Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Sports Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment! I most certainly will keep at it. I have a pretty strong desire to be driving this car next summer, so I'll have to keep up the momentum.

Boosten Ya(Josh) wrote:
Great work. Looks like you have some skills. Keep chugging away. I cant wait to see how this turns out.

Unexpectedly I managed to find a couple hours today and got another hole patched. This time it's the second of the dual carb access holes the PO had augered into the side of the drivers rear wheel well. I had kept some metal from an old rotted out hood and used that. MAN, is that OG steel good. Was a pleasure to weld.

It's unlikely that I'm going to find any hours the rest of this week, but my plan is to start early Saturday morning in an attempt to get the rest of the "welding" repairs completed by the end of the weekend (hopefully by the end of Saturday).

Here's the most recent accomplishment...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm beginning to contemplate separating the body from the pan. Reason being, then I could get to work on prepping the pan while the body is off getting painted. Certainly could be a bit easier to work on with the body off for running the brake lines, fuel and making sure there's no lurking rust holes anywhere.

Wondering what your guys opinion is on the matter... Although I've never separated a body from the pan, I have watched the bugme videos and it doesn't seem like it's all that difficult to do.

CWAVE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another productive day.

Started the day today completing the last patches. As anticipated, the rust wasn't as bad on this side, so the repair panel ended up being considerably smaller.

Funny thing, as I was welding the small patch inside the rear fenderwell, I thought... You should check to see if anything is burning inside. Well on the inner fender well there was still some of that felt stuff remaining from when I ripped the carpeting on. That was all well engulfed in flames. Heh. Caught it early and patted it out. No harm. It's been a good practice that I've gotten into of keeping an eye on the inside as I'm welding away.

After completing that (at around 3pm), figured I'd try separating the body from the pan. Been contemplating this all week, and by the time today arrived I decided to commit to pulling the body off the pan.

Happy to report that every bolt came out without issue. Nothing twisted off. Was so impressed. The front suspension also came off without any problems at all. Cotter pins all slid out, and all the tie rod ends all just popped out.

Once that was done, and all the bolts were out, tagged and bagged, I tried separating the body from the pan and apart it came. Awesome!

So... on to 45 minutes of musical-junk, as I had to move stuff around to get my chop saw and stand out so I could cut the lumber for the body support. As I'm setting everything up, it starts getting windier and starts snowing... By the time I finish cutting all the pieces it's a full on blizzard. GAWD. There was an inch of snow on the chop saw by the time I start packing that up. Murphy's law.

Got all the pieces cut though (hopefully it'll all screw together as planned). Didn't get to assemble anything today as it was getting late.

Packed everything away for the night.

Tomorrow I'll assemble the body stand and with luck it'll fit and you'll see photos of the body separated from the pan.

Been looking at the patches I did on the sides above the running boards, and have decided that it's going to need a bit more body filler than I'm comfortable with... so I've decided to lead both of those areas, to get it as close as I can to the original body lines. That'll minimize the amount of filler the body shop will need in that area. Hopefully just the thinnest of a skim coat is what I'm shooting for. So that'll be something coming up too.

CWAVE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Good job...Keep it up!

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Looks great....can't wait to see how you lift the body onto the stand you are making!
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew... that was a bit of work. The body is now officially separated from the pan. I think the height of the stand is going to be great for working on the underside of the body and cleaning up the fenderwells... but for paint, I think I'm going to drop it right down to about 16" off the ground.

Here's the stand that I built. And you'll see in later photos, I also built it so I can store the pan (for the time being) under the body. Next Friday I plan on putting the pan in my trailer in storage. That'll give me better all around access to the car if it's not here. Once the body is at the body shop, then I'll bring the pan home and get to work on that. Then I'll only bring the body back once the pan is done and ready to go.

As for lifting the car onto the stand, it actually was pretty easy. Rather than using jacks, a buddy of mine came over and we just lifted the car onto it. I'd imagine once I get more of the stuff out of the car and (dash, glass etc etc), it should get even lighter.

Here it is at the end of the work day today. Might not look like a lot, but this took me all day!!!

CWAVE
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

You keep finding the only Sport Bugs in Alberta. I am envious of your skills.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks... yes I cannot believe my luck in tracking down my favorite superbeetle.

19super73 wrote:
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
Thanks... yes I cannot believe my luck in tracking down my favorite superbeetle.

19super73 wrote:

And mine. you must share your skills
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought there would have been that many in Alberta to begin with. I believe each dealer received about six - three of each colour. Smaller dealers less so. Maybe they just all landed up there for some reason.

We bought ours in Winnipeg in mid May 1973. Only stayed there for 5 months, thank god. It was never really exposed to any serious winter weather. Still alive and well and living a very sheltered life these days on the West Coast.

Nice to see another one coming back to life. Keep up the great work!!
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Man, does yours look fantastic. I hope mine looks close to yours when it's finished, I'd be so proud.

What brand and size tires are you running on your Sports Bug?

I consider myself quite fortunate to have a yellow one and a blue one. The yellow one will get my attention some day, but for now I'm well on my way with this Marathon Sports Bug.

CWAVE
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Continental. 195/65 rear and 175/65 front.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

So, work has continued... baby steps forward.

First thing that was done since the last update was that I've moved the pan into an enclosed trailer, so it's now residing in storage until I'm finished with the body and it's off to the body shop.

Today I wanted to start working on cleaning up the wheel wells. Starting on the driver side front, I wanted to get the steering box bolts out... That started a half day journey removing the gas heater, gas tank, and eventually the steering box. No real surprises except that I'm continued to be surprised at how nice this car is in for it's age. Did discover that the car was in a bit of a fender bender at some time in the past, as there's some repair work on the passenger side fender well. Nothing too bad, but will need to remove a few remaining wrinkles.

I was however surprised at my success in separating the exhaust elbow on the gas heater exhaust pipe. I wanted to preserve it so I ended up spending more than an hour working to separate it from the pipe without damaging anything. I was successful.

Here's a shot with the fuel tank and gas heater removed.

Kinda crazy, but it seems the previous owner had completely disabled the circulation system. The fan box had foam jammed into the duct leading into the car. Looking behind the dash, there seems to be quite a bit of ducting missing too. Guess I'll have a bit of work to do in there to figure out what's missing and what will go where when I re-assemble.

So, once I got through all this, I cleaned up the one wheel well, ground down all of the rusty areas, de-greased it and gave it a quick shot of primer.

I did discover a bit of perforation in the sheetmetal around the bumper bracket, so that's an area that's going to need a little metal replacement. Actually three spots in around there that I'll be repairing. Didn't get to it today... Another day.

CWAVE
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Got to spend a couple days working on the car since the last update. Work on the wheel wells continues. Finding more areas that need patching, but nothing huge or really unexpected.

The hope is that next weekend I'll be able to finish with the wheel wells so that I can move on to stripping out the rest of the interior and glass.

CWAVE
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

This was my favorite car of all time, got the Marathon Blue after finishing college. Had it for 8 years, traded at some point, I wish to this day I had kept it, but life moves on, wife ,kids, house. I have always kept a VW aircooled of some sort for fun, currently we hace a 73 Thing. Good luck with yours, I have years of memories of travel all over the USA and Canada in mine.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

I just loved mine when I got mine as a teen. That was in Ontario, and it was a giant pile of rust already by the time I got it. The salt was very unforgiving.. Loved it the few years it lasted.

Did you buy yours new? Maybe this is your old car... Very Happy

I look forward to making lots of great memories in this car. It's already been an interesting journey the short time I've been getting to know it...

CWAVE

[email protected] wrote:
This was my favorite car of all time, got the Marathon Blue after finishing college. Had it for 8 years, traded at some point, I wish to this day I had kept it, but life moves on, wife ,kids, house. I have always kept a VW aircooled of some sort for fun, currently we hace a 73 Thing. Good luck with yours, I have years of memories of travel all over the USA and Canada in mine.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

I have one in practically identical condition, same color, same rust, etc! It could be twins, I mean creepy identical! Will follow you with great anticipation. Surprised
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Cool. Do you have any photos you can share of yours?

The next update will be after next Saturday as I plan on spending the better part of the day with my slowly recovering Sports Bug!

CWAVE

mascrappo wrote:
I have one in practically identical condition, same color, same rust, etc! It could be twins, I mean creepy identical! Will follow you with great anticipation. Surprised
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
Cool. Do you have any photos you can share of yours?

The next update will be after next Saturday as I plan on spending the better part of the day with my slowly recovering Sports Bug!

CWAVE

mascrappo wrote:

When I first opened the page, I said MY BUG! No kidding, mine had chrome headlight rings, (paint had worn off) as well as chrome front turn signals, and chrome outside mirror. I did an Earl Scheib on headlight rings and found a genuine VW black outside mirror replacement, otherwise it was is/just as yours. Your car is my car, just different location. I will try to upload a pic soon.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Excellent, look forward to seeing your mirror-image Sportsbug!

CWAVE

mascrappo wrote:
When I first opened the page, I said MY BUG! No kidding, mine had chrome headlight rings, (paint had worn off) as well as chrome front turn signals, and chrome outside mirror. I did an Earl Scheib on headlight rings and found a genuine VW black outside mirror replacement, otherwise it was is/just as yours. Your car is my car, just different location. I will try to upload a pic soon.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
Excellent, look forward to seeing your mirror-image Sportsbug!

CWAVE

mascrappo wrote:

I cannot readily find my older pics, computer died last year and sadly they may have gone with it. If I can find pics when I bought it, it had faded chrome headlight rings and outside mirror, you will get a kick out of it. My first thought seeing yours was it was my bug when the second owner purchased it several years ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: