Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Sports Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks very much and for everyone who followed along.

Here's a parting shot of the restoration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thomas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Beautiful! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE, I just read the entire 16 page build this morning. I'm absolutely impressed!
I'm perhaps 1/3 into my 72 SB build. If I had welding skills I'd be working on some of the rot on the body instead of waiting for something to do. Alas, I taught myself just enough to weld up some of the small holes in my pans. I'm currently waiting on my Rancho Pro Drag trans to show up so I can finish up my frame and anticipate dropping off the body at Cookers Restoration and Fabrication in Virginia. All in all, it looks like I'm doing almost exactly the same thing you did with a few minor differences. This is my first VW build (2nd VW) so I read a lot of build posts to either get ideas or motivation. And I pay very close attention to the JBugs videos as well.
Thanks for posting so many photos and narrative. I think a lot of your post is actually going to help me in some areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thomas. THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! Very well done!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the comments.

r6kid, are you documenting your build here on thesamba? Wouldn't mind following along your build.

Thomas

r6kid wrote:
CWAVE, I just read the entire 16 page build this morning. I'm absolutely impressed!
I'm perhaps 1/3 into my 72 SB build. If I had welding skills I'd be working on some of the rot on the body instead of waiting for something to do. Alas, I taught myself just enough to weld up some of the small holes in my pans. I'm currently waiting on my Rancho Pro Drag trans to show up so I can finish up my frame and anticipate dropping off the body at Cookers Restoration and Fabrication in Virginia. All in all, it looks like I'm doing almost exactly the same thing you did with a few minor differences. This is my first VW build (2nd VW) so I read a lot of build posts to either get ideas or motivation. And I pay very close attention to the JBugs videos as well.
Thanks for posting so many photos and narrative. I think a lot of your post is actually going to help me in some areas.

CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Well, I've been driving the car for a couple months now. No big problems at all. Started teaching my son to drive on the car, so it's been getting pretty much daily use which is tons of fun.

I figured this length of time shaking the car down in and around town was enough that I felt it was time to see what the car would do on the highway. Being a Sunday afternoon traffic was light so I wound out the little car.

Merging onto the highway went very well. Although it's not a rocket by any stretch of the imagination with the 1600cc motor it has, it got up to 110kph just fine to merge into traffic. I then put my foot into it and managed to get it up to 132kph before I was slowed down by traffic. The car felt like it still had a little more to give at 82mph, however, I was already at 3900 RPM, so I suspect it probably wouldn't have had much more to give. I thought that maybe I could have hit 90mph.

Speedo showed that I topped out at 82mph. The kph speeds noted are from my GPS dashcam, so my speedo turns out to be very accurate (at least at that speed it is).

In terms of stability and ride, I have to say it felt (without the word of a lie) as smooth as a modern car. There were no shakes at all, the car drove dead straight, no squeaks or rattles. Just a dead smooth ride. Guess I did it right. Super thrilled with how the car has performed these past couple months, and how it performed on the highway today.

I'll download the dashcam footage and post it when it's ready so you can see for yourself what the drive on the highway was like!

This summer my son and I took the car to a non-judged show'n'shine. That was fun. Alot of people like the car, and heard a lot of stories from people recounting their early days of driving in a beetle. These cars sure bring back memories for folks.

A couple things that I'm going to have to address this winter with the car. The car either runs too fast at idle or tapers down to nothing and stalls. I'm thinking it's time to do a carb rebuild and clean. Also, the odometer as it turns out doesn't work in my speedo. So I'll probably change out the speedo for a metric one this winter. I was originally going to put a metric one in the car but for some reason forgot about that when I was putting the car together. The dead odometer is a good reason then to deal with that this coming winter.

Ended up getting an appraisal for the insurance company on the car. I was surprised that it came out to being valued at $38,000. Can you imagine... for a 1973 Sports Bug. Wow.

Been having a great time with the car. Hopefully we have a nice long fall coming up so we can continue to drive for another month or two if we're lucky.

Thomas
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

There’s a guy in the Samba Classifieds who fixes our odometer/speedometers. You might want to check that out.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Reached pretty much the end of the driving season where I live. I can't say how far I've driven my Sportsbug this year, as I didn't want to take the time (and take the car off the road) to replace the speedo. That'll be one of the winter projects.

Since the springtime when I put the car on the road, it's been a dream to drive. Not one problem (of any significance) at all. Starts every time, hasn't used any oil worth noting, and even the bit of oil leaking has subsided considerably since driving it fairly regularly.

Here is a photo from yesterday when I was coming back from grocery shopping.

The list of work for this winter is quite short.

#1:
Idling is quite temperamental. When the car is warm, it hunts running fast then real slow (many time stalling if you don't catch it). When it's cold it does the same but to a lesser degree. Plan on going over the ignition system and rebuild the carburator. I'm figuring refreshing these things should fix that.

#2:
Replace the speedometer. I was originally planning on putting the speedo in there with KPH rather than MPH, but I don't know how I overlooked that. Anyways, it's gotta happen because the odometer as I'd mentioned, doesn't work.

#3:
The horn is feeble sounding, so I bought a replacement Hella OEM horn, so that'll be replaced.

#4:
The windshield sprayer is a little incontinent, so I've bought a replacement valve that I'll put in. Keeping the original sprayer connected to the tire because it's cool.

#5:
Might take on connecting the gas heater. It's all installed, but I never hooked fuel up to it. Not that I'll ever drive the car when I'd need it to work, but still it SHOULD be connected and working.

Otherwise, just the usual. I'll go over everything. Make sure everything otherwise is still good for the start of next years driving.

For now, I haven't pulled the plug yet. There still might be a few more nice days left where I can cruise in my absolutely FAVORITE car!

Thomas
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
#4:
The windshield sprayer is a little incontinent, so I've bought a replacement valve that I'll put in.
Keeping the original sprayer connected to the tire because it's cool.

Yay! Applause Cool
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

p.smitty wrote:
Sorry to "jump in" so late, but I just had my Sports Bug seats restored. I didn't attempt to do it myself since I have NO experience in that area.
I found the proper German corduroy at GTS Seats in Austin, Texas and then took the seats to a local upholsterer. He stitched the seams instead using heat. They look as close to original as possible.

Pictures to follow if desired.

I would be interested in seeing the corduroy that you found in Austin. What do you mean by "the proper German corduroy"? The corduroy used in the Supers and Sport (Super) Bugs was the same material. I have a Super built for the German market and it came with cloth (Dark Blue corduroy) seating surfaces. My car was painted Marina Blue and only came with dark blue fabric or dark blue vinyl. The original fabric is 10-wale corduroy; that is 10 ribs per inch. Corduroy isn't a German fabric. It is a traditional English fabric and the number of ribs is always described in wales per inch. If I remember correctly corduroy was developed in Wales and originally used for work clothing and light coats.
I have a Bulgarian friend I originally met on TheSamba and he restored his father's Sport Bug. It originally came with black corduroy seating surfaces and black vinyl seat trim. He couldn't find the original color but his sister who worked for a fashion house was able to find 10-wale corduroy in 100% polyester and one of her friends dyed it for him. An upholsterer made new seat covers using the original worn out upholstery for patterns. His Sport Bug had the spoke steel wheels too. I will try to locate his pictures and post them.

This is what my seats look like. They are darker than they appear in the pictures though it has faded.
The second picture shows the button tufting marks in the original front seat cushion. The third is what the car looked like soon after it awoke from it's 39 year nap while it was still in Germany and before the stainless trim was lost. Yes, that is stainless steel trim in the windshield rubber. There was similar stainless steel trim in the other window rubber. Trying to find replacement pieces today.

The last picture is the measurement in wales @10-wales per inch.

DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
It's been a while since I've posted any tangible updates. This has been because I've been in the process of moving to another town. As such, the VW has ended up on the back burner.
Here is a video of the engine running for the first time.

Link

Unfortunately, where I've moved to, I don't yet have a garage... so the car remains in storage. The list to complete before I can get the inspection and register it is quite short.
Thomas

You have a very sharp looking Sport Bug. One question keeps bugging me though, why didn't you paint the fender welt or bead body color? There is an additive for the paint that makes it flexible and is perfect for fender bead painting. The additive is the same material that is used to paint the urethane plastic bumpers on more modern cars and trucks. It is the same material I used to paint the rear fender bead on my 1951 Studebaker Champion years ago. The fender bead on it was not like the VW material. The bead I used on my Studebaker was twisted paper covered by a rubber treated fabric. When painted the weave disappeared. This was the same stuff used in the pre-war and post-war years for many American and European automobiles.

If you check out the pictures I posted at the last page here where I am describing the upholstery in my '72 Super, you can see a picture of my car when it came out of its 39 year nap. You can see the blue fender bead too.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment.

The reason why the fender bead (welt) is not painted is because that part of the car was never originally painted. It was always the plain black plastic material. Typically (here in Canada) if you saw a beetle with the fender bead painted, it denoted someone that didn't bother taking it out when they repainted the car.

I like the look of the black between the fender and body, as it looks like it's supposed to look and the way it came from the factory.

DesignBuild wrote:
You have a very sharp looking Sport Bug. One question keeps bugging me though, why didn't you paint the fender welt or bead body color? There is an additive for the paint that makes it flexible and is perfect for fender bead painting. The additive is the same material that is used to paint the urethane plastic bumpers on more modern cars and trucks. It is the same material I used to paint the rear fender bead on my 1951 Studebaker Champion years ago. The fender bead on it was not like the VW material. The bead I used on my Studebaker was twisted paper covered by a rubber treated fabric. When painted the weave disappeared. This was the same stuff used in the pre-war and post-war years for many American and European automobiles.

If you check out the pictures I posted at the last page here where I am describing the upholstery in my '72 Super, you can see a picture of my car when it came out of its 39 year nap. You can see the blue fender bead too.

DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
Thanks for your comment.

The reason why the fender bead (welt) is not painted is because that part of the car was never originally painted. It was always the plain black plastic material. Typically (here in Canada) if you saw a beetle with the fender bead painted, it denoted someone that didn't bother taking it out when they repainted the car.

I like the look of the black between the fender and body, as it looks like it's supposed to look and the way it came from the factory.

DesignBuild wrote:

The picture of my '72 is actually above this discussion but I will put it here again. The bead material is a solid color in the plastic. Factory colored fender bead wasn't painted but was body color through and through. Fender bead on European cars were body color as were the rest of the Supers in later years as well as the special Beetles. I really don't think VW assembled car destined for North America with only black fender bead when the other cars assembled were getting bead that matched the body color. Many times if work was done on one or more fenders the original colored bead was replaced with black material.
I have a copy of the microfiche for the 1302 and 1303 models and they all show colored bead for these models. So before you restored the car it may have been black but that isn't the way the cars came from the factory.

DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Take a look at factory press photos in the archives on TheSamba or any of the brochures for the 1972, 1973, 1974, etc. and see if any have black fender bead. You will find only pictures of the Beetle or Super Beetle with body colored fender beading. Even the factory photos are obviously not black fender bead even when the pictures are in black and white.

The fender bead on every 1973 Beetle or Super Beetle only came in body color from the factory and there are hundreds of photos on TheSamba to prove it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

What a phenomenal build this was! That silvery Sport Bug paint turned out so nice. I'm glad the thread got bumped so I could be reminded of your success and pick up on that energy. It will be a good day today for my VW!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
What a phenomenal build this was! That silvery Sport Bug paint turned out so nice. I'm glad the thread got bumped so I could be reminded of your success and pick up on that energy. It will be a good day today for my VW!!!

Indeed this is one of those builds that leave me shaking my head in awe and humility. And there are quite a few here.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

DesignBuild, Bottom line is, I don't care for body colored fender beading, and it's never happening on my car, so let's give it a rest shall we! Black looks better IMHO, and afterall who's car is this?

DesignBuild wrote:
Take a look at factory press photos in the archives on TheSamba or any of the brochures for the 1972, 1973, 1974, etc. and see if any have black fender bead. You will find only pictures of the Beetle or Super Beetle with body colored fender beading. Even the factory photos are obviously not black fender bead even when the pictures are in black and white.

The fender bead on every 1973 Beetle or Super Beetle only came in body color from the factory and there are hundreds of photos on TheSamba to prove it.

Last edited by CWAVE on Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:20 am; edited 2 times in total
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. Glad to hear Buggeee that my thread has given you a push.

Still not nice enough yet to take it out on the road yet. Probably another month before the roads are nice enough for that.

Thomas

Buggeee wrote:

vamram wrote:
Indeed this is one of those builds that leave me shaking my head in awe and humility. And there are quite a few here.

pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Black is the correct colour for the Sports Bug fender bead. I have owned this one since it was new. It came standard with the black bumpers, trim etc. Blue stripe on bumper was body colour. The body stripe kit was never installed. There was a list of Sport Bug options that could be dealer installed. I wish I had asked for a copy of the list.

Fog lights, roof rack, bra and black trim pop out windows were not standard. Original bra was checkered. Not seen is the S&S header and muffler. I had an S&S header installed at the dealer before I drove it off the lot. The current one dates back to the late 80's. Tires were 175/70R15 Continentals. Spare is original. Wheels are 5.5x15. Similar to the 914 Porsche ones but with a different offset. Current tires are Conti Pro Contacts - 195/65R15 rear and 175/65R15 front. Gas heater was standard equipment in Canada for this model.

Oh and for other bugs, the fender beading is body colour. I have a 73 standard as well and still with the original fender beads. FYI.
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Sports Bug Reply with quote

Pittwagen,

Very nice car.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: