radios. Besides, how else will I be able to groove to sounds of the 70's and 80's without my sirius radio! Cool

One other thing that I wanted to throw out there to those keeping up with my thread. The motor that I'm working on doesn't seem to have the thermostat. The PO seems to have ripped out everything related to the thermostat including the flaps in the fan shroud. Thankfully I have a nice fan shroud with all that attached that I powdercoated a couple years back. Wondering if any of you guys have a spare thermostat and bracket that you'd be interested in selling me. Let me know if you do.

I'll post the numbers from the engine, if only for laughs... but if you've got some thoughts on that kit from Topline that I spotted, and my idea of simply bolting it onto the block I have, I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

Thomas
CWAVE
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

I don't think you are supposed to really "feel" the end play when it's in really good shape, just the micrometer reading.

The cost of diving into that motor is well within the bottom lower end of what you are doing with the rest of the car. The parts are not expensive and you DEFINITELY have the skillset.

Plus, you won't be driving that bug in the snow and salt this winter so there is some cabin fever to be managed. So...

A simple freshenning with stock 1600 type build? The sound of it starting whan you're done will put a smile on your face like nothing else. It's alive! My bug has no secrets now. None.

I found a machine shop to do the line bore on the case, inspect the crank and measure the bearing size. The rest of it was like Legos. All these dudes will post corrective, um... insights when they see something going sideways.

I don't think a 1700 kit will make it any more expensive or difficult. The jugs are a little thinner metal so it can fit in the case but this bug is not going to be a Taxi.

It's when you start machining the case and heads for bigger jugs and changing the rocker arm geometry that the math and money gets deep for me. Maybe on my next build though... (it's like that), for now I've got a year or two of body work to experience.

If you browse the first half of my thread you'll get a flavor for every fist-timer hiccup known to the free world and decide if you're up for it (you are).

The question really comes down to just this... do you want to do it? (I have my suspicions).

If you decide to do it blow a hundred bucks on a proper engine stand, my knees are still killing me (you were right Zudfolge1234, like a monkey with a football down there).

P.S. I have to start canvassing the neighborhood for an old oven, that powdercoat looks great.

P.P.S. If no one sends you a thermostat and bracket, you can get a proper German style set up at Awesome Powdercoat, here's a link

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/thermostat_new_used_rebuilt.html
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

First off, thanks Buggeee for your comments. Much appreciated!

Been sick this past week so haven't done much on the car, but still some progress was made none the less.

My Long Beach Retro Sound radio arrived with Sirius Tuner, so I'm pretty excited to see that on my doorstep. Next I'm going to have to find some nice speakers to set into the fiberglass kick panels I bought a while back. Any suggestions would be appreciated if you guys have found some top quality sounding speakers for your car in that location. Probably 6" or 8" round I suppose would fit in there. Haven't started looking into that yet.

So, the beginning of the week (just before I came down with a nasty cold), I did my compression test on my motor, and here are the numbers:

Cylinder #1 : 102 lbs
Cylinder #2 : 123 lbs
Cylinder #3 : 21 lbs ... YIKES!
Cylinder #4 : 85 lbs

So, I've been thinking about this motor all week. The plugs didn't look bad at all, so started thinking that it could be one of two things. Rings or valves (hoping for valves). This morning I went out to the garage to check the valves. There was no gap at all on the compression stroke on the three cylinders with low values, so I decided to do a valve adjustment and try the compression test again.

When I loosened up #3, it actually took almost 2 screwdriver rotations just to get the lifter off the valve. Crazy! I adjusted all the valves, then did the test again, and got these values.

Cylinder #1 : 125 lbs
Cylinder #2 : 129 lbs
Cylinder #3 : 125 lbs
Cylinder #4 : 121 lbs

Whew! I was over the moon! So happy that I don't have to look at doing a motor job this year, as I wanted to focus on everything but rebuilding the engine. That I wanted to leave for a subsequent year. Now I can move forward as planned! I can't believe the engine actually ran originally with the valves set like that. Here's a video of the engine when it ran last. I think you can hear a miss, probably cylinder #3.

Link

I managed to negotiate a deal with a vendor in the classifieds for a thermostat, bracket, rod and hardware. Everything outstanding that I need to move ahead with the motor. Paid for speedy delivery, so it should hopefully be here in a week or so.

So that's about all the progress I have to report this week. Still feel out of sorts so I won't be working on the car likely until next weekend. If I feel energetic, I might do some powder coating in the evenings next week as the weather is supposed to be rather mild. Would be a great time to process some more parts.

Thomas

Last edited by CWAVE on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

That's great news CW!!! Get well.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Gave the bodyshop a call yesterday, and true to their word, it looks like the body is going to be ready for pickup next weekend. Said everything is ready for paint and will be going into the booth on Monday. Said all the jambs are painted already. Quite excited about seeing it. He's been taking photos he said throughout the process and will give me the SD card when I come for it. Will share all the photos here when I get them.

Got to work first thing this morning. In preparation for next weekend there are a few things that I wanted to have wrapped up, so I got to work.

First thing was to drain the engine oil, clean everything down there and refill with fresh oil. That oil looked like it had been run for a very long time. Lots of sludge on the oil plate and the strainer was pretty filthy. Also had to clean off the remnants of a few old oil change gaskets. The PO of this engine wasn't all that particular it seems. I let the engine drain for a couple hours, then after cleaning everything in gas, re-assembled with some nice new German gaskets and copper washers.

Once the engine is assembled and I can fire it up, I'll run it for a short while, then drain this oil out and fill it again. Want to make sure I get the case nicely rinsed out.

After that, I installed the frame head reinforcement piece. Had to run a tap through all 8 bolt locations as I had gotten some POR-15 in there. A bit of anti-seize compound and it's not going anywhere.

I then turned my attention to the heater controls. They went on really well. Glad I powdercoated the handles, think they look really nice. The cables connected fine, and run really smoothly. I used some lithium grease on the handles, and the cables were greased as I ran them through, so everything moves super smooth! The knobs I have are in terrible shape however. I do believe I have some better ones in a box somewhere. Once I come across them I'll swap them out.

Next was installing the pedal assembly. I really wanted to have that done before I put the body back on knowing it's easier to install with the body off! Went on pretty smoothly.

Lastly, I needed to free up the rear body mount bolts. They were pretty miserable to get out, and haven't gotten better with the introduction of some POR-15 leaking onto the threads. That was about an hour and a half worth of work for both sides. Well worth it though, as I can now spin them in (with a bit of effort) by hand on both sides.

Pretty pleased with today's progress. Still going to have to figure out where to stash some of the stuff in my garage when the body comes home. That's for another day.

Thomas
CWAVE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: