Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Sports Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've posted any tangible updates. This has been because I've been in the process of moving to another town. As such, the VW has ended up on the back burner.

I did manage to get the majority of the carpet installed, as well as the seats.

Just before I needed to vacate the garage for the last time, the job at hand was to get the car running so I could drive it into the trailer for transport into storage. Once I connected the ignition wires in the correct sequence (duh), the engine fired right up. Remarkably, I don't remember ever having a beetle that started as quickly as this one does. The starter barely begins to turn over and the engine is running. Very pleased.

Here is a video of the engine running for the first time.

Link

After getting it off the tire dolly's I backed it out of the garage and into the trailer. I'll call this, albeit small, the first drive... And it was a success.

Link

Unfortunately, where I've moved to, I don't yet have a garage... so the car remains in storage. The list to complete before I can get the inspection and register it is quite short.

Horn
Door panels
Hood latch
Trim
Get a better bleed on the brakes... still a little soft

Should be able to knock that out in short order once the builder constructs my garage. Hoping to still have it on the road this year, however, the weather here has been abysmal this summer. Raining every day, and that's impacting the builder...

Anyways, this is where I'm at. Will update once things start moving again.

Thomas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Wow Thomas you have to be so pleased with the results of your project Very Happy. You have a brand new Sports Bug!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Awesome! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

I sure am pleased to be almost at the finish line. Bit of a bummer though that I am not going to be able to finish the car for a while yet. Probably going to be a good month before I can bring the car home.

Thomas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted anything about the car. My Sportsbug is still in the same condition it was July of last year, and has been sitting in an enclosed car trailer since. We ended up moving to a new town, and to this day, I still don't have garage space to bring the car home to finish it up. Sad

My goal is to have the car back home in July, so that I can finish the last few things that need to be done. SO looking forward to driving the car. I've been so close to the finish line for so long now...

Thomas
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Please post updates when you can. What a beautiful Super Beetle Sports Bug!
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Please post updates when you can. What a beautiful Super Beetle Sports Bug!

Absolutely. I will make sure that my build thread concludes with showing the completion of my Sportsbug!

I'm very motivated to get this car done. I've spent so much time on it already, I need to see this through this year!

Thomas
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! You've gone this far, I'm sure you can finish it! Cool
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Well it's been a LONG time, over a year, since I've seen my Sports Bug at home. The time finally came where I had a garage, and there was room for it to reside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I brought it home, I parked it at the front of the house, and drove it down the street and around and down the alley to my garage out back. The car runs great (and although I haven't gotten it out of second yet) even without an alignment it's feeling good.

Starting the car after it sat unattended to for over a year in my enclosed trailer, I thought it might not want to start. Well, the battery still had a full charge. Just had to crank it for about for about three,3-4 second cranks before I sprang to life. Now that it's started, it runs with the first turn of the key, literally as fast as my "R" does. Never had a beetle that starts as quickly and smoothly as this car.

Since getting the car home, I haven't done TOO much yet. I did also bring home all of my parts, and spent a good day sorting through them (everything got so misplaced during the move). Managed to find what I need to complete the car, so things are looking up.

One thing that I did fix were the wipers. I had bought brand new wiper blades (Bosch ones) from CIP1. Great looking blades, but the adapters that came with them, none of them were compatible with the wiper arms. I mean, they fit, but they wouldn't "click" into place. 1 or 2 wipes and they'd fall off. Shez. That's no good for taking to a safety inspection.

Going through my parts, I found an old set of wiper blades, and luckily, the adapters on those worn out blades fit on the new Bosch ones. Now they click in place as they should. WHEW.

Still in the middle of trying to get a whole ton of outdoor work done while the weather is good, but I do plan on finding some time yet to get this car finished.

For those still following and interested in seeing this to the end, thanks for your patience!

Thomas
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

good to see you back at it!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Dancing It's home!
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Been getting back into my Sportsbug work (FINALLY). I'd like to have it ready for inspection/registration by sometime in May. Been picking away at it for about a week off and on now, and managed to strike a few things off the list.

1. The aluminum registration plate that is riveted to the left of the hood latch mechanism has been lost for years. I'd spent days hunting for it to no avail. Having gone through a move to a new home, I figured it was gone forever. Well, to my surprise, I found it in the box that had my retrosound radio in it. I guess I figured by the time I get around to installing the radio, it'll be time to put the plate back on the car. That was the one thing that I had been missing. Glad to have it back on the car.

While I was in the area, I connected the release cable for the hood. Ran a good strong string in there too, so I can release it if I don't get the cable just right. I haven't had the courage to push down and lock the hood yet.

2. I had cleaned up and painted all the trim last fall, and wanted to give the paint a good long time to cure. Well, it got more time that I had originally planned. Regardless, it was time to install it all. I found (as many of you have likely encountered), that the holes for the little plastic clips are too small once the car has been re-painted. I pondered that one for a while. Eventually, with an olfa, I trimmed down the legs of every one of the clips so that they fit nicely in the holes. I didn't want to damage the paint in the hole, and possibly introduce a place where rust could form... It was a time consuming (and painful process when I drove the blade into my finger near the end of the process). But, I'll heal and the beetle is better for the effort.

3. Went around the car and did some touching up where I carelessly damaged the paint. Some areas behind the headlight ring, and around the bumper bracket holes in the front fenders. There are a couple spots in that area on the back that I haven't gotten to yet.

4. I had not gotten to testing the horn, and again carelessly, I never bothered checking that circuit before I put the car back together, so I'd been dreading this part, as it's enough to fail the car on it's inspection and has the promise of been a tough one.

Initial testing proved my fear, that it didn't work. Hmmm, BUT I'm happy to say that after about an hour of troubleshooting I managed to work out the kinks and the beetle beeps just fine now. I had bought a set of air horns, but in the end have opted for an original horn. I love the sound.

5. Next I wanted to put the rubber grommets around the bumper brackets as they go through the fenders. Took the front bumper off only to find that I only had rear grommets. Duh! Had I not taken years between working on the car, I would have remembered that. Hopped onto the CIP1 site, and ordered that and a few other pieces I need. So, as I wait for that, I moved onto the next item on the list.... MUSIC!

6. Started assembling the RetroSound radio. Haven't got it wired in yet, but did need to do a little bit of rerouting on the fusebox. The accessory location on the panel didn't have any wires to it, so I wired that up then moved to starting to assemble the radio and dismantel the interior so I have room to work more easily.

I noticed that the RetroSound radio has a USB connection (presumably so I can plug a stick of music into it). That got me thinking. What if I used the blank switch location (that would normally contain a foglight switch). I don't have that switch and no plans on installing foglights, so figured that might be a nice location that won't stand out.

I've been working on the design. Right now, I just have the blank designed, but will next be working on the USB portion. If there's room I'll also design an aux plug into it as well.

I rendered it in red so you can see the details. I've come up with a way to print it nicely so the arms are nice and flexible like the originals. Still a bit more work to go on it though.

And on the same idea of 3D design, I next looked at how to install the package tray behind the rear seat that will also hold my speakers. I didn't want to use an ugly metal bracket, so came up with a pair of custom bracket designs . The idea I had (and I don't know if that's how it's meant to be installed) was to install it at a bit of an angle, tipping the front edge down thus angling the speakers more to be pointing to the front of the car. We'll see how it turns out, but the brackets are done. Will be installing them soon.

Here's a photo of the tray that I bought for the car.

That's about it for where I'm at right now. Will work on the car a few hours a day (as much time as I can spare).

I wondering if anyone is following this build anymore... Having been away from my car for such a long time, I can really say that it's been a fun reunion thus far. I really love this car. For sure my favorite beetle I've ever had the pleasure of owning (and I've never driven it yet), but that will happen this summer. We'll have lots of fun.

Thomas
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Enjoyed the update on this phenomenal build. Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

I'm still following along! Helps keep me motivated to pick away at my own projects.
Lately I've just been degreasing and sorting old hardware. It's not much, but it's something!
Your Sports-Bug is looking great!
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:

I wondering if anyone is following this build anymore... Having been away from my car for such a long time, I can really say that it's been a fun reunion thus far. I really love this car. For sure my favorite beetle I've ever had the pleasure of owning (and I've never driven it yet), but that will happen this summer. We'll have lots of fun.

Thomas

Great work Thomas. This build is a new one to me so I have really enjoyed reading it today. I wished I had seen from the start and followed because as I was reading, when you got to the part of doing the bakerlite heater pipes under the rear seat I thought, “ooh no, he’s not put them on before the body goes on the pan.” I did think straight away though, perhaps Thomas has a cunning plan up his sleeve and I’ve missed it, I did feel for you though when you posted up what you had to do. It’s the sort of thing that should be ingrained in a humans dna like, “ don’t eat the yellow snow!” Make sure you put the bakerlite’s on first Very Happy

I do think your seat upholstery should be sticky, very comprehensive and well written. Upholstery guys may think otherwise but for a man in his garage, working on “the people’s car” it’s a great how too.

You may find the link below useful regarding your hood as you guys call it. It’s a get out of jail fix for if your cable mechanism fails, may be worth a read? Yet to do it to mine but it’s on the to do list.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692980

Phil

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Buggeee, VeeDubWolf : Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear it's keeping you motivated.

Offtherailz1: Thanks for your post. Yes, I really was kicking myself when I realized those needed to go onto the body BEFORE the pan was mated again. That was a huge OMG what do I do now event. Yes, as you saw, I managed to make it work, and that ordeal ended well. I did get very close in my mind to pulling the body off again. Thank-you also for the link. Enjoyed reading how they did the alternate hood release. I think that's something that I too will be doing. I don't have any materials to make it happen yet. Might use a spare throttle cable I have for starters, but don't have those crimp pieces or a tool to do that. Quickly looked around town (online) and couldn't find anyone with it. I'll keep hunting to see what I can find.

Update:

So, I completed the brackets for the speaker/parcel tray behind the seat (never know what to call that thing). Anyways, I just double checked, and there is no way I could even mount it straight as it turns out. If I did, anyone sitting in the back seat would bash their back on the front edge. I never saw different sizes, so not quite sure why it doesn't fit that way. None-the-less, I like it tipped in a bit. Seems to make the whole piece a little less imposing back there. The front edge of the tray drops just beneath the back edge of the seat. I'll end up covering the back of the seat, so nothing should look "unfinished" when looking in through the rear window.

The brackets that I made printed out nicely, and seem to fit well (they're just sitting there held in place by the weight of the tray). I like how it looks, so I'll be screwing them in place. Think I'm going to design a support bracket or two that will mount to the back of the seat to give the center a bit of support as well. The back is well supported by the body beneath the rear window.

The USB connector that fits in the empty switch location is coming along nicely. Still have a little bit of work to do, to modify the design so it prints a bit nicer. The opening for the USB plug is a tiny bit rough, however, a little sanding and paint should make all that go away. I will work on it a bit more to make it better. But for now, it is perfectly functional, and fits all of my USB sticks including the widest ones I have, so I'm pleased with the solution. As you can see, it just clips into place like an OG switch. I designed the springy arms to work in the exact same manner. I embedded brass heatsets into the piece that allows me to screw the USB panel cable to the back of the piece. Clips in nice and tight into the bezel.

Anyways that's it for today. Other things took my attention. Do plan on getting a bit more work done this coming weekend. Even if it's a small thing, I want to accomplish something regularly.

Thomas
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

I've nothing of note to say, just that I appreciate your update and continue to be impressed with your ongoing story. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by creative native on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

That USB port is slick! Gonna have all the Super-Beetle folks wanting one.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Just curious about where the week/day build plate is if your registration plate is on top. On my SB the week/day plate is where your registration plate is and the regi plate is lower. I am really hoping it is there as I want to see when yours was made. Mine was made exactly 48 years ago today.

CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Once I get that USB part refined, then I'll likely do a separate post for it, as not everyone that might be interested in knowing about it would likely find it buried in my thread.

WRT the production plate, strangely enough, the locations of the registration plate and production plate are reversed from what you have on your car pittwagen. It seems that my Sportsbug came off the production line the day after yours (if I'm reading the plate correctly). Mine says that it was built on the 10th week, 5th day. That would make it's birthday March 9th, 1973 if I'm interpreting it correctly.

I'll do another post later in the week with my progress so far. Been picking away at the list, and have a few more things done now.

Thomas

pittwagen wrote:
Just curious about where the week/day build plate is if your registration plate is on top. On my SB the week/day plate is where your registration plate is and the regi plate is lower. I am really hoping it is there as I want to see when yours was made. Mine was made exactly 48 years ago today.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: